KTM 690 Enduro replacement tank bolts – complete subframe reinforcement kit

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Perun, Feb 15, 2014.

1. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can sleep well, I used the wrong tool the right way and I didn't round any corners off. :D
  2. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Good deal :lol3
    I was jus kiddin ya :thumb
  3. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hm, I cant figure why bolt cap wont fit through upper rubber bushing. Parts of bolt cap and OEM bolt, which go through bushing, are same size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone else had the same problem I would appreciate feedback.
  4. Perun

Oddometer:
    I made bar riser and luggage rack. I also made an add-on for Touratech luggage racks, to mount Kriega US-10 or US-20 or Rotopax on the sides. I will take some pictures in few days. :)
  5. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    The previous owner of my 2008 had lost one of the OEM bolts and replaced it with a standard bolt from the hardware store and a couple of washers. Maybe this squished and warped the upper rubber bushing so the new bolts wouldn't fit?

I'm still very happy with the new hardware!
  6. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine fitted perfectly. :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Perun

Oddometer:
    Probably that caused problem, I double checked everything today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe it would be wise to order OEM upper bushings? Those lower bushings are made of softer rubber. I think part number of upper bushings is 76507066000, and pair cost around 10EUR (please check this before ordering, I was in a hurry while browsing for part number).

Glad you are happy! :freaky
  8. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    I checked and the bolt caps from your kit fit the bushing which wasn't deformed by the previous owner using incorrect hardware. So I used a dremel to make the original (smushed) bushing fit the new bolt cap. I put it all back together and now I have the correct bushings and the new hardware installed and ready for the Desert 100 race next weekend. :D
  9. Perun

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

I am making new batch of "Subframe reinforcement kit". It takes more then I planned to finish this batch, because of holidays (and so many things I had to do before holidays).

I will PM all who PM'ed me, as soon as I get items ready for shipping.

Hopefully by the end of this week or beginning of next.
  10. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any more products Nicola ?? ;););)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
  11. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    I raced the Desert 100 offroad race and the tank mounting bolts held up great. Everything was fine after a bunch of jumps and 4 dumps. You can find a video in my youtube link but I am happy to report that the mounting kit did great.
  12. Perun

Oddometer:
    Hello Fluff!

Check this out - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23999980&postcount=1704. Let me know what you think, and be honest. :)

Will, thanks for feedback. I saw your video, looking great. I will ride my first enduro event on 690, in June. Hope I will do as good as you. :)
  13. whizzkidd

whizzkidd Adventurer WannaBe

Oddometer:
    It's done... :happay

Very easy, even the lower original bolts have gone out without any trouble, didn't even look they had loctite...:evil

The harder part was align to upper bolts to enter in each other, I think that I should have start from the top to bottom... :shog Other than that it was perfect, drop in parts... :thumb

The quality of the parts is amazing, much better than the stock ones... :deal

Perun is a very attentive person. Always willing to help and to hear what do we have to say. :bow
  14. thumpididump

thumpididump MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Roger that. Very good quality pieces and much cheper than the Rally Raid bolt kit. Also, Perun was A-1 to deal with. :thumb

Once you get the OEM pieces out, it's quite easy to see this kit is superior design. Very happy I did this upgrade. Took me about 90 minutes from start to finish (and two bottles of beer).
  15. Perun

Oddometer:
    Thanks for feedback! ;)

New batch is ready, PM if interested.
  16. loek

loek n00b

Oddometer:
    hi, receive bolts and placed
    top bolts were more difficult because of lack of space

thanks
    Loek
  17. Perun

Oddometer:
    Hello Loek, glad to hear from you. Did you removed airbox prior to instalation of upper bolts or you mannaged to install them without removing the airbox?
  18. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received my kit. Took about two weeks to arrive at my door in Colorado.

I just put it all on last night and am heading to Moab tomorrow to put these bolts to the test.

Installation was ok. It wasn't quick and easy, but it also wasn't horrible.

I started with taking out the bottom bolts. These are the factory bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then had to remove the exhaust bolts so I could move the gas tank up and down.

I then used a hatchet to wedge between the tank and frame to allow access for me to remove the factory bushings and bolts.

[​IMG]

Factory (orange'ish) vs Perun's - The factory was really squishy and I could see how these could cause issues. Perun's are of a harder compound.

[​IMG]

It was easy putting the new bottom bushings in, but I was unable to put the bolts through so I removed the upper bolts. Luckily I had ran my gas down most of the way.

Once I took out the uppers I was able to get the bottoms set into place. It took a little work to get everything lined up, but it worked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then installed the uppers. These are the same size as the front wheel bolt (27mm?) so I had the tools handy.

The factory bolts go from the outside and screw towards the inside. Perun has bolts that go from the inside (airfilter box side) that screw outward, and the big 27mm's that go in the same way as the factory, but screw into the installed little bolts. I tried to install the little bolts without removing the airbox, but was unable so I did remove the airbox. (If you've never removed the airbox it's fairly easy so don't worry).

These are the new bolts installed. You can see the little bolts and the big ones. I'm holding the factory bolts to give you an idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll let you know how they hold up over the next couple days of abuse, but I believe these are a lot better than the factory bolts.

Frankie
  19. Eureka690

Eureka690 Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are indeed 27mm. A very thoughtful design choice I'm sure. Thanks Perun!!

I don't have the toolkit wrench but I feel like it wouldn't work since there's a little lip around the bolt molded into the tank. I just used the giant half inch 27mm socket that I bought specifically for the front axle nut.

I thought the install was very easy, in fact I followed almost none of Perun's instructions and still managed just fine. I did do the lower bolts first but that was about it. The bushings are something like delrin and fit about as perfectly as I'd like. I had no trouble putting them in by hand but they were snug as a bug in a rug.

The only minor trouble I had was getting the lower tank bolt through the tank. The tolerances are very tight so aligning it was difficult. A bit of work with a hammer (read ratchet) and I got it through without mangling the threads too bad ;)

Anyway, thanks again Perun!!

Also, for the anxious American's like myself, the Serbian tracking number Perun gives you should work on USPS's site after a few days. It doesn't give you a lot of info, (it stayed in Chicago for a few days) but at least you'll know once it's in the US.
  20. Perun

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, thanks for feedback! I appreciate that. :1drink

Tolerances are tight, so free play is on minimum. Because of that everything needs to be aligned precisely, and sometimes that can be a little tricky. But little grease goes a long way. :) Don't tighten bolts before you install everything, and try moving tank up and down a bit. That will do it.

Btw, lower bushings are made of special kind of plastic - polyamide with molybdenum, because of its high anti-friction properties, so tolerances can be tight and it wont jam in the tank.

UPDATE ON PROGRESS:

I sold all "bolts" I made, and I am in a process of making a new batch. Machining is done, but I am waiting for heat treatment. Reason for waiting is big trouble that we have with floods in Serbia, but I hope stoves will be up and running in few days. Sorry for delay, but this was really unexpected...