[KTM 690 Duke '08] - Clutch lever sensor/switch

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by macutan, Jul 25, 2010.

1. macutan

macutan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I hope I can get someone here that might be able to help me with this issue...

Motorcycle: KTM 690 Duke '08
    Issue: It will not start on first gear (having the clutch lever pulled); only from neutral.

I took a picture of the area underneath the clutch and I seem to be missing a small plate (see within red circle) that I somehow remember it was there,.. (that missing piece connects that thick pin from the clutch onto the white round little switch when the clutch is pulled)

My issue is that I do not know what part to order as I do not know if that piece goes from the clutch lever or from the switch...

From bikebandit i pull the schematic
    http://www.bikebandit.com/2008-ktm-...hite-usa-handlebar-controls/o/m17467sch556756

And it seems that the piece is the clutch switch (number 23 on the schematic) although when tested the switch works, it just has missing the plate connecting the clutch lever to it. (this would also make the replacement much quicker as I wouldn't have to take apart the existing switch that seems to be working).

Does that make any sense? if you have a Duke and you can take a picture of that same area and post it here to see the different it would be highly appreciated.

Any guidance will also be appreciated.

Best regards
    macutan

Attached Files:

2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Or just disable the clutch lever switch................
  3. macutan

macutan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Godsilla for the suggestion,... but I might be selling the moto at the end of the summer and I would like to leave teh bike with all the parts..., though, just for my information, and until I get that part replaced... how can i disable it?
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It's either an open circuit or a closed circuit, no other alternatives, but I don't know which, so - Find the plug where the wires join the main loom, disconnect the plug, and then use a small bit of wire to short the terminals together for those 2 wires on the loom side. Try and start it in gear. That's closing the circuit. Otherwise, disconnecting that plug will open the circuit anyway. It will work in one of the 2 possible configurations. You are simply bypassing the switch.:thumb

Once you figure it out, if it needs the wire short, try placing the ends of the wire into the rear of the plug, it's easier to affix the wire from the rear than the open front part.
  5. macutan

macutan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this... though I would still like to see if someone else can tell me about that missing piece...

rgds