KTM 690 Clearing Fault Codes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cord4530, Aug 4, 2011.

1. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this has already been covered hundreds of times. I've tried searching here, and on Google using various terms, but can't seem to find an answer to this question.

Is there a way to clear the fuel injection (FI) fault codes on the KTM 690 (mine is an SMC) w/o having the dealer diagnostics tool?

My fuel pump recently went bad (pump shut off after ~2 hours of use), and I got a code 41. I've now replaced the pump/filter assembly (bike only has 3400 miles on it). I was just curious if there was a way to clear the codes, or if I have to take it to a KTM dealer (closest is *not* very close to me). Alternatively, are any of the laptop interfaces (Tuneboy, or TuneECU) good for clearing the codes?

Thanks for any information you can share.
    -Dan
  2. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Have you tried disconecting the battery and then doing the 15 minute idle process? Im just taking a stab, but that may solve your issue.
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    TuneEcu will erase codes, I've done it many times
  4. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    having the tune ecu program and cable means you never HAVE to take the bike to a dealer again:clap
  5. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips! I did have the battery out, but I didn't do a 15 minute idle. I'll pull the battery cable again, then let it idle and see if that does the trick or not.

If it doesn't I'll have to do some reading to decide which of the two tuning software I should go with.
    -Dan
  6. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    and you can get the cable from CJ Designs.
  7. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    My cable from CJ Designs arrived, and I got connected just fine. When I go in to the diagnostics mode and clear the codes, they just come right back. Initially I was thinking that they weren't actually clearing. But the FI light on the dash does go out for a few seconds...then comes back on. Now I'm beginning to think that there really is a problem.

The codes from TuneECU are: P1231 and P1232
    These indicate a short to the battery for either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay.

I notice that when I turn the key on (engine not started), the fuel pump just runs constantly. I don't remember it doing this before. Any tips? Does our bike even have a fuel pump relay? I see three relays under the seat, but I can't find any place where they are labled. Thanks for any tips/advice you can share.
    -Dan
  8. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a relay problem. If the fuel pumps is running when you turn on the key and does not fill, it may mean the pump is not strong enough to hit the correct pressure. Or, perhaps you could have a clogged injector.
  9. Roadcat

Roadcat The Lordly Keeper Of

Oddometer:
    Which on the 690 wouldn't be an unusual problem :eek1
  10. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    Great points!

The bike runs just fine. Starts, idles, and rides normally. I would think if the injector was clogged, or the fuel pump wasn't building enough pressure that it would run poorly. If the injector was plugged slightly open such that the pump couldn't build pressure I would think the engine would be completely flooded. But it starts fine even if I leave the key on (and pump running) for quite a while before starting.

I didn't remove the pressure regulator. I know that the wires for the pump attach there. I assumed it was just an electrical feedthrough for the tank. Do any of you know if the regulator does anything with the power feed to the pump?

Thanks again for any tips.
    -Dan
  11. Jagiela

Jagiela n00b

Oddometer:
    can you let me know where to go at tune ECU to erase codes?