KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MakoRider

MakoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DEP411,
    Did you get any instructions in the box? The instructions I saw were on the Wings website. Honey do list got in the way of the KTM this weekend. I will have to put the Wings on during the week. What procedure did you do following the install. Idle 15 minutes, throttle, etc....?

I called the shop where I bought the bike. "Bloke" the KTM mechanic in Conyers GA. said the paraffin wax is mineral oil or lamp oil. He said think of it like seasoning a skillet. But not to worry about that. just put on the pipe and ride it. :freaky
  2. dep411

dep411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    these were the same instructions I got with the pipe

http://www.wings.si/ver3/slikarije/WINGS-instalation-maintenance.pdf

I wouldn't worry about the putting liquid on the rubber gasket thats on the exhaust clamp. I've never seen a manufacture do this before. BUt after you install the pipe make sure to wipe off all the finger prints as they can be burned in.

And the exhaust was literally a 5 min installation, very simple. And to my understanding if you keep the stock air filter and keep the large arrestor in the exhaust we should be able to run it without remapping the ecu.
  3. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody that got the wings exhaust and not using one of the tips wants to sell it?

We found out that my find's bike (XR650R) doesn't have a spark arrestor and a wings tips would work just perfectly.

Let me know if anyone wants to sell one, the "louder" one if possible.

Thank you
    Christian
  4. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    Lukas - yes he did. The same ones that came with the kit. Contacted Akra on the issue and it seems that the kit had the wrong band, or some issue. They're sending me the correct one and set of rivets so I can replace. :clap
  5. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had some blueing that was bothering me so I took the guard off and used some blue away. Much better now. Still wondering why this one section of pipe is doing it. Akrapovic instructions say to use a single spring to connect these pieces but it seems that it may leak if you only use the spring so I used some rtv copper gasket on it. Anyway, heres the results from the blue away.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
  6. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Recycled steel yards took my GS cat for about that price based on weight. I've got two of them and will try the recycle yard this coming week. YMMV
  7. dep411

dep411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea!
  8. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see if it comes back. Blue further towards the end would be worse, indicating some tune issue. Ceramic coat!
  9. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Just hung a Leo Vince and I did not get the db reducer....does anyone have one they would part with? PM's please........:beer
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, just pulled my LV because I decided to repack it and my SECOND db reducer seems to have disappeared. :eek1 WTF, do the damn things just burn up? Gonna make my own this time. Anyway, it was definitely time to repack the thing, it had only about 2 inches of packing left at the end of the can. :lol3 It was much quieter after repacking it, and that's without a db reducer.
  11. MakoRider

MakoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took a little longer, but mounted the silencer the same way. Just using the one that was already in it. Does it come with the quieter one installed? It's quiet enough for my ears. I have about 700+ miles on the 690, so I haven't got on it too much. Just once I got her over 5500 rpm. It was real easy to do. Marie really wants to rev higher. That's her name, Marie.

I have no other modifications so far. I have experienced the stall at idle when making some technical moves at slow speed. Not a big deal, but the stories are true. I really like this bike. I want to say love, but that is reserved for my real life Marie aka Mrs. MakoRider (just in case she is reading this).

See y'all on the other KTM forums...:ricky
  12. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's has been said that stalling occurs on the 690 if you don't have the DB killer in on a few pipes. This also seems to be true on the FMF. There is a huge difference in flame outs, or lack there of, once you install the spark arrester back into the FMF Q4. It seems the 2013 engine mapping is sensitive to back pressure. So.... if you experience flame outs somewhat regularly during stops and have the Q4, install the DB killer. It makes a huge difference.
  13. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellow Wings owners. I just picked up a silencer for my 2013 690 Enduro R and was hoping to get some advice.

1. How long can I expect the packing wool to last with 80% conservative engine rpms and 20% "race throttle", 65 degrees average ambient outside air temp, and low humidity?

2. I beleive the silencer came with the louder DB installed. Will the queiter DB increase the life of the packing wool?

3. Is it really necessary to do the battery unplug and 15 minute idle?

I don't care about sound (well a little). I only care about reduced weight, reduced heat, and no compromise of fuel efficiency.

Thanks in advance!
  14. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Wings muffler just arrived also, new version db killer. Not installed yet. I plan to just pull the cap and check the packing every two oil changes or so. Consider it regular maintenance. I don't think the insert size will matter to packing life. In my experience with race cars, it's the time spent at high revs (more CFM). I'd do the ECU recal. Again, from race car experience, tuning is everything. I tune my race cars with fully programmable ECU's and we're constantly fiddling with them. In our endurance race cars, just a percent or two in fuel pays dividends in fewer fuel stops during a race.

If I can get sufficiently motivated, I'll post a short fly by video pre & post install with sound and also weigh the two.

I'll later try the evo 1 open airbox lid. Only concern with it is noise. I'd prefer to keep the bike as quiet as possible. We'll see.
  15. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Are you going to prep the riviets for cap pull beforehand (assuming you have the carbon end piece) or wait till the repack is needed?
  16. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably do it now while everything is clean. Easier to check quickly later on. Digging around to find my db meter.

Probably take the measurement at about 25' at 90° to bike at 3000rpm cruise and WOT 7000rpm. Riding the bike it's hard to tell what it sounds like but the db meter doesn't lie.
  17. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you prep the rivets?
  18. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to use metric rivnuts. The way the carbon cap is attached the flanges of the riv-nut will have to squeeze under the cap's retaining band. Should work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the rivnuts and please post how they work out if used.

Leanin, if you want to keep the orginal rivets you have to tap and drill them out. Would be nice if they used a rivnut solution in the first place.

I decided just to throw it on and deal with them later cause I need to break the packing wool in before a ride. Sounds nice, cools down fast. Happy so far.

Please do weigh the silencer and connector/hanger vs. stock. Wuz gunna do that but forgot. :-(
  20. Oldbear

Oldbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I weighed the cans when I installed mine last year. Wings with carbon cap weighed exactly 2.0 kilograms (4.4 lbs), original was 4.7 kg (10.4 lbs).

I also measured the noise last winter since I had a proper dB meter at hand. I did the measuring with the same method the cops do it over here: 3500 rpms, noise measured 0,5 meters from the end cap at an 45 degrees angle.

The result for Wings with the smaller noise killer was 92,7 dB(A).