KTM 690 E & TuneECU

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Maurizio, May 9, 2011.

1. jordangbbns

jordangbbns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - some Tune ECU / mapping help if it's going...

I have a 2008 690 Enduro with a Rottweiler intake and a low slung rally-style pipe (pic attached in case anyone cares). I put an EVO1 map on, with 2/4/6% maps and I'm currently running 4%. I set the F-L trim to 10,10,0,0 etc. and I have both the SAI and O2 sensor turned off. The bike runs well (never stalls) and pulls hard. Broadly speaking, I think it's probably running rich as the fan never comes on even if left idling for ages and the temp sensor never gets above 8 (definitely coolant in there before you suggest it).

Anyway, I live pretty much at sea level but I'm riding to Morocco in a few months, and will ride up to 2500m+ so I'm a bit concerned about it running properly there. I read that the L maps are the only ones that the engine remaps to changing pressure/O2 etc, so should I return the F-L switch back to normal? If so, should I then alter the L maps? I never touched them since the switch change pretty much turns them off.

I did think about turning the O2 sensor back on, but won't that just see the bike attempting to trim back to the high AFRs?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. theeiris

theeiris n00b

Oddometer:
    Guys, could you please send me your modified evo1 maps that are richier than the original evo1? My bike is running that lean on evo1 that i had a bang in the intake that whole throttle pop out..
    If you please upload your somewhere I will be very thankfull

Attached Files:

3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you read the thread as there is documentation on how to modify your exisiting maps.

I would also add that if you have been running the Evo 1 map and didnt have an issue, and now suddenly you do, then the issue is unlikely to be the map.
    Thor_du likes this.
  4. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. theeiris

theeiris n00b

Oddometer:
    So if the original evo1 shouldnt be making any trouble what could cause my problem with running lean? Got evo1 filter cover, kn air filter, wings slip on with dB killer. Valves clearence are fine + new spark plug and sparkplug cover. O2/sas turned off. Im really hopeing to fix my problem with you guys here as 690 isnt popular in Poland :)
  6. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you seeing any fault codes on TuneECU when you hook it up? Do you have the correct map for your bike's year - worth checking.
  7. theeiris

theeiris n00b

Oddometer:
    No fault codes, correct map mine is 2009 smc so I use these two KM765EU0804132EPMap, KM765EU0804132FIMap
  8. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder If the regulator/rectifier is causing a problem.
  9. theeiris

theeiris n00b

Oddometer:
    Why would it?
  10. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Voltage spikes to the ECU but, I would expect other symptoms. Have you added fuel to the map yet?

Edit: When did the issue first happen? Was it after working on the bike, I'm just thinking about valve overlap and timing, if the cam chain has jumped a tooth or two.
  11. AMa.

AMa. Topographer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jordangbbns

Switching to original F/L trim would be good idea, IMHO. Fuel trim by O2 sensor is active only on below F/L switchover point, which is 10% or 0% of throttle input in your 10,10,0,0,0,0,0 map. So practically there is no fuel trim by O2 sensor anyway. With original F/L map, you get -let's say- 40% (or something in that neigbourhood) as a closed loop - open loop threshold.

Riding in high elevations the difference in AFR will be significant. According to math, rise from 0 m to 2500 m will change barometric (ambient) pressure from 1013 hPa to 713 hPa. About 30% difference. It translates almost strictly to air density (temperature difference in Moroccan hills won't be that big) and therefore affect the AFR.

L map has an auto-correlation for air pressure, hence it uses the manifold absolute pressure as a fuel pulse reference. It works both closed and open loop. That is another good reason why you should consider the original F/L map.

F map does not take air pressure into account, AFAIK. If the air density changes from 1,20 to 0,85 (0 m to 2500 m) it will affect the AFR accordingly. You should lean out the F map by 30%. If I were you, I would build a map with:

1) Original F/L values
    2) O2 sensor active
    3) L maps with +2, +4 and +6 %-values (it will auto-correct, so the L3 will be -30 +6 = -24% compared to stock at altitude)
    4) F maps with +3, -15 and -30 %-values

If something does not go as assumed (for example 690 EFI does take air pressure into account in F map) you can switch back to map 1.

Edit: Since you have been riding almost completely on F map (F/L 10,0...) it would be a good idea to try a couple of different L map variations with original F/L before Morocco to find a nice-behaving L map.

Hope this helps,

-AMa

p.s. I managed to get rid of dirt bikes for 18 months. Then I realized that for me it was not the ride; it was the dirt ride. This time carburetted KTM 300 two-smoker. :bubba
    sprouty115 likes this.
  12. theeiris

theeiris n00b

Oddometer:
    I have replaced fuel pump, done 15minutes reset at evo1 map with o2 sensor on. Took it for a ride and it was breaking spark or there was a break in fuel that bike wasnt running smooth if you know what I mean.
    I will take the injector to injector cleaning company just in case. But I start to think that its ignition coil. It done the 15minutes reset without any problems, no stalling etc. But temperature bars was all the time 2 bellow maximum, fan didnt came in. What do you think this could be?
  13. strokie

strokie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

This is my first post here on Advrider!

I have a KTM 690 enduro with a lot of adventure spec parts installed on it.
    Engine mods are full acra system, and RR foam filter with snorkel removed.

I did just today download EP and FI maps with the Evo1 spec from TuneECU.com

I now wonder about the rotary switch under my seat.
    Are all positions Evo1 adjusted or only one position? If just one, which one corresponds to the Evo1 map?
    I dont want my engine to run lean if I for ex run the soft map (for bad fuel?)
    Ive searched but couldent find any information on the matter..

Hope you guys can help me out! :)
  14. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

You can compare the maps you downloaded from internet with the stock ones on your bike using tuneecu.
  15. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    The switch settings under the seat only affect the throttle maps and ignition so no changes to fuelling as each switch selection uses the same fuelling map.
    The EVO1 maps come with the full set of maps to allow the same functionality of the switch settings, it just now uses the fuelling at the EVO1 level.

With TuneECU and a lot of experience you can customise the mapping to apply different fuel maps to different switch positions but the mapsets available via KTM and TuneECU run the same fuel maps for each switch position.
    strokie likes this.
  16. strokie

strokie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So if I understand you correct, the map switch will still allow me to change the response of the throttle? Even with the Evo1 EP and FI loaded in the bike?
    But the fueling will be different from original in all 3 positions to suit my mods?
  17. strokie

strokie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I already have loaded the EP and FI maps into my ECU..
    And smart as I am I never saved the original maps before doing so :/
  18. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. It's possible to make it so that different positions will have different fueling but stock they're all the same, just a difference in the throttle response (and timing for the poor fuel map)
  19. strokie

strokie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I asked poorly, or you misunderstood my question.
    I want to know if, with the Evo1 map in place, I still can use the rotary switch to change throttle response.
    I understand that I can adjust the maps for each switch pos, but I dont have the knowledge to do that.
    So with the Evo1 map loaded, will changing switch pos still change my throttle response?

Im asking since I cant run the bike at the moment due to that I have to do the annual inspection on it.
    Otherwise I would just have ridden the bike in different switch positions and try it out IRL.

Hope you understand what I mean now.. :)
  20. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.