KTM 690 E & TuneECU

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Maurizio, May 9, 2011.

1. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi all,

its been ages since i used tuneecu and I am not totally sure which map I have on the bike at the moment.... brain fade.

With an aftermarket exhaust end can ( leo vince) a foam filter and the ktm open wire mesh air box cover would the standard evo mapping be good ?
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Yep, that's what it's made for.
  3. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i eventually got the map off the bike, EP map took about 30 minutes to download to the computer... found it has the standard evo1 map so im all good.

i changed the exhaust for the control test and cant remember if i put the evo 1 back on.
  4. BjörnR

BjörnR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have tried to read all thread but I may just have missed it.

Does the EVO map advance timing? The reason why I'm asking is because Husqvarna has withdrawn the Akra/Evo-map for 2017 and newer models for Husqvarna / KTM therefore the need of piggyback system like Power Commander. I have worked some with Autotune on fuel map but I'm not sure of timing ignition. I'm not really chasing max horsepower, I'm happy with Evo map equivalent.

If the EVO map do have ignition advance, how much and where? Can someone show me?

Thanks.
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Evo1? Timing should be the same as stock (except for lof mode), iirc. The map runs a bit richer though. You can compare both maps with tuneecu.
  6. BjörnR

BjörnR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aha ok, well I downloaded TuneECU (only used it once on a -13 and now have a Husky -18) but didn't see any comparison tool. Seems that every PC 5 map do have some ignition advance in them...
    Anders, can you explain what lof mode is?
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Low Octane Fuel, basically changed ignition timing in order to avoid knocking when running on less than stellar fuel.
    As for comparing maps, I think it's F5/F6/F7 or something like that in the tool - haven't used tuneecu in ages as I've replaced the stock ecu with a vortex unit.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    2013 model. I have had an issue with poor idle and the bike wanting to die at stops for several weeks. The problem got really bad this week end.
    Other than idle, the bike runs great - good acceleration and will cruise well at any rpm above about 3k.

I have checked a lot of fuel related components. My fuel pressure is right at 50. I put in a new inline filter. My injector spray looks good qualitatively

I have been playing around with TuneECU and checking things. But I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to interpreting sensor data.

Could I get some advice on how I might use TuneECU to help me diagnose this? Or point me to a place in this thread where this is discussed.

I just did a short check and I noticed that the O2 data value was really bouncing around a lot like maybe between .1 and .7 volts. But I also read where the O2 sensor doesn't have much effect on how the bike runs. I also did not have the air box hooked up to the throttle body when I did this.

Thanks for any advice
  9. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's your battery?

Had similar symptoms with my GS, both times it was down to a dead battery or poor battery connection.
  10. Jblok

Jblok Adventurer

Oddometer:

This might sound stupid, but does the Clutch switch work?
    The bike Will be put in a neutral gear mapping once the clutch is pulled.

Mine ran perfect in neutral but didn’t when stopping for lights.
    Turns out that the clutch switch did not work which let the bike believe it was still running in gear.

Give it a go I would say.
  11. Inquilino

Inquilino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll try to help you fix this:
    Please revert back to defaults (your original mapping) in TuneEcu, modifying mapping will make things worse.
    You said you add a new Inline Filter, why? If you are not sure, remove it, will introduce additional fuel restriction.
    • Did you replace the fuel pump filter?
    • Did you replace the air filter?
    • Can you complete a full 15' idle reset?
  12. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are the original maps for the 2013? I had them saved then of course the computer hard drive died.
  13. Inquilino

Inquilino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe should be this one: KM765EU12B0215FIMap.hex
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a brand new battery and it is well charged.
    The clutch switch seems to work fine. The idle does work better in neutral, but I attribute any difference to the residual clutch drag when the lever is pulled in.
    It doesn't always die with the clutch in at stops, maybe 30% of the time.

To be clear I replaced the fuel filter in the tank. Maybe I misspoke by calling it an inline filter.
    I opened up the tank to check the old filter because one guy said the exact symptoms as me and found his plastic filter split.
    I figured as long as I had it apart I would replace the filter since it had about 7k miles on it. BTW the old filter had a little damage but I did not see any splitting.

I remapped the ECU about 5 years ago when I first got the bike and put a FMF Q4 filter and EVO1 air box cover with lots of holes in it.
    I have been delighted with the bike's performance ever since up until about a month ago.

BTW the bike is also doing a lot of popping on deceleration. This started at same time the idle problems cropped up.
    Another thing is that the problems seem to be getting worse. I tried to do the 15 min reset last week. The bike died about 20 sec into the procedure. I restarted it and managed to complete 15 minutes.

I then took the bike for a ~10 mile test ride. It didn't die at stops, but didn't seem quite right.
    I then took it for a long ride a few days later. First 10 miles were okay, but then it started the business of dying regularly at stops and stayed that way for 160 miles.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

What I would really like is information on the details of what all the sensors are that TuneECU collects data from, what the values should be and what might be wrong if the values are not correct.
  15. Inquilino

Inquilino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replace or clean the air filter.
    The values can be found here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-690-efi-2008-2013-idiots-guide.931664/
  16. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Popping on high vacuum situations implies an intake-side air leak ... at least to me.

The thing you should be looking for is something that changed or degraded. I'd pull off your chassis grounds and wire brush them before snugging them down again.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  17. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, spraying a little starting fluid on the connection points will help you find a leak.

Caution - do this on a freshly started, COLD engine...

It also could possibly be an exhaust leak. Changes to back-pressure can change how the combustion is scavenged on the exhaust cycle and it can pop/backfire.
  18. Inquilino

Inquilino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find the opposite, the popping is because the mixture is TOO RICH on decel, but I can be wrong.
    Did you replace your AIR FILTER?
  19. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Yes, you're also right. The two have different sounds though -- lean due to an air leak is a sharp crackle, that happens almost immediately when the throttle is closed (think rally car) rich is more of a pop/thud that happens when coasting down with the throttle closed.
  20. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just fixed what sounds like the exact same issues (popping on decel, stalling at stops, and horrible low throttle response) by having the injector professionally cleaned.

The spray pattern also looked OK as you described, but after cleaning all of the symptoms went away and the bike just worked.

At first I tried Noahs field fix:

which helped a bit, but the professional clean was the real solution.