KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did the 15 minute Idle procedure after installing the Wings exhaust with the large tip. I have also installed the UNI-Foam filter, oiled and greased (greased at connection of filter and air box) with the stock air box cover. After 15 minutes no noticeable problems. I let the bike cool down and then started the bike again and cracked the throttle. Had a little rumble at Idle and a rap of authority at higher RPM. Not to loud in my estimation, but then most of my riding will be in the woods, not in town. If I needed to go into town I would just be real easy on the throttle and you shouldn't be noticed.
  2. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed my Wings yesterday. Seems to be very well made. Install took about 1/2 hour including removal of old pipe. Sound is good. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sent Gorazd payment on Thursday of last week, and had the pipe on Friday. Fast turnaround. Came neatly packaged with a nice T-shirt and a sheet of Wings Stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Curious if the Wings muffler has any silly legal markings on it, such as "for race use only"
  4. MTK

MTK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No markings, none. Sounds great have the large DB killer in place.

The wings web shows the large DB coming with a spark arrester. Mine did not, will heve to change to small if I ever do a ride with a FS inspect.
  5. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look through the end of the muffler with the large tip installed before you install the muffler, you will see a spark arrester screen as part of the large tip (about 6" in). You will be able to see through the muffler and out the other end. The small tip has its own screen and cup at the end to reduce the DB's and increase the spark arrester potential.
  6. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Thanks

7. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Questions are:
    If you have the Wings exhaust, have you repacked it?

and if so, at what mileage?

and, what was the condition of the packing?

Probably good info to know would be restrictor in back of it.

I'm at 10k miles with the max db killer, and haven't touched it. Tapping on the side of the can still gives a solid sound.
  8. ccaarmerciill

ccaarmerciill Talk Story

Oddometer:
    I went with Wings as well... VERY happy with it, and they are great to work with. Mine arrived way faster than I expected. Best part? The price... quality is great... sound is great. I would not be nearly as happy as I am now if I had spent the $ on an Akrapovic. Every KTM I own from now on will have a Wings fitted. :wink:
  9. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for a quiet slip-on for a '14.

What's the concensus with regard to sound level bertween the FMF Q4 and the Wings....which is considered to be more quiet?
  10. Dhawkk

Dhawkk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pm sent ! I hope you still have it and would like to part ways with it. :evil
  11. itnanti

itnanti aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer:
    I know that the oem exhaust runs really hot compared to the aftermarket exhaust. Do they also make the engine run a little cooler?
  12. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I have noticed just stops you burning everything
  13. itnanti

Oddometer:

Thanks. I've got a scar to show for it :)
  14. Dhawkk

Dhawkk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone looking to sell a slip on? Or know of good places to search for one second hand?
  15. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Better ship those wheels before you buy a pipe.

You previously asked why I sold the APEX...

It was a hair loud for off-road. The wings is great. Fit is perfect, sound is perfect. 431.00 shipped. Hand made. Had in my hands 1 week from the day it was ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Full akra and I'm still burning the pants around my ankles. I have some heat wrap that I was about to try out but the header is f'in expensive and I don't want to ruin it. Considering ceramic coat vs the wrap now. Is ceramic coating something you can do at home out of a spraycan or what?
  17. PumpinIron

PumpinIron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo, my brand new Wings exhaust arrives on Monday!
  18. Dhawkk

Dhawkk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :nod Just got them all pretty and power washed for you today :beer

I have been strongly considering the wings. The apex appeals to me because it is so loud but I just feel like it looks so awkward. After seeing some of these pictures of the wings it is really growing on me. I love how perfectly it seems to compliment the bike. Have you, or anyone else ever tried running it with no db killer? I know it's probably not recommended... But I wonder how it sounds.
  19. itnanti

Oddometer:
    Anybody running the quiet insert on the wings? How does it compare to the loud? Do you still get the low end grunt of the loud? I like the stealthiness of the stock sound. I wonder if wings can ship me the exhaust with the quiet insert installed?
  20. ccaarmerciill

ccaarmerciill Talk Story

Oddometer:
    They include both. It's just a small allen key to swap them out. Super easy.

I've only ran the loud insert since getting it. I heard with no insert, they reccomend mapping. It's perfect with the loud insert, you can cruise around without being obnoxious, but when you wring the bike out, it definitely barks. Made the bike much more enjoyable to ride. I may try the quiet insert out, just to see how much of a difference it makes... but will likely go back to loud insert after.