KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. dirtbikeslob

dirtbikeslob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    all that's left of my wings can after about 6000 kms. crack started at the lower rear rivet,then migrated to what you see in about 300km.when i pulled it apart,about half the packing had blown out.
  3. n17

n17 WINGS producer

Oddometer:
    Slovenia, sea, mountains and everything between
    Receiving no answer at WINGS can mean only ONE THING- that we haven't received your e-mail. Each and every customer is important to us.
    In most cases are the spam filters (on both sides) to blaim.
    Difficulties occour specially with COMCAST.NET.
    Please send me your e-mail once again.
  4. n17

n17 WINGS producer

Oddometer:
    Slovenia, sea, mountains and everything between
    I try hard to produce the best possible mufflers in terms of material and craftmanship.Although the highest quality damping wool is used, the lifespan of the material is limited. No specific change interval can be quoted as lifespan is affected by the type of the engine (single cylinder, twin...). Factors related to riding style - aggressive riding (full throttle, high revs or running without dB-killers inserted) will shorten the lifespan. The single cylinder engine is the most demanding regarding the damping wool (very strong gas pulse) therefore lifespan is the shortest.
    The wool must be replaced immediately after FIRST visual changes (hot spots) are noticeable on the silencer surface or when the exhaust sound becomes louder.
    Failure to change the damping wool as required will result in damage to the silencer.
    I have noticed that your muffler is dented on the lower side which has probably caused the cracking of the outer sleeve.
    Beside this I can't understand why you haven't replaced the damping wool at first signs. Waiting brings no good, as we can see from your case it get only worse.
    As the final consequence of ignoring the instructions the bikers get the impression WINGS sucks and this do me wrong.
  5. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To clarify by "those folks" I was refering to BGF industries and the info requested was for the 2000 degree SilcoSoft product.

Do you have a vendor's thread on here yet? If not, you should start one. I've got a couple more questions for you I'd like to ask you there.
  6. dirtbikeslob

dirtbikeslob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm sent.
  7. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    See my post above and contact the Ebay seller, Bruce Doss. He used to work for BGF and is the only one I know who can get the material directly from the company. I last spoke with him a couple years ago and even he could not get SilcoSoft. But he does have Techmat which is actually the same but lower temp rating.
  8. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does somebody have experience with the Wings exhaust (with dB-killer) versus stock exhaust on a 2013 model year 690 Enduro R? Especially regarding
    - the flow of the exhaust gases (when they leave the muffler) over the left rear indicator? See picture in red.
    - the space between the muffler and the rear plastic cover (almost no space with the stock exhaust which becomes very hot) See picture in blue.

[​IMG]
  9. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    I only had the stock exhaust on my 2013 on the bike for a little over 300 miles, though about 90 of that was the ride home from the dealership. Didn't have any issue with the side plastic, or the turn signal. However, my US model has the turn signal located higher than your pic. I've had the Wings on with max db killer since then and now have over 7,400 miles, and have had neither plastic issues, nor a problem with the turn signal.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any aftermarket exhaust that doesn't have a catalytic converter and is properly packed won't even get hot enough to burn your hand let alone melt the plastic fender/side cover. As for exhaust gas on the turn signal, based on your picture I'm not so sure.
  11. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The turn signal on my 2013 made it 5200 miles with the stock thermo nuclear reactor. But within 200 miles an FMF Q4 had melted the bottom 1/3 of the turn signal. As mentioned above, the turn signal on the 2013 is higher and closer to the exhaust than the one in the pic.
  12. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I have a 2013 with an FMF Q4 and after 1k miles there no issues at all. The muffler really doesn't get that hot, even after an hour of riding I can still touch the canister with a bare hand.
  13. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    I got a new WINGS muffler a couple of months ago and ordered the 32mm and 28mm DBKillers. Both came with the spark arrestor mesh. The 28mm even has a "cap" over the meshed end. I tried the 32mm and it was way too loud. I put the 28mm in and it is just bearable but would love it to be even quieter.

Gorazd, can you make the muffler with some internal baffles/chambers to make it even quieter?

Cheers
    Trev
  14. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont think you need to worry about melting signals on the euro model. Mine melted with my akro after a long day of slow riding. Sicass flush mounts fixed that. I was and still am bothered by the amount of clearance between the fender and exhaust. I mounted mine differently than instructed by akro to get more clearance.

How its mounted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Melted signal:
    [​IMG]
  15. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's interesting that it hasn't damaged your turn signal. I agree that the canister doesn't get that hot and can be touched with a bare hand. Its the hot exhaust blowing on the turn signal that has melted it.
  16. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I shortened the stalk on the turn sigs. Cut out the center section with the two rings you see there and epoxy the two pieces back together. You can run some thin aluminum tubing in the hole to join the pieces, but not necessary. If you're still concerned spray the plastic shell with some black high temp ceramic paint. Worked for me.

By the way, the tip of the rear plastic fender actually touches the Akro exhaust on my bike. Not a hint of melt in 6,000 miles.
  17. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.

Yes, there seems to be differences between model years and/or region.

So I made some pictures myself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the exhaust flow is not pointed directly towards the indicator, but the indicator does get warm after a short ride in nearly-freezing temperatures. I am worried in a hot summer with a long ride and slow speeds.

I found some pictures of wings exhaust on 690 enduro's and it seems that the wings exhaust maintains the exhaust flow direction of the stock exhaust.

Still it would be nice if somebody has pictures of the wings on a '13 EU model.
  18. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    While it's not a 13, you could pm this guy and ask him how it's working out!
  19. bthebird

bthebird Knight in muddy armor

Oddometer:
    You don't have to worry about melting the OEM signals with the EU models Kasper, I tried to melt them...but couldn't.:D
    I did relocate the turn signals though, because I cut the mudflap because of the danger of ripping the damn thing off when offroading. I can post a pic if you want, but many did the same with far better pictures than I could ever make in these gloomy Belgian lightconditions.:lol3

I had a Leovince exhaust in the past, but the thing was too noisy for offroading in our overcrowded country. Stock is hot and heavy...but nice stealthy too. Also...it can take many a bashing!

PS: I see your brand new machine has TKC's on them. Watch out when you take it offroad in muddy conditions! That tire is very sucky here...
  20. ry8762

ry8762 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have a 690 enduro 2014 on order for the beggining of march, i have traded my smcr 2012 in for it and i have kept the wings end can so im wondering if it will be suitable for the new enduro with it having the different throttle system???

and also is there a map available as there is only the 1 ecu now and not 2 so i presume the maps will be different???

i have checked the part numbers on both bikes for the original standard can and they are different (i thought that if they was the same then the wings would be ok as there would be no difference in the original ones)

also when i had the wings on the smcr after a few thousand miles it randomly broke down and it was running like crap limping home and blew the throttle body off which caused the tps sensor to hit the frame therefore needing a new tps sensor, ktm fixed it under warranty but advised me to remove the wings as it was too free flowing running it with out any inserts causing the bike to back fire.

i contacted [SIZE=-2]Gorazd Marovic at wings a few month ago and put this to him, he asked me to wait a few days so they could give me a proper answer but that was the last i herd!!!

cheers
    [/SIZE]