1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did both of you missed the first part of it in the manual where you have to hook it up to diagnostics tool first and reset certain values and then do the 15 min idle???
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your comment was fairly broad in scope. Which is why I replied that performing an "initilization run" is not a myth. Perhaps we both could have been more specific as to the changes he was asking about.
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Are you saying the ecu adaption is reset by shorting it? I guess the text in red is your guess?
  4. Thor_du

Thor_du Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm saying that a battery reset could probably replace the "reset the adaptation values" button on the computer.
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I'm wondering what kind of memory is used in the ecu, some needs electrical charge to keep their content - but others work fine without being powered.
    Someone who has a tuneecu compatible bike can check, "reset adaption" should be greyed out when the values have been reset.
  6. adrianbrewster

adrianbrewster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone compared the Evo 1 map from the dealer and a tune from a power commander v? I am about to order a Wings slip on and already have a Rottweiler intake on my bike. Its good to know that I can run the bike without altering the fueling at all, but I am hopeful someone can speak to the advantages to:

- The Rottweiler Fuel Dongle
    - The Evo Map from the KTM Dealer
    - The power commander v

I know the bike will run "okay" without any of the above from what I have read. I would perhaps want to set the bar a bit higher than "okay" though.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've almost given up on this "shoveling sand against the tide". But, I'll try once more.

Disconnecting the battery does nothing, all memory is retained. Just letting your bike idle wastes gas. To quickly reset the adaptations - you must clear out the old adaptations by using TuneECU or the XC1 at the dealer. Then let it idle, from cold, without touching the throttle, for at least 10-15 minutes, then shut it off. Once the radiator fan comes on, you can just quit short of any time value.

Otherwise - the bike will continue to change the adaptations while you ride. It may take three heat cycles to see it fully change. Fuel remaps or tuning changes may seem to revert back after three heat cycles because of this.

This is my experience and training by mapping or initializing a 100 bikes or so over the last 10 years.
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    FWIW, this is exactly what I was told by my dealer.
  9. Thor_du

Thor_du Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "should" and of course, this would only work if the adaptation values are stored in a kind of "RAM" or semi-RAM type memory.

I mentionned it because it's worth a try as I heard you guys have some problems in the US to get your bike remapped by the dealer.

Of course there's nothing like a dedicated and functionning programm...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have you guys now found some proper tuning shops that can work their magic on these ECUs btw?
  10. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    I understand the difference between the Wings and OEM with respect to weight and heat (no Cat converter) of the exhaust. What are people's experience with respect to engine temps?
  11. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

sprouty115 likes this.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    With that much damage, it almost appears to be intentional. Even if it wasn't, it still looks it. My suggestion would be to get a Wings and some insulating material.
  13. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep your OEM exhaust get it repacked. Get some 1/4in thick Heatshield Wrap and wrap your exhaust and add some up against the plastic it comes in proximity with. Now your bike wont look like it was in a garage fire :lol2
    /fin

ETA: Get new graphite gaskets for the midpipe and header
  14. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that...

No aftermarket exhaust will be as quite as the stock unit, but the FMF Q4 (you will have to find a used one, as they don't seem to be making them any more), or the Wings with the small dB killer are both very reasonable.

I live in the city and commute on my bike. I leave the house very early and I've never had a complaint from my neighbors.

Given the space you have to work with around the stock exhaust, any suggestion to keep it with the CAT intact will likely result in the same issue.
  15. cjoles

cjoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven’t seen much on this pipe, either written or video review.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...lip-on-exhaust-husqvarna-701-ktm-690-enduro-r

I took a chance and popped for the R-77 kit from Revzilla where I had some Zilla cash laying around. All my research indicated it would be a complete slip-on replacement giving me everything I needed. And it does.

First off, the pipe is gorgeous, thinner but longer than stock putting the exhaust under the turn signals where I’m less afraid of melting them. I also wanted a USFS approved spark arrestor, which comes with the pipe. What I found hard to get details on but confirmed upon installation is that the spark arrestor is combined with a ‘low volume’ insert. Score! Installation was quick and easy. Take the opportunity and spend the $20 at Yoshimura direct for the exhaust shield; finishes up the install nicely. Fit and finish are great!

I did the 15 minute reset then went out and BRAAAAPed around downtown Chicago running some errands. Sound is great at idle or on easy throttle with a low bass which sounds more “substantial”. Hard on the throttle and the bark is significant, almost a hair loud for my taste. Butt dyno feels like a minor improvement in overall power and the heat is significantly reduced as one would expect. I just finished a 150 mile 1st leg of a 1000 mile trip, mix of freeway and rural 2 lane roads and the sound is growing on me. With earplugs, at 70+mph I can still hear the pipe in the background, but drop a gear and pass and the sound is everywhere. I can get used to this. Ambient temps were in the upper-60s, low-70s and humid. Gas mileage may have improved 1-2 mpg and the engine temp dropped a bar but I'll report back after the trip. I’ll try to post a couple of pics tonight after work when I unload the bike at the hotel.

Anyone else have one of these on their 690/701 and care to comment?
  16. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can find the bit on fitting the FMF 4/4.1 to a 690? Can't seem to find the actual post despite being able to see multiple references to it..
  17. Unsprung

Unsprung n00b

Oddometer:
    I got one a few weeks ago after seeing your post here. I installed it on my 2018 690r - super easy install. I love it. Your comments mirror my feelings, so nothing really to add. I need to look into that Yoshi exhaust shield, though. I’m considering getting the rade garage intake next. I assume I shouldn’t have to re-map after what i’ve Read.
  18. cjoles

cjoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats.I also did the Yoshi exhaust shield and it compliments the pipe nicely and finishes it off. Can't beat it for the price.

I didn't remap but was running fairly rich during the trip. During my 6k service upon my return, the mechanic adjusted the air-fuel mixture and it's quite a bit better now. Enjoying the sound!

Thanks for sharing!
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a use 2018 KMT 690 Enduro R.

Wings vs. stock question. Can someone give me the Cliff Note version of cost benefits:

- What's stock weight vs. Wings? Some of information and YouTube suggest 1/2 the weight.

- Is the heat coming off stock muffler ( new ) that bad ?

- Benefits of Wings? Does it remove catalytic converter.

- I don't want to mess with remapping or ECU. Does Wings require any remapping?

- Any other benefits of Wings?

Thanks.
  20. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    Wings cuts the weight by about 1/2 and the heat by more than 3/4 as it eliminates the catalytic converter. This is my second KTM with Wings and the heat difference alone was worth it on my previous 990.
    GF-kam likes this.