KTM 690 E & TuneECU

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Maurizio, May 9, 2011.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found and fixed the problem. The rubber vacuum seal nipple I put on the intake area fitting when I desmogged the bike several years ago was missing.
    I put a new one on, did the 15 min reset. And the bike runs great.

I put a few more details in the Wunderfest thread.
  2. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the nipple on the left side of the intake spigot, you can unscrew that nipple and thread a bolt in its place and never have that problem again.

Edit: I want to say that it was an M5/.8 x 8mm long bolt? Use some thread sealant to avoid vacuum leaks.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one. I could not get a 6 mm bolt to thread in. I thought about trying a 5 mm, but not until after I had put the nipple back in.

At one point I checked the nipple and found it threaded perfectly into a 6 mm nut. That made me doubtful a 5 would work.
    A 5 mm bolt was way too small for the 6 mm bolt.

I am going to go with a hose clamp for now and take a look at a better solution when I get into my winter maintenance projects.
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you decide to thread something in there, be wary of where the chips (metal fragments) go. You certainly don't want anything in your engine.

Also, if you stay with a cap make sure you use a silicone cap. Most commonly you see them available in Vinyl and the difference is significant in terms of cracking and replacement.
    wbbnm likes this.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a black rubber one on there, Vinyl?. I kind of think that the way things degraded first gradually and then suddenly that the rubber one did crack and allowed a small leak and then eventually just fell off creating a big leak.
  6. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, very likely Vinyl. You basically have to search for Silicone to make sure that's what you get. I have mine sealed with a silicone cap and a zip-tie and it's still looks fine 6-years later.
    dad2bike likes this.
  7. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a CCM GP 450, which uses the same ECU as the non CANbus versions on the 690.
    I have questions for those that have delved into the darker corners of the ECU. .
    I have a good working map that I am ostly happy with, apart from behaviour under very light throttle. I sorted the L table by setting the F-L switch to 10-10-10-10-10-10 then fine tuning with a wide-band sensor.
    Now, I am working on bringing the F and L tables into synch, from the factory they have very different fuel quantities for the same conditions. I set the F-L switch to 0 across the board, but have found that the ECU is still using the L table. No matter what changes I make to the F in the 0-4% tps/sub 4500 rpm range, the AFR only changes when I modify the L table...
    Anyone else seen this, or know if there is a threshold point below which the ECU still uses the L table?
    I tried asking on the new TuneECU forum, but that place is crammed with Triumph users wanting to know what map they should use I recall Ama. did a lot of work and research on the ECU behaviour, I believe he no longer has his 690 and has moved on...
  8. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, i just got my 10' 690 Enduro, and want to do somethinh with it. Anyone got good tips regarding maps?

Kinda like the silence of the stock muffler, but will probably change it, and go full retard.
    Used for enduro riding, so, smooth low rev power, less jerkienes is wanted.

Bone stock for now.

Know my way around tuneecu and have a wideband lambda available.
  9. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey chaps. My 2010 690R is running a RR foam intake, wings exhaust, Ama throttle relative EP map, Evo 1 fuel map with one set to +3% fuel and one set to +6% fuel. It runs fantastically on both but much smoother on the +6% fuel.

No moans or problems at all. . Still love it and am struggling to find a reason to change it to a 500/501!
    El Ponkin likes this.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what the numbers in the TuneEcu FI F maps mean precisely. I gather that they are somehow related to the amount of fuel injected.

I am under the impression that the amount of fuel injection is proportional to the injection pulse length. I have looked at this pulse with an oscope on my bike. I get numbers like 3 ms for the pulse width at idle. The numbers in one of the FI F3 tables are in the range of 1700 at idle speed and nearly closed throttle.

I started reading this thread from the beginning and have done some searches but did not find what I wanted before my patience ran out.

If there are any good descriptive posts on this topic I would love to read them.

Thanks.

BTW I am also interested in information on when in the fire cycle fuel gets injected. On my bike it seems to be injected during the post-fire down stroke at idle.

Learning this is mainly a winter time project for me. I have no particular problem I am looking to solve.
  11. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try looking thru this thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-690-efi-2008-2013-idiots-guide.931664/
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a second wind and did some more searching. El Ponkin's TuneECU tutorial was helpful. He did briefly mention that the F map entries were in microseconds.

And in looking more closely at the column headings I found that the first several columns are separated by only 1% of max throttle opening.

So in looking again I discovered that there were plausible places where the FI pulse width was in the 3 millisecond range.

It also seems that the ECU is probably using an L map at idle. These maps give FI pulse width vs rpm and manifold pressure.

I was still pretty surprised that I couldn't find a good written tutorial on how to use TuneECU to edit maps. There is lots of info on how to download new maps.

(There are a couple of videos with interesting titles, but I didn't try looking at them. I only find videos useful maybe 10% of the time.)
    sprouty115 likes this.