KTM 690 Enduro R vs Husqvarna 701 Enduro vs AJP PR7

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PomInAus, Dec 5, 2018.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :rofl author :clap :imaposer
    AdventureDave and jack82 like this.
  2. plinz

plinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate

I'll let you spend the time seeing how many are sold in Aus/NZ - couldn't be fucked wasting my time giving you the details - as for the PR7 its imbeciles like you that give this bike even more awareness. Quite frankly I'm jack of all the bullshit this bike cops and the sideline commentators that know it all. Enjoy your 690 or 701 still having to spend copious amounts of money getting to the same OEM inclusions as the PR7 - I'll just keep riding my heap of shit knowing i dont have to spend any more on upgrades only now just basic running costs. Anyhow in the end all you dickheads are screwing yourselves over by trying to kill a competitor to the main 2 so then they can charge what they like for their bikes -
    43586578_2483101581700058_1273937375017304064_o.jpg images (1).jpeg
  3. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion ( aprox 20 bikes so far) AJP PR7 is an outstanding trail-enduro; really happy with its performance and ergonomics.
    Doofry, Ducksbane and Cruz like this.
  4. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AJP PR7 hit the nail on the head for many with their design and it is a solid motor.

It's a bit baffling that KTM/HQV, who already has 95% of the components manufactured for their rally teams, don't make a few more brackets and side covers and bring out accessory kits. Surely there would be enough coin in it for them to do so.
    GodSilla likes this.
  5. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Calm down petal.....it's just a motorbike.

I'll try not to be an obnoxious cunt in my reply to your childish rant. If you can find anything I've said about this bike that isn't true.....fire away. What I've said in the past is that I think it's a great design/bike that needs it's niggles and problems sorted out. Pretty much the same thing that imbecile Nick from Teknik Motorsport has said on your facebook page.

I came very close to buying a PR7 last year but decided to wait until the factory ironed out the bugs. It's been two years and I'm still waiting.

And just for the record......I have no loyalty to any brand (12 bikes in the shed.....7 different manufacturers) I call a spade a spade whatever it is.

P.S. You missed the suspension linkage breakages in your list of PR7 issues.
  6. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
  7. The Doc

The Doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He also missed that atleast one here in oz has cracked the motor casings in two.

Yes other brands also have issues but percentage-wise these have got more than their fair share. To acknowledge but not warrant the fork issue is beyond belief and maybe a death nail at a crucial time in the company's push to get a foothold. Surely you'd have to be crazy to buy a product from a start up company that treats their customers like that and could easily close their doors tomorrow. How's the resale on those CCMs ?

I also recently witnessed a PR7 not starting very easily on a 25 degree C morning (can't blame the cold) when all the other brands fired up in half a second, very bad publicity for such a simple issue.
    Dr AT likes this.
  8. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be fair Doc,......Honda (Africa twin) and Beta have had similar fork issues but refuse to do anything about it.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I thought that as a humorous "one liner" that it was pretty damned funny... (and factual) given that number wise, it is pretty hard to argue with the fact that AJP have sold very few bikes (in Oz) compared to the 690 and 701... and that would explain WHY you don't see many "second hand" ones on the used maket for sale - simple as that.
    Dick0 likes this.
  10. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Ok. I thought it was some cool new expression I needed to know. Or an insult.
  11. The Doc

The Doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True but in the context of their brand power, Honda can get away with being arrogant, I dont believe AJP can.
    GodSilla and Bluetonguejak like this.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Would be interesting to know the numbers of the 701's and the 690's sold in Oz, as I wouldn't think it would be very high either. Certainly a lot more than the AJP but still not high numbers.
    Don't ever read a 690 or 701 thread then!
    Blakduk likes this.
  13. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    45FE4D36-A889-4510-B263-A91D3065DE67.jpeg Well... while some enjoy talking, I prefer enjoy driving. Having fun on a lovely Saturday morning in Spain with AJP PR7
    Cruz, Tenerrod, hoorang and 2 others like this.
  14. spuzvica

spuzvica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from island of Rab, Croatia

Attached Files:

sanvara and Cruz like this.
  15. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    coming back to the original question on this post:

Originally dead set on a 701 w/ a Rade Garage tank and fairing, I ended up test riding all 3 bikes:
    - Husky 701 because I really wanted one
    - The KTM 690, because it was there, and the dealer just handed me the key and told me to have a crack at her (can't say no to that)
    - And the AJP PR7 a couple of weeks later on a ride with some dudes. Wasn't really considering one to beggin with.

Enjoyed my time with the 701 very much, the engine was smoooooooth and exciting, awesome brakes and looks, the seat is as confortable as a medieval torture device and I found something about the suspension that wasn't quite right (particularly in tight corners) ...but to be honest none of the downers put me off.

The 690, didn't like it as much, similar upsides with more downsides with a small price drop that doesn't really convince me to bother with it.

Found the PR7 too feel very diferent from the above, the ergos/confort and the engine character (w/ race exhaust kit) feel a lot like an oil cooled 1200GS... you decide if that's a good or a bad thing. Front brakes are crap, but stock suspension feels much better in my view.

Overall the PR7 has a forgiving and friendly feel about it, feels good riding slow or fast, onroad or offroad, by comprarison I found the 701 requires you to engage "hooligan-mode" in order to feel acomplished. Horses for courses I guess.

Gave it some serious thought for a few months, test rode the 701 again (because I really wanted one), but in the end couldn't get over how much better the PR7 felt over the 701 so I voted with my wallet.

6.000 Km in, very happy with my choice. As a pruduct, the PR7 might not be the most reliabe of motorcycles (even if haven't had a single issue till now), but the same is known to be very much the case with the 701/690.
    The diference for me is the PR7 is so "simple", I can mantain and fix most things on the bike myself and get parts mailed from factory (through a dealer) when I need them, which I find rather quick and cheap.
    GodSilla and spuzvica like this.
  16. foofootrash

foofootrash n00b

Oddometer:
  17. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it looks like my decision on what to get might be driven by availability or lack there of
    The PR7 was the bike I wanted but there’s no stock in Aus. There are a couple of demo bikes but both have over 4,000kms which really makes them used in my book, and no doubt they’ve been ridden hard.
    Beyond that, there is supposedly an update to the PR7 coming but no firm date for release and no one can give me a date for them being available here in Aus.
    So looks like in might be the 690 or the 701 for me. Looks like some deals on ‘older’ 690’s with the new one here.