KTM 690 Enduro maintenance vs. my F650 Dakar

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GSBS, Apr 2, 2009.

1. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    For the past 25 months I've been the very satisified owner of a 2003 F650 Dakar that has been almost trouble free in the 50K-plus miles I've put on her.

I'm now looking seriously at the KTM 690 Enduro, but would like to get some real world (not dealer hype) idea of what to expect in the way of maintenance on the bike.

I understand the 690 doesn't require the oil changes after practically every ride like the more race-oriented KTM singles do, but I'd like to hear from some 690 owners just what they are doing and when, such as:

Oil changes - interval (miles/hours) and how much time does it take to do.
    Valve check/adjustment - interval and time to perform service
    Air filter, spark plug, etc. - interval and time to perform service

Also, are there any common problems on this relatively new model that will require preventative fixing on my part (like the doohicky on a KLR)?

My Dakar gets fresh oil and filter every 4K miles and has never used a drop (clock now showing 55K miles). Valves have been in spec since I got the bike with 4K miles on it/check every 12K. Everything else has just been regular wear items - tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads, etc.

I realize I've probably been spoiled with the bulletproof Rotax and minimal service it's required thus far, but I would like to know just what to expect after going Orange.

Thanks!
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    I thought about this same change, but then I thought some more.

I've found by looking at people who've done this change you will need to do the following maintenance:
    • Regularly let air out of the over-inflated ego that typifies a KTM rider.
    • Tweak your pronunciations of the words Bro to bra, and yes to yahhhhhhhh!
    • Lower your appreciation for good imported beer to that of oil tray sludge, i.e. Coors Light or Bud Light, because that's all you'll be able to afford.
    • Tighten up the strings on your bank account to be able to afford the upkeep on the motorcycle.
    For those of you who take my comments too seriously, as they are in gest :fyyff
  3. Hair

Hair Why oh why am I a Hairy guy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can down load the 690 manual off the KTM Site.
    I recently did that and looked up the exact info that you are asking about.
  4. trailhawg

trailhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a 690 and the oil change intervals are every 3000/miles. I can't recall how often they reccomend checking the valves. It's no less than every 3000/miles I'm almost certain. These bikes are very durable and low maintenance compared to the ktm race bikes.
  5. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Very helpful.

I tried to get on ktm.com and I guess it is down. My browser (Safari) could not find it anyway.
  6. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    Oil change every 3k miles and valve checks every 6k. Here and on Thumpertalk (?) someone put up a DIY on the valve check and it doesn't look bad. They do use shims so it's more difficult than a screw & locknut set up but it looks like everything's easy to get to.

Issues:
    There were 3 common problems on the 08s that were replaced/fixed under recalls.
    --The 08s had bad gauge displays that were replaced in a recall
    --The 08s had bushings that they revised (tighten up tolerances.)
    --Early 08s had an issue where the reluctor ring that attaches to the flywheel was shifting, causing persistent stalling issues.

I've found mine to be tough and well screwed-together. It hasn't burned a drop of oil, nor had crap in the oil during changes that I've had on other bikes. Basically I expect it to be like other friends' KTMs that have suffered years of abuse & kept running well.

I've just done oil changes and cleaned the chain and rode the thing. The oil change is just like any other, save that there's two oil filters instead of one. It takes no extra time over other bikes I've had.
    Jeff
  7. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    You must be a KLR owner:rofl
    Remember the OP is on a BMW (bring more wallet):rofl
  8. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    I actually own a BMW Dakar, and as I said, "all in jest".
    I knew there would be one of you guys out there.

I'm actually getting ready to buy a KTM EXC.:D
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Please don't, it might lower the value of the two I have in the garage....
  10. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I have an 09 KTM690R and the dealer told me that I dont even need to look at the valves until 12k miles. Oil change is simple an I actually find comfort in knowing there are two filters and two screens, but does not require an more length of time to change than any other single. Do the screens as the oil is draining:thumb I have not tested mine out on a extended weekend adventure but I hope to get the chance once the weather breaks from the two weeks of rain we have had. My XR650L would burn some oil after a hard days riding and the KTM has yet to burn any oil on the 900 miles of riding:ricky I would not hesitate to take this bike on a round the world trip given the opportunity to do so (pay me and I will do it so you can get some data collected:evil )