KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    J, what air filter do you use?
  2. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    UNI6245AST with Outerwears 20-1190 prefilter
    Perun likes this.
  3. Perun

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I need some clarification, I tried to find it myself, but info is to scattered.

Unifilter UNI 6245 AST is sized 2 1/2" x 4” x 6” (approx. 63 x 100 x 150 mm). From the markings on the packaging, from the pictures ttime4four posted, we see that the filter in Unifilter UP 4060A kit is smaller - 50 x 80 x 100.

I guess Uni 6245 AST provides more flow? Are there any installation issues with larger filter? What map you use?

Sorry if this was talked about before, I couldn't find it.
  4. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had already been running the larger 6245 prior to installing the Rade tank, so I chose to continue running it. The 6245 won't work with Rade's included throttle body adapter/ IAT sensor mounting tube, so my IAT sensor is zip-tied to the frame next to the filter... using the included filter/tube would make for a cleaner install, I just liked my bigger filter because there is more surface area so (in my mind) it should be able to go longer between cleanings (clogging.) If you measure the throttle body you'll find that it is smaller than 2 1/2" O.D., but when I ran the 2 1/4" O.D. filters a few years ago, they were pretty snug making them very difficult to install (especially coated in oil!) and ended up living a short life due to the rubber splitting.

I'm using a slightly modified EVO1 map but my bike is an "old" '09. I enjoy tinkering with TuneECU so I'm regularly making small changes, but in all reality, the bike ran fine with the pod filter and the standard EVO1. The throttle map is where the tune benefited the most, and all the '13+ bikes already have that pretty well sorted. I have no idea how my fueling compares to the '14+ "dealer install only" EVO1 map or the '14+ factory fuel map for that matter.

On another note: I personally DID NOT have any clearance issues with the fuel pump adapter banjo bolt and the main tank. Everything bolted right up with no modifications using the included hardware. Not at all doubting ttime, only giving another point of reference.
    Perun likes this.
  5. El Lobo

El Lobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Unifilter 4245 AST with Outerwears prefilter 20-1023. This Size will work with Rade throttlebody + sensor.
    Perun likes this.
  6. Perun

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks! I will probably try 4245 AST/Outerwears prefilter 20-1023 combo.
  7. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considered the use of the smaller Uni 4060A or the larger Uni 6245 AST. I actually purchased the 6245 with the intention of using it. Here were my considerations:
    • what to do with the temp sensor. In the OEM configuration, it sits protected with clean air moving around it inside the airbox. @The Letter J zip ties it to the frame
    • what would be the purpose of the smaller vs larger filter - in my opinion both would have the same airflow characteristics - the restriction is the same - the diameter of the coupling to the throttle body
    • as mentioned above, the larger 6245 offers an advantage of larger surface area. that could provide a longer service interval between clogging. I was going to run an Outerwear pre-filter cover in either case. I was pleasantly surprised to see 4060A kit actually include a filter sleeve that goes over the smaller pod filter. This extends the cleaning surface (close to the 6245) and it can be pulled off the pod to clean. Advantage of avoiding the need to clean the base filter pod and another stage of filtering.
    Ultimately, I decided to use the supplied Uni 4060A Kit so that I can keep the temp sensor protected and in a clean air stream. To me - the risk of messing up the fuel air mixture because introducing variables of how, where the temp sensor is tied up was not worth the advantage of a longer service interval.
  8. ttime4four

Oddometer:
    Yes - the fuel pump holder needs to be drilled to provide a path for the fuel to get to the pump. Check RallyRaid's website for detailed instructions on how they do it for their tanks.

I don't have experience here, but the '14+ bikes have an adaptation mechanism. If you search for the "15-minute idle" procedure, the bike should adjust itself for minor changes to intake and exhaust.

Rade's website says the tank capacity is 5.5 liters - there wasn't a change from the old design to the new (abs) design. I did a water test before installing and I measured 6.25 liter capacity in the abs version.

I got out for a 50 mile wet ride today and I noticed NO discernible change in noise or performance. I don't hear the intake, but I do continue to hear the Wings exhaust (rapppp) and the tires on the road.

I was already running an EVO intake cover, UniAustralia Filter, EVO1 Map and Wings Exhaust. The only noticeable difference is the added fuel range.
    :clap

The biggest single improvement to the bike's performance was after adding the EVO1 Map.

Consider this for a moment. The opening on the OEM Airbox snorkel is about half - two-thirds the size of the throttle body opening. Most of the air-box changes remove this restriction -- EVO1 intake cover, RallyRaid filter, pod filters, etc. Those will ALL provide the same air input volume (none offer "charged" air).

Hope this helps!
  9. Gregarious

Gregarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great write up and pics. I ordered mine 1 1/2 weeks ago and I'm looking forward to the install.

I *love* that this comes with a petcock. I hadn't noticed that before and was already planning to put one on. I added one to my former RR tanks and it loved the convenience. You only need to tap into the extra few if needed. Saves having to remove your seat at the next fill up unless you've needed to tap into the fuel.
  10. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Just a quick word to say "Thanks" to TTime, and other posters on this product.

I'm redoing my 690 and have bought this tank. Also building a fairing project using parts of Rade's fairing product. Will post on my build thread here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...nture-bike-build-by-dummy-for-dummies.942612/

... that way this thread stays focused on the tank only.

So far, quite happy with the build quality of the tank.

I'll add that added padded strips to all three inward-facing surfaces of the tank support brackets - probably unnecessary, but just a bit of peace of mind in light of vibration, plastic-on-metal, etc.

cm
  11. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribe
  12. ttime4four

Oddometer:
    Been out riding doing a check-ride the last couple of weekends. Today - to my surprise, the fuel light came on around 125 miles since fill-up (both main and rade). Pulled over, checked the rade tank (full) and discovered that the fuel line was kinked right at the tank outlet. I had originally routed the line immediately to the right and over the front of the valve cover. This put a sharp bend in the line and cut off the fuel flow to the rear.

:dirtdog

Put it on the stand tonight and found a better fuel line route.

First pic - shows that the kink is gone (sorry no before picture).

[​IMG]

Second pic - fuel line found a space above the coolant hose and the ABS hardware.

[​IMG]

Third pic - fuel line routing on the right side. It sits well above the exhaust pipe/port and does not contact the cylinder wall.

[​IMG]

If you are wondering - I've covered the fuel line in an insulated sleeve (the fuel line is silver).

I will also report - the bike runs perfectly (if not better) with the supplied pod filter, EVO1 Tune and Wings exhaust.

:gdog
    Scott_PDX and Perun like this.
  13. KC-10ENG

Oddometer:
    Ordered! Decided to take the leap and get the tank.

Wings exhaust and Evo 1 map already installed.
  14. KC-10ENG

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for my tank to arrive. It has been two weeks plus.

Thanks.
  15. ttime4four

Oddometer:
    Mine was shipped right after Thanksgiving and took about 6 weeks. Wish he used the same shipping method that was used for my Wings exhaust, but it was worth the wait.
  16. gempie

gempie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys !

Ordered a rade garage tank for my 690 a couple weeks ago, and now during instalation i came up on some problems.
    Instead of recieving a uni filter like the website says i got a k&n filter wich is bigger and now my cable from the air filter probe is to short..
    And since my bike is new and still under warranty i dont want to cut and lenghten my electrical cable's.

And in the front of the bike where the bracket goes their is simply no place for it.
    And on the foto's on his site their is loads of place.
    Is this because i have a 2014+ model ?
    Does annyone of you guys have had same issue's with this product and what whas your solution ?

Grtz, Jeff and thx in advance.

Attached Files:

17. ttime4four

Oddometer:

Contrats on the bike and choice of the Rade tank. Also welcome to the forum - good first post. I just installed the this tank on my '14 and here are some thoughts on your two questions:

(1) Front bracket. It fits, but doesn't hang down like the photos on the Rade's install questions. It attaches to the two front airbox tabs and hangs down and to the rear (think 45* tilt to the rear). Check out the photo at Step 6 in my thread http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-auxiliary-fuel-tank.974582/page-5#post-28455644

(2) I used Rade's solution for his connector pipe and smaller filter. My harness wire fit. I think you have three options -- a) use rade's solution, b) remove the air sensor from the filter and run it "in the open" like others on this thread, c) cut, splice and extend the harness wire - you are already making enough mods that a dealer could argue that by running a pod filter you are jepardizing your warranty.

Regarding the warranty solution, in the USA - there is a law that they need to connect the mod/change you made to the failure to cause the warranty to be void. If you change your headlight and your exahust system fails - they cannot say the headlight change voided the warranty.
  18. gempie

gempie n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok ty for the reply and indd fixed my problems with the bracket. And for the probe gonna change filter to a smaller one and the problems should be solved.
    Before i bought the tank i asked my dealer if it was ok to change it and he had no problems. but tampering with the cable's is a bridge to far for me ;)
  19. SquatBirdJunior

SquatBirdJunior Special Snowflake

Oddometer:
    Under the Earths Sun..........................Now
    Received the kit with the K&N filter RU-1760, might be two weeks before I dive into this project. I guess I should see if all fits before ordering a pre-filter.
    RadeTank.jpg

Also, received the foot pegs, really nice.
  20. KC-10ENG

Oddometer:
    I got my kit in the mail a couple of days ago as well. I am making a couple of changes before install.

1. Ordered a 4245 AST UNI filter. I also ordered some pre-filters.
    2. Took the stiff metal conduit off of the fuel line. I will replace it with an insulated cover.
    3. Ordered some foil tape for the bottom of the tank.

More to come.