KTM 690 Enduro R vs Husqvarna 701 Enduro vs AJP PR7

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PomInAus, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the end of the day, what does 'dealer network' and 'dealer support' actually add up to?

KTM are notoriously difficult with warranty matters - and that's been borne out in my experience - assume Husky likewise

BMW are not much better - again, in my experience

When it's not a warranty issue, most go to workshops with a good name - not affiliated any particular brand/s

So really, what would be the downside in buying a non-mainstream bike like a PR7? - the key bits are all pretty much tried and true - including the rebirthed TE630 motor etc - no shortage of parts here and globally

Ease of sale / resale? - a bike like the PR7 is known to be of a high standard throughout - if the price is realistic, shouldn't be any probs reselling - especially on a site like this one - and because most of the goodies are OEM and not aftermarket, you're probably going to lose a whole lot less that when re-selling a fully-optioned 690/701 - where you're basically just feeding your wallet into the insinkerator ...
    finnessa, BergDonk, Blakduk and 3 others like this.
  2. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I’m surprised the SWM Super Dual 650 X is not in the mix here?

[​IMG]

*Plus on road costs.

Adventure has a new name. The Superdual X delivers what others cannot. The powerful 600cc EFI single cylinder engine encased in enduro-style frame and body-work enables this adventure bike to be ridden where others fear to go. The 21/18” wheel combination allows for a comfortable transition from road to dirt to beaten trail and track in comfort. Adjustable suspension and the freedom of 18-litre fuel range presents limitless adventure opportunities. The SWM Superdual X is ready for your next adventure.

[​IMG]
  3. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you need all that bling on the 701?? Bike runs great stock. I have a 690 screen, E-12 bags..... that’s it, done....ride!!
    jardine and DeLewis like this.
  4. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    It doesn't look anywhere near as sexy as the PR7.
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  5. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Possibly. The thing that got me is that they come at about $10,000 and have a tonne of parts included in the price that blokes are buying a 690 for $16,000, then dropping another $4000-5000 just go get the bits that come ON this bike. I'm a bit of a fan of the engine and gearbox - I had the same in my 2008 Husqvarna TE610ie....brilliant motor and gearbox.

Here's a better picture:

[​IMG]

What about the 650R then?
    [​IMG]
    Hoots likes this.
  6. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my humble experience BMW and KTM both give good warranty unless you need to clam on it . And as fare as resale goes pretty much every thing looses 30% the moment you take delivery and 30% of $10000 is much less then 30% of $17000 and then in KTM and some others they drop the price of bikes they cant sell by as much as 30% so you now get 30% of 70% of your perches cost less any bling you may have spent . There is an other option forfeit a little speed gain a lot of reliability save a shed load of money and go for a second hand Suzuki DRZ400 or DR650 and the bling is cheep and plentiful .
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  7. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's more of a 'smell the flowers' type of bike than the others. If I was after a single for 'ADV' touring the SWM is the way I'd go (and have seriously considered it).
    Blakduk likes this.
  8. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s just not very exciting to look at which I know shouldn’t be a reason not to get one but it is. Same goes for the DR etc
    Blakduk likes this.
  9. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    PomInAus and flinders_72 like this.
  10. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I knew my sole BMW warranty claim wasn't looking good when in their letter BMW Australia referred to it as "your recent request for financial assistance"!!!
    stumps, Vertical C and Hoots like this.
  11. Sopak

Sopak n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi it maybe already late but i actually own both bikes one for me and one for my girl (too short for 701), and i advise to get test ride on both. It is all what you going to do with the bike, i bought them as travel bikes instead of Triumph/BMW 800, AJP is easier to handle than 701, it is a bit shorter and seat is 300% better than 701. It lack power on highways if you using them (not my case usually). But in overall I would switch my 701 to AJP. I bough 701 for me with all concerns from guys above ...selling/support etc without test ride and i am a bit disappointed, the ergonomic is better on AJP, no ABS (+ for me) and if you try to sell it you don't have much advantage anyway as it is very specific bike for specific use. With AJP you don't need to do any adjustments you put luggage there and you can go, with 701 you need a bit work to do for longer trips like Nomad or Rade kits with those price tag is almost same in fact. In overall both are good bikes, but every rider prefer something else so try both !!! Btw i am lucky i am from Czech and support for AJP here is actually better than KTM/Husquarna so any time i got back from somewhere they fix all we broke there.
    GodSilla, Tomdog, BergDonk and 10 others like this.
  12. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an AJP PR7 and I am really happy with it: powerful at low and mid range (also at high revs), really comfortable, great 300 mm suspensions, big fuel tank, great ergonomics, and so far very reliable although I have just 6k km. For me, it is a great substitute of my former honda xr650
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Wow!!
    $7000.
    Add another $1500 if you got the power up kit for free.
    I know noone with a PR7, but a mate with the 690 is often having niggling little problems of one kind or another.

Farmer Roy likes this.
  14. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Are you pissed again with drink in hand and trying to write with your left hand (assuming you are right handed):D
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    He has just qualified as an English teacher so I think he is doing okay! ;)
    bigbrad likes this.
  16. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Do you mean ok for an English teacher?
    Cruz and 0405canvet like this.
  17. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're is nofin rong with mye Engrish tank u
    a2zworks likes this.
  18. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just knocked it up with the paint thing.
    a2zworks likes this.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    errr... :scratch you mean a "brush" ? :dunno

I fink da' inglish teacha need a dinosaurus...? :hmmmmm :rofl
    bigbrad and a2zworks like this.
  20. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah Troy
    Never use a brush
    Too hard to get it off the screen once it dries

Haven't seen my dinosaurus since the ice age. No wonder I am having problems
    a2zworks likes this.