KTM 690 Enduro R vs Husqvarna 701 Enduro vs AJP PR7

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PomInAus, Dec 5, 2018.

1. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have a significant birthday next year and thinking of getting myself a special toy to celebrate.

I’m currently riding a Honda CRF250L Rally which is getting me into adventure riding but I think long term the 250 is a big shy on power for the black stuff that I inevitably will have to ride on to get to the dirt.

I’m not interested in a ‘big’ bike like a BMW and I think the new KTM & Yamaha are going to be too heavy. So I’ve narrowed it down to the KTM 690 Enduro R, Husqvarna 701 Enduro and the AJP PR7.

With the KTM and Husqvarna, I’d look to get the Rade Garage Rally kit with the additional tank under the seat. With the AJP it sounds like I’d need to change the suspension give the Sachs issues.

So come on, give me your opinions & thoughts so I can add it in to my decision making process!
    Blakduk likes this.
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The AJP looks to be a good thing on paper eh. Owners in here speak highly of them.
  3. Toejamii

Toejamii Still Learning

Oddometer:
    Husky 701 :-) but expensive if you're going to get all the bling , not sure what the AJP costs
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be entertaining … :lurk

Re' AJP Sachs forks - only seems to be some bikes - and the fix is just hard anodising (<$500) - a lot of people are spending much more than that on adjustments / upgrades to 690/701 forks

Current 690/701 motor seems to be much smoother than the older 690 was - so the very narrow gearbox (6-speed, but same width as WR450F 5-speed) is probably now much less of an issue - but you'd need to ride one first to see for yourself - geared up a bit they were fine, but then not much good offroad

Rade tank would be great - the Rade fairing looks beautiful, but you could save a lot of money with a KTM/Husky hard-parts windscreen - worked fine for me
    PomInAus likes this.
  5. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    I have never owned a AJP but i have owned a 690 and 701 so i will have a crack
    I assume you are buying new next year so it will be a 19 model bike. The current 701 is a far better bike from a performance perspective than the current 690, the motor is night and day, the ergos and frame geometry are more like a dirt bike and they are nicer to ride. From some pics the next model 690 will have the new motor but i have no idea on the frame but it seems KTM have aimed it at the more road/suv set with quickshifters, gadgets and some sort of stability control thingy and 250mm of suspension travel. From a punters perspective it seems that apart for a few models the ktm are road trail orientated and the Huskys are a little more off rd. Unless your into the rally poser scene you dont need all that shit hanging off the front of your bike and for a bit over a grand you can get a pipe, rade tank and remap and your set up. All three bikes will need suspension work of some sort so nothing to compare there although because the huskys 4CS have been so bad for so long there are heaps of parts to make them work great.
    On the AJP, its a 10 year old motor that was proven in its day but now your buying from some small time operator with limited factory network support and a factory that dosnt even seem to have any pull over their suppliers. Ask anyone what it was like in the old husky Applegren days and they will tell you how that works out. They are reported to be nice to ride and yes they have a windscreen if thats your thing but they make heaps less power, similar fuel range to a rade. Plus you have to try and sell these things when your done and that may be an issue as it is with similar things like swms and all those chinese bikes.
    So without riding the new 19 KTM or AJP i would say for a big lazy dirtbike you can load out the treeline on trails or ride across the country i would pick the 701.
    Individual results may vary..
  6. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll come at it from the POV of a tight ass! A drz, dr650, swm rs650r or superdual X would have better power than a 250.

The drz400e doesn’t love the tarmac. The higher displacement of the others makes them better for tarmac but then they are heavy for the fun dirt riding.

You haven’t said what you want to do with the bike. For firetrails and easy sinlge track any of the 650 bikes will be fine.

For the harder stuff the drz or a an rs500 or ktm 500 exc would be better. This is just due to the weight.

Then, as mentioned already, is the resale value. The swm brand is a bit of an unknown but there is only so much you can lose when you didn’t spend much in the first place.

If money is no object then certainly the 701 would be unreal! I can’t say that it would struggle on the tarmac or harder tracks. It would still be heavier than a 500 but on the tarmac the 701 would be heaps better.

Like I said earlier, what do you want to ride? Tolerate the black top and the ride the hardest single track your ability allows? Or ride open sweeping trails and generally explore?

IMO you need to figure out what you want the bike for and then pick a bike.
    Hoots likes this.
  7. therak

therak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm biased but 701 all day. Not sure why anyone would buy a worse performing bike with a much sketchier support beyond the unique factor. Rade tank is great, the fairing kit is a waste of money. Pipe, airbox, tune and go
    DeLewis and Hoots like this.
  8. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Price.
  9. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I must say, that those white KTM's are nice bikes .
  10. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go the 701. Better motor, more support, heaps of aftermarket options.
  11. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 2019 KTM has the same engine plus a host of upgrades including WP suspension new frame, lower seat....
  12. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Err yeah - I should have clarified - get the KTM or the Husky . . . vs the PR7.
  13. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drool, drool, 701
  14. darren70

Oddometer:
    Remember we don't quite know what the new 690 will have yet but we do know that the current one was last upgraded in 2014 so it is due to be upgraded to at least to get it up to the 701 if not better. All KTM's and Huskys have White Power suspension and no matter what they bring out it will have to be modified to get the best out of it just like any bike. It would probably be best to wait until the 690 is on the ground before you go and try determining its suitability as there is enough speculation here already, it may end up being fine for you.
  15. darren70

Oddometer:
    I guess they were back in their day

[​IMG]

But we have all moved on.
    bigborett and Hoots like this.
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the extent of the on-road focus is what you'll need to ride to get to the dirt, then might be good to check out the dual sports as well

Tags are variably used, but things like the 500/501 or the new CRF450L

These will be fine for transport legs - many use them for long hauls / desert trips / etc

Way more capable / fun when you get to the fire trails etc

The Aus 500/501 adventure mods thread shows how versatile these bikes are

The CRF450L is brand new to the scene, but looks like a good traillie - with some adaptations for road use
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Are you saying the 690 and 701 are easy to sell second hand and you arent losing a heap of money on them after changing the bits you mention?
  18. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say the Ktm / Husky are easier to sell as 2nd hand units due to their popularity.

I would also say that you would lose more money on them at resale than you would on a Pr7 also.

When comparing the 2 to get them to the same level when the Pr7 first came out.

Have attached comparo. This did not include the hard anodizing we now know the Pr7 requires or that you can now use a $90 tablet with gps for the Ktm as I do.

Comparo.PNG
    Ducksbane, enookway and PomInAus like this.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    If only the PR7 had the KTM/Husky (scale) dealer network behind it... it would be the pick...

On paper, it ticks the majority of the boxes for a lightweight offroad adventure single with medium to good fuel range. it is a great bike in itself... but...

The KTM and Husky have a far greater presence in the market, with a considerably better dealer network, which has a lot to do with service, spare parts support etc.

That's part of the reason they are so popular... and that spins off onto "resale" value as well...

Sure... if you drop all the coin required to bring a stock 690/701 to a similar (adventure) specification of the PR7 - it is a chunk of change you will likely wave bye bye till at re-sale time.

If i was living in Oz right now, I would probably lean towards the 701... though I really liked the PR7 when I test rode it... the dealer support aspect (not in just Oz) is just too thin on the ground to take it to the major players in that market right at the moment, I think.
    Dukehunt and PomInAus like this.
  20. rustl

rustl Quiet

Oddometer:
    For now the PR7 comes with the powerup kits included in the $14,600 price, I don't know for how much longer though.

View attachment 1454994 [/QUOTE]
    simmy, PomInAus and Hoots like this.