Ktm 690 Enduro Issues & Fixes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Witsend, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Witsend

Witsend Just Ktm 690 Enduro Mad

Oddometer:
    Speedo Issue. I have done approx 4500kms on my unit in a few months of ownership. Todate the speedo looses its read out of the speed & temperature every now and then. I have pulled the connector off, checked the connection and connected again to no avail. The second issue is that the LCD display has blown some of the screen which leaves me without being able to read the exact KM's travelled and also the trip meter can not be read. I say blown as there is powder on the display not water.

This issue was reported to my local KTM dealer (Penrith) some 3 months ago and only today I have been advised that it will be mid November until a new speedo is shipped as they are sourcing a new maker for this as they have had so many problems with the existing manufacture.

Rear Mud Guard shearing bolts. I have found that the rear fender has broken 2 heads off the bolts that hold the mud guard to the brake fender. Trying to use a easy out, it has sent the bolt through (almost) the top of the guard. Im replacing these with Brass Top Hat looking things that will completely remove the crap plastic thread barrels. So be aware of this defect.

Damage from a get off. One thing to note if you plan to drop the bike on the right hand side.. :-) Well not on purpose, but trying to get up a rocky ledge (50 stories high) well it seemed it at the time, I lost forward movement and tried to put my right leg down on thin air, and over we went... Bike crashed down a tad.. after recovering and picking the bike up. I found that the only thing that saved the fuel tank was 5 ml of the right plastic guard. I would suggest to all to look into getting a crash bar that protects this area. If anyone finds one, then please post it here for all to leverage off.

No Throttle Response. Is it me..?? but Im sure on a number of occassions I have started off (after warm engine) and I almost drop this thing as the power does not come on. It has also happened into a couple of turns you expect power (and yes I did twist the thing on the right hand side) but no get up. The motor is still idling, takes a second and on the power comes.

Undocumented Neutral. Im finding that there is a Neutral inbetween 5th & 6th. I read that the problem should go away after a few km's but having 4500kms the problem is still there.. You simply have to keep upwarded preasure after declutching to ensure a gear is grabbed and not a whine of revs.

Head Shake. Reading posts it seems common that most get a head shake at 100km, yet mine does not get this until 152km. I have changed all the dampers from Hard to Soft and everything in between and can not replicate the 100km issue. Maybe its the torque of the bearing nut...?? Im running standard enduro Tyres not Knobbies.

Bigger Fuel Tank. Has anyone had hard word that a bigger tank is being moulded and if so, how much and when..??

Bash Plate. I have done a couple of rides that you would think would have damaged the skid plate / engine. But credit due.. It has only scratches. So is going to a metal one the way to go..??

Soft Pack Fuel Cells. Does anyone know where I can get a soft pack fuel container for extended trips. They can be folded when not in use and packed in a bag. I heard these are out there somewhere.

Repair Manual. After a couple of months of waiting, I finally received my Repair manual for the 690e (CD). BUT, what I actually got was the Repair Manual 2007 for the 690 LC4 Supermoto. Art No 3.206.045. Can someone / anyone confirm that this one can be used for the 690 enduro 2008 model. I hesitate doing valves etc if they are not the same settings...

Having said all the above.. I love this bike for both commuting to work (100kms) and also on local Fire Trails.

This post is from Sydney Australia.
  2. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I'm interested too in a crash guard.

I noticed too that area is badly protected ...

Check your air filter often. Dust gets through.

Paul Jr
  3. skritikos

skritikos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. Get the hard parts bash plate.
  5. Witsend

Oddometer:

Thanks Paul for the feedback. Im looking into the crash guard and also after each ride I clean out the Air Filter. Yes it does collect a tonne even though its under the seat. Im going to fit a Air Filter sock as a just in case as well.
  6. Witsend

Oddometer:
    Skritikos. Thanks for this... I searched everwhere and only found a chinese version prior to your post. Yes the 20ltr would be the best.
  7. Witsend

Oddometer:
    Lumpyboy. I will look further into this as it would be a costly exercise if it goes wrong. Thanks for the feedback.
  8. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
  9. Witsend

Oddometer:
    Thanks Seth S.. ;-) Looks a good unit.
  10. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    The picture of the flatland looks nice, but the plate is very short. I do not like the way they fix it behind, near the shock ... Lack of coverage there. Somebody here have posted pictures installed once ...

But I agree it's better than Hard Parts ...

Waiting for Crankshaft / Renazco efforts though ...

Paul Jr
  11. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Revision two of the skidplate is getting mounted on my 690 this week for testing this weekend. The newest version should be sweet!:lol3
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Revision two of the skidplate is getting mounted on my 690 this week for testing this weekend. The newest version should be sweet!:lol3

Revision one has held up very,very well. I high sided my 690 going 60mph at the last rallymoto event and the side wings on the plate protected the bike extremely well. The only damage the bike suffered was a bent shift lever and a broken clutch lever. :deal I wish I had a plate for my ass.....

[​IMG]

It makes a nice drinking mug after a long day of riding:lol3

[​IMG]
  13. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had seen that earlier- i ordered teh hardparts skidplate like a week ago for 150 smackers.. doh!
  14. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    I'm not impressed, my wifes beats me better than that ... :lurk

Your drinking mug has a rubber damper stuck on the right plastic stud. For some reasons, when I remove my HardParts skid plate, the same rubber gromet get stuck too. It's because chain oil acccumulates there. Don't lose it !!!

I'd like to have a reminder of the aluminium thickness and flavor ... 6061 T6 3/16" I hope ?

Do you intend to drill some holes in front - let's say 2 or 3 x 3/4" dia. - to help cooling, and two or three more at the bottom to help garden hose washing ?

Last question, will we get it before chrismass ??? Otherwise I'll be out of gift suggestions to my wife ...

Finaly, I'll have an "experienced skid plate" for sale at half price pretty soon.

Paul Jr
  15. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    My personal plate is 1/4" alum, so its basically bullet proof. The new plates will be 1/8" alum and yes, with vent holes in all the right places. The plates should be ready for Xmas, I'm sure. I'm dropping my 690 off tomorrow for the fit up andn then testing:deal

My Wife is Sicilian..... She can lay on a beat down:lol3
  16. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Your wife is Sicilian ? Interesting. So I can only imagine you made up that story "I high sided my 690 going 60mph at the last rally" to cover, euh !? YOUR ASS :lol3

More seriously, what is the thickness of the Hard Parts bash plate ? I want something substentialy thicker than the OEM.

Again what is the flavour of aluminium 6061 T6 hopefully ?

You get the picture ? I need something far stronger than the OEM aluminium.

Paul Jr

P.s. while you are at it, why not designing an ass plate ? :lol3
  17. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    The flat land unit is 3/16" thick if I remember correctly. A skid plate in 1/8" thick aluminum should be sufficient for most bikes if built properly. A hit that destroys said skid plate will probably do a lot more to the rider....such that a 3/16" or 1/4" plate would have made little difference.

The flat land unit is short....but then again my justification was that it was a lot less then then the KTM unit and it was available so I could at least get out and ride with a lot more protection then the plastic has to offer. When better skid plates become available I will reconsider my options...or I will modify this one.
  18. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Your justification is correct. Flatland price is better AND the plate is also better than the OEM.

To me 1/8 " do not seems thick enough. But before I swear on it, I will mesure the OEM plate tonite ... All I know know is that the HardParts plate, is not hard enough.

You have to consider the alloy too. A 7xxx or 6xxx grade aluminium T6 maybe far stronger than many other flavour.

Paul Jr
  19. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Your higher alloys of Aluminum will be stiffer and harder in that they will not gouge so much. The plate on my 950 is 5052 and has worked for the last 18000 miles without any issues...big hits and all. Point being I don't think the alloy will be too much of an issue here.
  20. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I personally don't get worked up about 1/4" vs. 1/8". I have run all kinds of aluminum plates on my dirt bikes over the years -- bikes that take far more punishment than the typical enduro d/s bike will -- and never had a problem. I cracked a case once in the nasty boulder fields and it was due to snapping off a footpeg and not the bash plate. Just stay away from carbon and plastic if you plan to be in a lot of rocks. If the FL plate is cheaper, it is probably best route to go. I have Flatland and Utah Sports plates on some of my dirt bikes.