KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a Leo Vince on? Where can you buy it in the US with right brackets? It's for 2017 model...
  2. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello. I have been following this thread and associated posts since it included a group buy for the Leo Vince exhausts. I recently purchased a Leo Vince exhaust that did not include the db reducers many have referenced in this thread. If anyone has a reducer for a Leo Vince X3 that is not needed, please email me or PM me directly. My manual references an internal pipe of T36 or 36mm. Several have referenced a 35mm reducer. Therefore, I think the 35 mm reducers are compatible with my pipe. Also, if you know of a distributor for Leo Vince in the United States that sell reducers or hangers, please reply to this post. I would like to purchase one or two hangers. I have already contacted the distributor for the group buy, Renazco, and learned he is no longer a LV distributor.

I will ship the motorcycle to New Zealand and Australia this fall and I need a reducer to ensure the XRV750 Africa Twin will pass their warrant of fitness safety inspection.

Thanks in advance!
  3. mpower13

mpower13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the wings exhaust with no dB killer. What are my options for a tune?
  4. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would depend on what year your bike is. 2014+, you might get away with an EVO1 tune from the dealer, but I don't think you need one if you haven't changed the airbox. I idled mine for 15 min to "relearn" and it runs fine with the wings. I also am running a Rottweiler intake - with no tune.

If you're bike is 2013 or older, tunes are literally limitless.
  5. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I'll be driving through Slovenia in September anyone knows if there is any $ advantage in picking up a muffler from the factory if possible.
  6. mpower13

mpower13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. My bike is a 2017. The reason I ask is because it seems Wings states and others on the interwebs have said that if you run the pipe wih neither of the dB killers the bike needs a tune. It’s surprising to me that a dB killer with a mesh screen (flame arrestor I assume) can cause enough difference to not require a tune. The bike runs fine without, but of course I dont have an AFR gauge to see if its running lean.
  7. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Love the idea of an akra factory shop selling seconds but common sense tells me the closest one gets to it is a v securely locked bin full of Ti scrap!
    a2zworks likes this.
  8. Craigtbone

Craigtbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 690 Enduro on order, should have it in a week or two. I would like to order a Wings slip on. Can also order either two or three shields.

Photos of the stock 690 seem to show it with two bolt on shields. Is the pipe that the stock shields bolt to replaced with the Wings?

Will those stock shields bolt onto the Wings exhaust or are the Wings shields needed?

Are the Wings shields just lighter?

Sorry if this has been answered already. I have read hundreds of pages about the 690 and do not recall specific info about the shields. Might have missed it though.

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Craig T.
  9. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wings makes only the slip on. So the pipe stay factory. You can change just the slip on and leave factory shields on. They are maybe slightly lighter but factory shields are light too. It’s mostly that carbon fiber looks better. I had painted my shields black once when I was bored.
  10. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    DE8D256D-9EEF-4223-AB99-870D8426A86A.jpeg I gutted my oem and inserted a 2" perforated tube wrapped in silencing matting, also cut out the outlet and welded larger diameter tube.
    Now its only just warm to the touch, you can hold your hand on it for as long as you want and won't burn.
    Oh yes, it sounds fantastic and not too loud.
    One other thing is it doesn't pop on deceleration.
    Phi1osopher and sprouty115 like this.
  11. Craigtbone

Oddometer:
    Thank you goyko. Most helful info.

Wings muffler is now on order.
    goyko likes this.
  12. Craigtbone

Oddometer:
    My apologies in advance for asking this, as I know I read about this but for the life of me I cannot find the full description now.

Last week I finally brought home my new 2018 690. While waiting for it I ordered several accessories, including a Wings slip on and a Giant Loop Great Basin saddle bag.

I put the saddle bag on but did not have time to install the Wings. Naturally the saddle bag loosened a little during my first ride and the muffler melted the edge seam a little. Grrrrrrr.

This weekend I installed the Wings slip on. That is a superbly constructed piece of hardware!

Sooooo, I need to do the 15 min idle thing. I have read / skimmed most 690 threads in this forum and recall a detailed description of that. As I recall it is simply starting it and not touching the throttle for 15 minutes. Also the suggestion was made to position a fan blowing on the radiator to help it not overheat.

Is that it? If there is more to it could someone point me to the thread that has that detailed description?
  13. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    I did this with my 990 whenever I made changes, widely discussed on here, but have never found the need to do it with my 690.
  14. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nonsense and internet myth. I talked to multiple ktm techs here and in Europe. They all laughed at that statement.
  15. Thor_du

Thor_du Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's 10 minutes for the twin spark / ride by wire 690s.
    Not 15 minutes.

(as written in the workshop manual).

Read this.

KTM 690 2014 and after throttle calibration.jpg
    Phi1osopher and MotoPundit like this.
  16. Thor_du

Thor_du Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I don't go to KTM dealers anymore.
    All these procedures are written in the workshop manuals.

So they aren't internet myths.
    Phi1osopher and sprouty115 like this.
  17. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not an internet myth. It was written into the service manual for the earlier bikes. I have always done it, but plenty of people have not and not had an issue...

(Edited per Thor_du's comment about later bikes)

Direct from the 2009 Repair manual:

Capture.JPG
    Thor_du likes this.
  18. Craigtbone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.

I did a 15 min run last night, started, did not touch the throttle for >15 min. Then without shutting off I drove it into the shop.

Did I invalidate the run?

Does it need to shut off without thouching the throttle?
  19. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're fine.
  20. Craigtbone

Oddometer:
    Thanks