KTM 690 Enduro owners show off your bike !

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ADVTuga, Sep 28, 2010.

1. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Cool setup.

Just a warning - I would be very wary of the x-ram mount on dirt. Not only have I had my iPhone launched off it in fast rutty terrain (thankfully my power cord stayed attached) but it also pivots downward off the horizontal plane. Those little round rubber stoppers get pulled up by the weight of the phone exerting inertial force during upward impact. A round Velcro patch helped marginally, but I'm much happier with my ram universal mount - far more positive and secure holding action.

YRMV ...

Cheers

CM
  2. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
    Thank you....and I agree with you actually....but couldnt find a compact solution to it....I didnt know about "ram universal mount" Im gonna check that tomorrow....if not, Velcro patch is a great solution for sure.......

Beside that, I've been searching for different mounting solutions (besides Ram) I wonder if anyone has suggestions ? as an example : K-edge - its for bicycle but has great solutions.....
  3. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Here's the cradle I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-HOL-PD3U-Universal-Spring-Loaded/dp/B0088LL7UA

Hope this helps.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    The routing of the brake line looks like an accident waiting to happen. Considered rerouting it?
  5. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Three "690s" out for a 200 mile spin yesterday.

20160309_113628.jpg
    Albie likes this.
  6. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is on the list too....but i still need to do some reading about it, and see my options....any suggestions or source / link that might be helpful ?
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Well, you can either go with rally routing (across the lower triple), or keep it on top of the rms mount (as in the "stock" position for the brake line).
    I have mine on top of the mount as I'm no fan of the rally routing, but then I'm just using the mount for a gps and lights (all which sits infront of the 12mm crossbar).
  8. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
    Looks like i will need to give a try on rally style routing, because most of my equipment passes over the line at the moment....Right now im just changing the angle of the bracket to be able to give clearance to the brake line.....I would like to keep it in stock position, but I dont think i will have enough length to be able to get it on top of the RMS bracket / rod ...
  9. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It all looks cool, but a couple of thoughts, somewhat echoing what others wrote.

First is that you have a lot of weight on the ends of long arms. It's harder to see and use the things when they are perched out there. You'll find them much easier to use if they are mounted closer to the bars, where you can rest your wrist on something while your fingers move.

On a parallel line, those long arms are just ASKING to get broken when the bike goes down. Or getting constantly whacked by countless branches in brush and the woods. And your delicate expensive electronics are going to be first to that scene, which is probably not what you want. Look at the long time off-roaders and rally bikes and you'll see that things are tucked in and shielded, which is for a reason. I have the same Garmin Montana Rugged Mount at the cross bar on the handlebars I have.

I've got the cross mount for the phone on the Super Tenere and it's surprisingly good when on the road, but I NEVER keep the phone in it when off pavement. For the dirt bike, I slip the phone into a phone pouch made for mountain bicycles like this. In addition to the black RTV sealer under the clamp it comes with, I have a couple of ty-wraps securing it.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROSW...304236590.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.135.KNWcdF
    [​IMG]
  10. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    The rms universal mount is very sturdy, I use it together with the garmin rugged mount - works great.
    For my kind of riding I definitely prefer the gps to be as close to the line of sight as possible.

I don't reckon the arms ask to get broken any more than the headlight, turning indicators, etc. - but each to his own.
  11. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
    Thank you, really good points and depending on the riding style all those can happen easily. But at the sametime, depending on the riding style this setup can be changed instantly without damaging anything....Getting in to a harsh environment (single track- forest) would not be smart for sure (with kind of setup we see in photos)...But I think, that is the all purpose of this modular setup ( to be able to change all equipment depending on the condition and your riding style) and personally thats the part appeals to me.
    But, I do agree with Anders towards how solid the garmin rugged mount and medium lenght arms....because i've been using those equipment for last 3-4 years on different bikes in all sort of conditions, and still in one piece without any damage. When it comes to phone, i usually use waterproof, dustproof phones out of box...which the one we see in the photo had been abused a lot with rain, mud, cold, hot days, 1000s of km(s)....which still works pretty good...
  12. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Not my bike, and not sure if this is "205", but interesting build, that pretty much matches my bike and luggage choices.

Chalkie62 likes this.
  13. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
  14. itnanti

itnanti aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457667581.008955.jpg
    Its not my 690 but Its a pic.
    windfaces likes this.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. windfaces

windfaces windfac.es

Oddometer:
    Great !! Thank you...Yes, its really clear and helpful, and at the sametime that is really tidy and slick job.

Quick question; Making that "S" kind of shape, does it give lot of tension to *brake line ? It seemed really tight, but dont have the experience and would like to get some thoughts?
  17. Juan Valderrama

Juan Valderrama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Broadcasting from Bogotá, Colombia
    cal08, RsZk, itnanti and 2 others like this.
  18. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not if you remove the outer sheath of the brake line (not to be pedantic, but it's not actually a cable).
  19. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    +1. As it's been mentioned, it's a pita to remove the sheathing, but it's much easier to work with afterwards. The brake line is still clear coated when the sheathing is removed, so it is not exposed steel braid when you're done.
  20. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've taken the covering off the ABS wiring and rewrapped it with some spiral wrap, I can make the excess of that disappear OK behind the headlight.
    For the Brake line, I have fitted a replacement one from HEL brake lines over here in the UK. I went for 1250mm long with straight banjo at the caliper end and 90 degree banjo at the ABS pump end. £27.50 for a Black covered line delivered.
    It fits fine, may be just a bit too long but no great issue the way it is routed, it just touches the black plastic side panel corner under compression but there's nothing for it to snag on (used some spiral wrap on it on the fork leg length as well).
    The original brake lines on my 2015 are plastic tubing, the replacement HEL line is braided hose.