KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, thats the one. There may be a quieter can out there, I haven't seen it. Ugly sticker peels right off. Still louder than stock, and a bit louder than I want but very liveable.
  2. sk1d00

sk1d00 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies folks :-)

Turns out the can is 'race use only' plus it didn't come with the baffle :-0. I started a ride into work this morning (very nervous) passed a motorcycle policeman giving a guy a ticket, bottled it, then had to ride past him to leave the bike at home. Lights turned red and I had to pull away (hill start) with the akro (no baffle) right in front if him.

I have asked the dealer to supply the baffle and the fittings for the OEM (some sort of bent bracket etc). Too early for a reply.

Question are:

1) does the OEM exhaust need a heatshield?
    2) if I put the OEM exhaust back on with the akro mapping in place will this damage the exhaust/engine?

Again, thanks in advance.
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have DEP in UK making us a road-legal(in EU & US) silencer to fit all KTM690 Enduro & SMC.
    They have a wealth of experience in making robust, effective silencers, and we have asked for 2 extra features:
    1.A screw-on optional heatshield at the rear to protect the side panel and any soft luggage hanging over the silencer.
    2.Hopefully move the exhaust gas outlet so that it does not melt the turn flasher.

They have a new bike which they will be running on the dyno, we will publish results when we have them.
    [​IMG]
  4. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will it have the US spark arrestor approval too?

Looks good.

MrHix
  5. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any dates for availability :ear
  6. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely..
  7. 13x

13x Adventurer

Oddometer:

OMG! just what the doc ordered! :clap
  8. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    by road legal, do you mean "with catalyst"?

db range expected?

9. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it wont have a catalyst, and we expect 93Db, and removable US spark arrestor.
    We should have the dyno results from DEP soon on our 2011 690R, it is still brand new so should be a good benchmark.
  10. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any news on the new can? I can't find it on the RR website yet
  11. nwvic

nwvic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Wings exhaust installed. Very pleased with the quality and price. An initial test ride found the fueling to be fine without a remap (I'm running the small DB killer). The KTM now sounds like a motorcycle instead of a big lawn mower. You can also tell you don't have a boat anchor tied to your tail.

[​IMG]
  12. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    looks great! Now, keep an eye on the fasteners on the heat shields. In particular, the rear one likes to lose fasteners lol.
  13. lightfighter

Oddometer:
    so, despite the collective lack of enthusiasm for the idea...

I got a spare stock muffler(i like to keep the stock part in case of resale), hacked it open, murdered the cat, and welded her back together. put it back in place of the LV, and rode around the neighborhood. this actually took place over a couple months. beer was consumed. I swear it didn't cut into riding time, cuz i don't actually get to ride, mostly due to being a loser with a job and stuff.

I don't have access to a dyno, but the seat of the pants results are in.

quiet. like stock.

runs, like stock.

still gets hot, but not quite thermonuclear.

there is a nuisance noise from the tailpipe as you come off throttle. sounds almost like my licence plate is loose. I dont remember if that was "like stock" or not. cant hear it while riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(pictures of weld conspicuously missing. My ace TIG weldor is unavailable so I did it myself with a MIG machine. its more of a grinding test than a welding exam)
  14. lightfighter

Oddometer:
    as an aside, when i took off the LV, which had become noticibly louder in 3500 miles, i found that the little circle DB reducer between the mid pipe and the can had bent, and become lodged sideways at the rear DB reducer insert(which is pemanently stuck in the tailpipe, it would appear).

I fixed that, and am going to repack her and put it back on probably.

then i might recut and further gut the stock muffler, and try to emulate the guts of a flowmaster type muffler inside the stock shell.

why? i donno.
  15. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

Did you throw all that platinum away???

Cheers,

MrHix
  16. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still hoping someone can give some color on the repack interval on the Wings Exhaust fitted to 690 Enduro. And when the time does come is there any product that will increase the repack interval?

What do the RTW riders use as a pack? They do tens of thousands of miles and surely don't want to repack often.
  17. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Shadowfax38

Shadowfax38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. Hopefully it's not too expensive and they sell single muffler level quantities. Wonder what it will do to the noise levels vs. stock. I guess it depends on amount used....
  19. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    I'm beginning to think no one has repacked one of these yet on the 690 lol. Mine has over 6k miles, and I've seen, make that heard, no reason to open it up yet.