KTM 690 Enduro R vs Husqvarna 701 Enduro vs AJP PR7

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PomInAus, Dec 5, 2018.

1. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at these three bikes for a while now. Have decided to get the 701. (same price as the PR7)

I test rode a PR7 when they first came out and really liked it......BUT.....I thought the bike was overpriced for a new unproven model and was concerned about the importers commitment with spares and backup. So I held off. I know two guys that bit the bullet and bought PR7's and both have had their fair share of issues.

I hope AJP sorts these bikes out in the future......the bike has great potential......they just need to get on top of the quality control and sort the niggles out.

Until then it's the 701 for me. :ricky
  2. Mojo83

Mojo83 n00b

Oddometer:
    Very interested to learn more about this bike, what sort of issues/niggles have they experienced?
  3. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Join the AJP PR7 Australia facebook group and have a bit of a read.
    RAR likes this.
  4. plinz

plinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy - I have a PR7 and run the Facebook page - ask away and I'll answer any questions to the best of my knowledge
    GodSilla and PomInAus like this.
  5. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sooooo, I’m still looking and I did join the PR7 FB page to look through. As I see it the main issues seem to be:

- anodising on the forks
    - fuel pump issues
    - ground cable issues
    - loose head stock

First one seems an easy fix
    Is the fuel pump sorted by filters like the KTM 690?
    With ground cables it looks like just being prepared to fix them when they break or come loose
    What’s the fix on the head stock?

Is there anything substantial I’m missing?
  6. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in my case I thought I needed to tight the head stock; however the problem is that I had just to tight the screws of the forks. I havent had any of the other problems.
    Cruz likes this.
  7. plinz

plinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Fork anodising (inner) is a major problem - most of us owners have had them re-done - bear in mind this a fault of ZF Sachs and not AJP but because they choose to use this brand it is their problem in my eyes - cost to fix is $300-$500
    2. Fuel Pump issues only a few that I am aware of, not much in the way of failures - nothing like in the number of other brands having failures
    3. Ground cable issues ??? - my bike has a broken wire at a bend back to the ECU which stopped the fuel pump which has been fixed - only one I am aware of
    4. Loose headstock - yep a couple of bikes have had a problem but more to do with pre-delivery and/or owner maintenance (possibly)
    5. Rear axle bending - this has been acknowledged by the factory and a replacement is under way
    6. Cold starting - the latest ECU update seems to have sorted this
    7. Steering and suspension bearings need re-greasing fairly early with a decent waterproof grease - as with all other brands its a bit light on
    8. Most parts are readily available and as with most brands some need to be imported

Anyhow - if i think of anything else I'll post it up - In general this bike is awesome and ticks 9 of the 10 boxes but because it is new and different most are looking for the negatives rather than the positives and whinging about having to sort things that they would have to with other brands anyway

This bike isn't the unicorn but is a darn sight closer than anything straight out of the box

Linz

IMG_6017 copy 2.jpg
    GodSilla, pedroadv, DeLewis and 10 others like this.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Not hanging shit. But might be worth mentioning that nothing like the sales numbers either.

Carry on.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How many AJP have been sold and how many of the other brands?
    Never seen sales numbers for any of the 3 in this thread.
  10. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Linz, much appreciated. Despite the ‘perceived issues’ and negativity, the PR7 is certainly top of my list, just something about it that appeals
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  11. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's the right bike for you.
    Let us know what you think when you get it.
  12. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s a longer game for me, probably looking at Q3 this year but unless something else pops up (no interest in the 790 Adventure or the T700) it’ll more than likely be the way I go.
  13. spuzvica

spuzvica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @plinz Could you describe where exactly did the wire back to the ECU break so that I could pay attention to it? Maybe include a pic?

Having read most of the posts, do I conclude correctly that the fuel pump in the AJP PR7 case comes BEFORE the fuel filter? I.e. it's built into the tank? I guess there's no way of including a filter before the pump?

Cheers
  14. Sopak

Sopak n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes pump, is in tank at PR7, i did not have any issue with pump yet, but with injection, i had to replace fuel injector, due bad fuel in Albania. I suggest to use something like Twin air fuel filter to avoid those issues, now i am checking which one will fit to AJP in fact to avoid issue on next trip (Saw it on some facebook page of guy who went to Mongolia on PR7, but cant find it now if anyone knows ping me please). But i have same on 701 :) so no diff there only price for fuel injector for 701 is 5x more than PR7. So i got for similar filter for 701 https://guglatech.it/en/products/M27106 .
    I can also confirm on AJP we had
    3. Ground cable issues
    4. Loose headstock

after i had chat with importer we fix those very quickly.
  15. spuzvica

spuzvica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Sopak
    1. can you please describe the ground cable issues and how to avoid/resolve them?
    2. I am suprised that the fuel in Albania is so bad, that the original PR7 fuel filter allowed it to ruin the injector, is that really possible? Let me know which Twin Air fuel filter you find that fits underneath the seat. I admit the original fuel filter is so small it cannot be high quality.

Peter Renkema went to Mongolia with his PR7 and aparently lots of sediment (dust) was found inside the gas tank which hurt the fuel pump. This could get resolved with the guglatech but I doubt that the guglatech filter is more fine-grained than the original fuel filter. In that case the injector could still "suffer".
  16. Sopak

Sopak n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got info that guglatech is working on filter for PR7 (from Peter post) so i will wait a bit lets see.
    Yea i guess we have bad luck in Albania.
    Ground cable was bold to say it was only connector in fact so i make sure it fits, it was not starting at all at the time.
  17. spuzvica

spuzvica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Sopak Which connector exactly? What was wrong exactly? Do you have a photo?
  18. Sopak

Sopak n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi sry don't have any photo at the moment, also not garage to close to take it will try to do it later when there is no 2m snow :) i assume 1 month.
  19. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    nice bike the PR7. I have ridden a couple. Interestingly, I have only seen 1 second hand one for sale... if they were such a lemon, you would see dudes kicking them out the door with low ks....
  20. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the reason you don't see used bikes for sale is that they've sold fuckall bikes.
    camoktm and troy safari carpente like this.