KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. fossriver

fossriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm late to this party, but I drilled some extra holes in my db reducer for my Leo Vince. A few months later I wanted to try the stock db reducer again. I called up Leo Vince America, talked to some really nice people there. And they sent me one pretty quickly, for free:)
  2. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I failed at the video. Apparently my camera takes stills in video mode when you press the regular shutter release. Second release on back just for video. arg. Too lazy to put OEM back on and do it all over. Also had trouble getting precise repeatable results on the db meter.

Anyway, some subjectective opinions and info:

Weight
    10 lb, 2 oz OEM thermonuclear reactor and clamp
    3lb 15oz Sexy eastern bloc surplus submarine ti musical instrument
    6 lbs 2 oz weight savings. wow

Aural violence
    Tried it with no insert. Very deep low tone, smoother sounding, really loud.

With standard spark arrestor insert with internal screen. Higher pitch, most low frequencies muted. More of a "pop" with each combustion event.

Ended up with db killer insert which has a few mm smaller exit aperture and additional cap covering part of internal screen. Only a little quieter than standard spark arrestor insert. Even more "pop" with combustion event. OEM sounds like "chuff - chuff - chuff" at idle and acceleration. Db killer is more of a "pop-pop-pop".

I measured roughly 3db more sound energy both at idle and free revving to 7000rpm. That's rough though as my measurements varied a bit.

Bacon cooking ability ... mmm bacon
    Ran the both mufflers around the hood for a while, some (many) WOT blasts.
    Measured temps with a contact pyrometer.

320° Austrian particle accelerator
    120° former commie missile tip

The KTM mufflercat was 320° everywhere, including the tip. At the very leading edge under the shrouds where you couldn't ever reach, one spot registered 400°. The extra strap on my spare camelback left a pile of molten goo on it from the last ride. ick

In contrast, the Wings was pretty much 120° everywhere. One small area at the very forward cone under the shrouds measured 180~200°. The carbon tip was barely 100° even with the engine running. You could just about put your hand on the Wings even with the engine running. That's interesting since titanium has very low thermal conductivity and thermal inertia. I would expect it to heat soak and really radiate but it didn't.

Fit & finish
    KTM - perfect
    Wings - perfect

One nice benefit of the Wings was the offset header adapter that allows you to position the muffler a cm or so this way or that. You have some leeway which is nice if you want extra clearance for luggage racks, aux tanks and whatnot. I sprayed it with ispropyl alcohol and gave it good wipe down after install to avoid burning fingerprints onto the surface.

Powah
    Dunno, didn't dyno it. Didn't have to recal. Runs perfect just like it did before. Still wheelies a lot? check

I took the opportunity to fab an ugly ass heatshield out of .049 6061-T6 sheet. Saved .5 lb and make my bike look more hardcore. At last that's what I'm telling myself. Oh yeah, the new shield is much cooler to the touch than the original stainless ones. I'll probably make a new shield from .065 after a few rides with this one and shoot some clear lacquer on it. The raw aluminum will oxidize and leave grey smudges all over anything it wears against. My chain looks slack..

[​IMG]
  3. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awseome. Thanks and ROFL.

[​IMG]

Vasily: But Captain...how will we get the men off the sub?

Ramius: We will tell them that the reactor core has reached stock KTM Enduro R muffler operating temperature and there is risk of imminent meltdown!
  4. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Has anyone repacked their Wings yet? If so, how many miles did you get, and how did the packing look when you got in there?

Just trying to get an idea of when I need to get ready for that activity.

Thanks
  5. MakoRider

MakoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good one. Too funny.:eek1
  6. MakoRider

MakoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to insert the smaller/quieter silencer in the WINGS exhaust. How do you take off the carbon end cap? And install the other insert?
    :stupid
  7. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    you don't need to remove the cap. There is a rubber plug on the bottom of the carbon piece. Remove it and using an allen wrench, remove the bolt that holds the insert. Then work the insert out-kind of a snug fit, but didn't take much effort.

Steve
  8. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the Akra Ti muffler off yesterday, so thought I'd throw it on the scale:
    4.8 lbs Just the can with silencer tip and the small clamp.
  9. MakoRider

MakoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for that info. I never would have looked there. This is why I like these forums. People really help each other out. :kumbaya
  10. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still have an fmf apex for sale!
  11. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emilio700 - that's cool that you saved a half pound with that shield. I want to lighten the "junk in the trunk" as much as possible cause of the RR stuff (rear and soft luggage racks) and im getting a Coyote for camping eqiptment and will be carrying some fuel.

I decided to use the quieter DBK also. The ECU seems to have adapted quite well and so far so good. The Wings guy thinks the quiter DBK might prolong wool life...dunno. Seems like it would retain heat more. No one has an estimate on wool life yet?

I recorded the bike with the quieter DBK in case anyone intersted.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6851/ct1ylxzqsvzcxnifogrcfv.mp4
  12. AccelRus MaxiMus

AccelRus MaxiMus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey palmstatecrawler - are you using the full TI Akrapovic
    exhaust on your 2013 ?

Like the one here: http://www.ktmtwins.com/akrapovic-ktm-690-enduro-smc-titanium-header

I spoke to the Akrapovic US rep and he said
    that they do not know that the Ti exhaust for
    the 08-11 690's fits on the 12-13's...

I thought I saw a post a few pages back with a
    pic of your bike with the Akra on it...

Any issues fitting it
  13. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fits like a glove
  14. Hrspwr Hero

Hrspwr Hero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may have been covered before, but I started with the flat washer with holes in it db reducer. With the akro map and that washer in, my fuel consumption went up by 2.5lt per hundred!! :eek1:eek1:eek1 Made a very different noise too.
    Swaped that out for the tail end baffle and fuel use went back to normal. Love it without any baffles but its to obnoxious for general use. Sounds awesome, like a monster truck coming thru the forest!! :rofl
  15. AccelRus MaxiMus

AccelRus MaxiMus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice - good to know... :) Odd that the US Rep is in the dark about this !
  16. sk1d00

sk1d00 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just bought 2012/13 690 Enduro R from a UK KTM dealer. It came fitted with the Akrapovic end-can (I have the original also).

Questions are: I suspect this the 'race only' end-can so therefore my insurance will not cover it/me? How much of a risk am I taking using it on road? I'm thinking of swapping it back to the original before getting a legal Leo Vince. The bike is mapped for the akrapovic, anyone know how it'll run back on the OEM can with the akro mapping in place? I'm also puzzled as to why it may not a certificate, it's not loud, just fruity :-)

Thanks in advance.
  17. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    insurance - thats for your insurance company to tell you.
    risk... also your descision, and depends if plod is being a knobber and if you pass the attitude test :D

the LV is also loud, it sounds louder than the akra TBH but of course thats by ear and not measured. try have a go on someones bike with the LV first and see if you like it its intrusive and needs use of earplugs.

I have a paper somewhere where the LV is recorded as 98dB

there should be a model number on the can - see if its declared as "race only"
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I have seen other people engrave an E-number in their Akra, while that's illegal too, I'd say the risk of getting caught is minimal as long as you are also leaving the DB-killer in.

If you want to be 100% legal, KTM sells an officially E-approved silencer in the Hard Parts catalog.
  19. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Myself and another friend with a 12 have gone with the latest fmf q. Remove the ugly sticker and the can looks oem, and is just a bit louder than the pizza oven the bike came with, and much quieter than akro or lv.
  20. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean the Q4?

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeAsList/2009_KTM_690ENDUROR

I'm looking to get rid of the OEM can and want the quietest aftermarket option.