KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Don't buy the Carbon Performance heat sheilds. I have them and I would not recommend. Fit is sloppy, and overall quality is much less than I expected. I also have their swingarm protectors and those are decent, I just can't recommend the exhaust shields. If you shelled out all the cash for a full Ti Akra kit with a ceramic coat, then don't waste your time looking at others...just get the Akra carbon shields. I've seen them up close on a friend's SMC and they are top notch (top price, too). Just bite the bullet.
  2. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Runs cool, light and purdy!
    Ks_Gman, motocopter, josip01 and 3 others like this.
  3. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:

OK, well it looks like I bought the wrong model exhaust for my 2016 Enduro R. The header lines up, the exhaust fits, but the OEM holder is different. If I change out the OEM holder can I use this exhaust? I can't find the Akrapovic Ti exhaust for the model year 2016.

If there is a better thread for my question, point me to it. My search came up empty :hmmmmm
  4. Soontobe3

Soontobe3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The exhaust holder you are referring to up under the tail fairing I assume? If so yes swapping out the OEM holder to the previous model (pre-2014 it was the two bolt version) will work, I had the same problem fitting an earlier model powerparts exhaust to my 2015 and had to purchase the older model holder.

Part no. for the holder is 76505084000, collars (58405050065) and the dampers (54305068100).

KTM Exhaust Parts.JPG
  5. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    Thank you Soontobe3. Other than the part swap, is there any mechanical reason why the exhaust wouldn't work or can it harm the engine?
  6. Soontobe3

Soontobe3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries.

No mechanical damage can occur, for reference I've also fitted an earlier model header to my 2015 (massive dent in the original when the bike cartwheeled down a trail but that's another story lol), and other than the exhaust shield mounting bracket which is no longer welded on, it is identical in every way to the current one.

All good, enjoy, post a pic up when it's installed, should look great.
  7. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    Perfection. Hopefully I don't leave those sexy heat shields in the Rocky Mountains after a crash :photog

This is a full header pipe, ceramic coated and Ti Akrapovic exhaust system. :raabia

IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG IMG_4647.JPG IMG_4648.JPG
    MotoPundit likes this.
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if you have commented (somewhere) about the aux fuel tank and new air filter arrangement. If so, maybe you could point us that direction. Tia

9. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    There is a great thread on this topic http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-auxiliary-fuel-tank.974582/page-10#post-31069061
    Highly recommend the auxiliary tank. Install is easy and Rade is GREAT to work with... Awesome product. www.radegarage.com

Check out my ride across America to benefit Wounded Warrior Project. www.crossingamericaondirt.com
    motocopter likes this.
  10. Soontobe3

Soontobe3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the guidance Soontobe3. The parts diagram and intel you gave me made it possible.
  12. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the exact same setup. Lost the center heat shield on rather challenging trail. Locktite recommended and if you're going really gnarly you might consider some safety wire as additional, temporary insurance. Also the CF tip looks great but is not as well made as it should be-thin, epoxy cooked out. Keep rocks away from it, cracks like an egg.
  13. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to verify an exhaust is Akrapovic vs a Chinese knock off?

Is it full Titanium as in a magnet should not stick to it at all?

I found a great deal but want to be sure it is the real deal.
  14. Tessier

Tessier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never heard of a Chinese knock off of an exhaust. I would say weight it. Chinese metals are notoriously off just a wee bit. This would be best way I can thing of.
  15. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
  16. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Love how the Akro sticker is an addon:rofl
  17. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    And look closely at that carbon fiber tip
  18. RTF

RTF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering getting the akropovic slip on and a remap from the dealer. Does anyone have any regrets going this route? Any issues at all?

My bike is older (2008) and just wondering if this is worth while. My stock can is so warm it's melting my rear turn signal, so I'd love to shed some weight and losee some heat at the same time.
    tictac74 likes this.
  19. RTF

RTF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone chime in that just added the akropovic slip on and re mapped with the dealer? I've read alot of stalling issues and just want to hear from some others before doing it.

Has anyone had any issues working with a dealer and getting the maps loaded?
  20. magwych

magwych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife's '08 was a pig to start and prone to stalling. Then we fitted the Akra' and loaded the official KTM map for the year and exhaust. All problems gone.
    There are a few steps to follow, some dealers are skipping the EP maps, for example, or omitting the 15 idle reset for the trims.
    If done properly it is like night and day. If not, it is easy rectify by redoing the maps properly.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk