KTM 690 E & TuneECU

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Maurizio, May 9, 2011.

1. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The EU regs only forced them to move to locked ECUs on new models. This move to remove the old maps probably comes down to their intellectual property (copyright/patent/trademark) Like it or not, but the official maps are KTM's work and their property, and hosting them like Tuneecu did is against the law. Frankly, I'm a little surprised they've lasted as long as they have.

There were also some mentions of how it could affect the bikes of people who don't know what they're doing, and how they could possibly blame KTM for damage that they've caused (which they could also hide, by putting the stock map back), which could also be a cause.
  2. Rapakon

Rapakon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The files are hosted in a public box.com account. I don't know if i'm allowed to post the link here.
    So have a look at the tuneecu.com homepage:

tuneecu.jpg
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Vortex here :-)
    mrwwwhite likes this.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I understand. But still seems like you are buying a new TV because you can't change channels on the old one....
    wbbnm, Anders- and Thor_du like this.
  5. Thor_du

Thor_du Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx alot mate.
  6. mrwwwhite

mrwwwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but they don’t fit new models...
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Partly true :lol3
    I did want to get rid of the semi-ride by wire setup though, so there’s that.
  8. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why? I actually miss it now, having upgraded to a 990 with regular direct-connection throttle.
  9. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Because I want control of what the bike does.
    The stock setup almost got me into trouble in a curve when it decided to delay the throttle input for what felt like forever (but most likely was a second and a half or so).

Miss the cold start during the winter months though!
  10. AMa.

AMa. Topographer

Oddometer:
    Hi @magwych , sorry for a huge delay, I don't have a 690 in my garage anymore so I visit here very rarely.

Do you have O2 disabled? If not, the ECU probably aims for 14,7 AFR in low engine load no matter what you do with your mapping. Even with O2 disabled, I logged weird AFR numbers with my wideband sensor. It seemed like ECU was still adapting the fueling pulse, probably using CLT, IAT and/or AAT sensors. I'm pretty sure the ECU tweaks the fueling pulse beyond what is visible in F or L maps.

IMHO, I did not like 10,10,10, or 0,0,0 map in my '12, I think there is a reason why KTM engineers designed an L map. Probably because in low throttle openings manifold absolute pressure is more precise way to determine right fueling pulse width. I managed to find the cure for my snatchy light throttle with less aggressive throttle curve in EP map.
    magwych likes this.
  11. AMa.

AMa. Topographer

Oddometer:
    They are microseconds. As I mentioned earlier, the ECU might tweak the fueling pulse width from what it reads in the map, from O2 in closed loop mode or from various sensors. Also, the fueling pulse width in the KTM map may be the effective pulse width or total pulse width (including injector dead time). With your o-scope you are measuring total pulse width. I don't recommend fueling tweaks as low as 1-2% if you don't have wideband sensor, dyno and stabile conditions. You can put 5-20% more fuel, it does not harm your engine. Yes, 8 AFR feels soft and sluggish but it is the way to find out. With a +5%, +10%, +15% 1-3 maps you probably will be able to notice the difference in ride. Then, if (for example) +10% map feels the best, next build a map with +7%, +10% and +13%. You probably can settle with it.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree with some of this. I would not say that TuneECU "hosts" the KTM maps. All it does is read them, display them, and load them to the bike. Maybe allowing mods is an issue. But still to me no different than what many software packages allow you to do to data files.

I don't see why changing the map would be any different than making any other engine modification in terms of blaming KTM for any damage that results
  13. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could download the original KTM maps from the Tuneecu website, if that's not hosting then I don't know what is. You're still free to load the maps off your bikes and modify them to your liking.
  14. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Ama. thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your reply and know that your attentions lie elsewhere now.
    I did get make some progress with this. I kept thr O2 sensor enabled because BMW/CCM have set the ECU to disable the sensor when the mapping switch is closed. So, for normal on/off road work I can run with the switch open. I am hoping for better economy with the O2 enabled. Switch closed the O2 sensor is off and I have added 4% fuel across the board.
    The ON-OFF throttle behaviour is, I believe, caused by the way that the ECU manages the transition from F to L. I was able to reproduce the conditions that induced it and used the sensor output to monitor. I could see that fuel pulse width dropped to 0 very briefly - the ECU was cutting off the fuel. Because I could make this happen at will I could check this several times over. I could see that was happening around the F-L transition. I wonder how that transition is managed. Does the ECU timeslixe between the 2 tables for a zone either side. For example, asdume a fixed throttle and a decelratong engine: Is it working out fuelling from both F and L tables, then as the switchover approaches use F for 1500ms, and L for 500ms. As rpm drop we get 1000ms F and 1000ms L table, then 500ms F and 1500ms L. That might explain the jerkiness, L table increases the RPM, then we get a slice of fuelling from the F table. That cuts the fuel because the F table says that particular RPM/TPS combination is overrun. The L table fuelling is then used, accelerating the engine again. With a steady hand, I could hold the throttle and have the engine cycling back and forth like this.

Looking at the tables around the transition I could see that they were very different. There was often more than 20% difference in fuel between F and L, under the same conditions.
    By using 0-0-0-0-0 and 20-20-20-20-20, I worked on L and F tables at and around the switchover. That allowed me get F and L tables that supply similar fuel under the same conditions.

Like you, I had a tablet strapped to the bars to monitor the sensors. I also have an off road route to play on. My O2 sensor did not play up as much as yours. It is mounted on the Innovations M12/M18 adaptor, could it be that your was affected by thr physical pressure pulses at low RPM?
  15. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have list which correlates the hex file names with the map name/bike/year?
  16. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to unlock the newer ECU's? Have a '2019 701 with Coober and was just wondering if there's a better /more direct way to re-map the ECU.
  17. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to load EU market maps on US market models?

Specifically, I want to load the KM765EU0804031FI/EP map files onto a US market 2009 model year 690 Enduro R
  18. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi mate, I was looking for the same thing, and found that the internet archive's Wayback machine has several snapshots of the tune list.

While I'm in here: Would anyone happen to have aMa's throttle maps for a 2012-13 bike kicking about? I'm doing my mate's bike on Saturday but don't have access to a Windows machine here.
    Mahhbechh likes this.
  19. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I should have AMa’s maps that I ran on my 2012 PM me your email if you haven’t already gotten them
  20. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tusen tack!!