KTM 690 Enduro - Long Haul - Alaska Bound

Discussion in 'Americas' started by _lee, May 5, 2019.

1. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    _lee,

I don't really notice a difference in ride comfort from the Mitas E07 rear versus the TKC 80 rear. I get twice the miles out of the Mitas (>7000 miles) versus the TKC80s.
    I ride my long trips loaded with gear. That additional 50 Lbs may lessen some of the effects you mentioned.

I have nice, big, soft foam hand grip covers from day one of owning the bike. They are comfy and squishy for my hands. They lessen the hand vibes a lot.

As uncomfortable as this bike may be, it beats walking:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ridi...t-on-a-dirt-bike.1242767/page-2#post-32858111

Dave
  2. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 690 and love it. I have a 1200 GS and love it too. I find more than about 200 miles a day on the 690 painful. I know people have ridden them to AK, but it sounds horrible to me.

My 690 has been very reliable.
    I run Heidenou Scouts on it and like them. Not so buzzy on the highway and nice grip on gravel roads. You only need knobbies if you go hard on single track.

I lived in AK for decades and worked on the pipeline. I spent many years working at the 4 pump stations north of the Brooks Range. I saw all types of bikes travel the haul road (bicycles, antique cars, horses, walkers). You don’t need a small trail bike. Here’s the deal, it is a well maintained gravel road unless wet or being graded. Then it doesn’t matter what you are on.

Have fun. Bring bug-dope.
  3. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition to bug-dope, what mosquito protection gear do you recommend?