KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dogday

dogday Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see what you mean, looking at the OEM part list I see there has been a change to just one mount hole/bolt for the 14' can. If KTM think is is good enough to have just one bolt then you should try to use one of the two holes in the older can to mount it. It may not be a perfect match on the sleeve over the header pipe and you might need to pack any gaps where the can mounts to the frame with washers or bushes , preferably rubber, as the mounting method on all years including yours have rubber isolation bushes. Best to just have a play around and see what works with what you have. If the existing hole position is just too far out to be practical, I would look at drilling new holes on the can mount tabs that will line up better. If needed you can extend the tabs a bit by welding a extra pieces in where you need the new holes. It is stainless but can be mig welded using mild steel if you have a mate with a mig welder.
    Let us know how it goes, great blog by the way, really enjoyed reading what you have done.
  2. webbiker

webbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sure and thanks.

690enduror.blogspot.fi
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a '14 Enduro.
    I don't seem to be able to find a source in the U.S. for the Wings
    exhaust slip on.
    Can anyone help ?
    Let the farkeling begin :D

GO!!!!!!! Max
  4. desmocourtney

desmocourtney No falls, no balls.

Oddometer:
  5. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm still waiting for a reply form Wings.

Max
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Got the Wings and installed it .
    Fast shipping and great price.
    Top quality.
    Forget about the pos FMF crap.

Sounds great with the large baffle.
    Wings says there is no need to reprogram
    with the large baffle installed, unless you are
    installing a freer flowing air filter.

I'll have a twin air and the RR rally style filters,
    so I'll get the dealer to install the Akro map and see
    how it runs.

GO!!!!!!! Max
  7. webbiker

Oddometer:
    Comparison between a decatted pipe and an unmodified one. Details under the sig if you are interested.

<IFRAME height=480 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yBbSzjiGAh4" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>
  8. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonder what all the smoke is after de-cat?
  9. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    Nice demo. Very similar to my experience with the same process. Mine sounded a little more "tinny" though, and I put the Leo Vince back on.

I may cut it open again and try something else.

That looks like cold weather exhuast vapor to me?
  10. webbiker

Oddometer:

Most likely. I don't see what else it could really be. The modified exhaust shouldn't have any sort of residue that would produce smoke. Unless the welder greased it up from the inside or something...

690enduror.blogspot.fi
  11. panhndl

panhndl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Akrapovic sells a titanium exhaust header that could shed more weight off the stock set up on the 690. Anyone know if this would fit with the Wings or how much weight it would cut?
  12. dogday

dogday Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have had the header off mine while I modded the muffler (see posts a couple of pages back) The stock header is already very very light, any weight saving will be small but expensive. The stock muffler is a different story of course.
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The stock header is titanium, so yeah, you won't see hardly any weight savings going to the Akra.
  14. bstavrev

bstavrev Supermoto User

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

Thanks for the great thread and knowledge base. I have a 2015 SMC R (enduro r's cousin). I have also (like many of you did) mounted the Wings exhaust and have some information to share for those who are interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a small link pipe that should be also added to the Wings weight (it weighs no more than 150-200 gr.)

So the Stock exhaust is 2,5 kg. heavier than the Wings (which is a 0,5 kg. difference from what is stated on the Wings site)

[​IMG]

And here is how it sounds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-GSdJeNDFA

I am still in the breaking in period, so I will run it with the large dB killer. I plan on buying the bigger (Evo1) air filter box and remapping with Evo 1 map for 2014 bike after I break in the engine.
    johnd.211 likes this.
  15. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you repost those pics in a smaller size please, maybe 1000px wide.

TBH none of this is really unknown info on here.
  16. bstavrev

bstavrev Supermoto User

Oddometer:
    Sorry, the last 10 pages or so I saw approximates on how much does either can weigh and how much it saves but no exact figures. With the pictures above I am giving exact numbers + sound test. If you don't find this information useful have the administrators delete my post or just skip it.
    Cheers,
  17. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd just be happy if you could resize your pics.

There is no bigger air box available unless there are new options available for 2015 bikes? You could mod the oem snorkel or get the evo1 air box lid in combination with the re-map. There is more info on the snorkel mod on the 690 tuneecu thread.
  18. bstavrev

bstavrev Supermoto User

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant, the Evo 1 air box lid.

I decided to share this information in order to clarify the real weight savings because I saw posts in this thread like the one below, several pages back:

"New exhaust in on the 2014. Wings.

Sounds good, looks good, 10 lbs lighter.

Fits great."

The Wings exhaust isn't 10 lbs lighter...so Mr. MeinMotorrad "TBH none of this is really unknown info on here.", maybe there are some people here that don't know the facts. Next time, before picking on someone, you should scroll through the thread.
  19. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. bstavrev

bstavrev Supermoto User

Oddometer:
    Please stop with the stupid/pointless posts. You can see the real numbers: the actual save is not -3 kg. vs. the stock muffler but -2.5 kg. (Wings exhaust with link pipe weighs 2 kg. vs. 4.5 kg. for the stocker do the math). I read through the thread and saw that some users (not as advanced as you are) had wrong information, so I decided to share. I don't see where is the problem.

P.S. Are you the local troll? As i PM'd you if you have any problem with my post report to admin but please stop trolling.