KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Sounds like huge weight saving and running cooler. Many thanks for the skinny on Wings for WR250R.
  2. HasThisNameBeenTaken

HasThisNameBeenTaken n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, new here.

Just wanted to post my gorgeous akropovic on my 2016 SMC. Not sure if sad or glad, had endless shit with this exhaust.

Now just time need fork out for a yummy yoshi.

Attached Files:

3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the model without the quiet tip.
    Buildzall likes this.
  4. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had the same thing happen on my fly and ride from OH to TN... Went with the FMF 4.1 and dig it so far
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Did the Rust-Oleum hold up over time on the KTM 690 muffler shields ? Did you have to prep the heat shields before painting? Any other info relating to paint and long term results. Thanks.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year Gorazd.

I just picked up a 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R. Still trying to learn more about it and mods. I see numerous posts about changing the muffler. If I could pose a few more questions:

- What are the top reasons to change the stock KTM muffler?

- I just want to confirm. I understand no remapping is required with your Wings muffler. True? Do I need to do untying else other than installing muffler?

- Any drop in gas mileage? By what amount?

- Does the Wings muffler change my KTM service interval in anyway? Like making engine run hotter which in turn effects oil and metal parts.

- Can the muffler be touched by hand or soft luggage after extended riding?

- Any repacking of muffler required? How often? Where do I get packing kit ?

- Any other helpful information I need before making decision?

- I am in USA . Near Washington, DC. Is it better to buy direct from you or is shipping cost and price lower if I find USA dealer?

- Other than price, why Wings and not other muffler brands like Akropovic?

Many thanks.

Kam
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh well. Despite my questions to Wings above, I decided to make the plunge on what I researched. Although the video may not precisely capture the difference, the Wings muffler sounds more like a thumper. Tested with the dB killer installed.

Sound of stock muffler:

Sound of 690 with Wings:
  8. TheBavarian

TheBavarian Just gonna send it

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all.
    I'm having an issue with the installation of my stock muffler and was wondering if somebody has had a similar issue.

Bike is a 2012 Enduro, European model.
    It came with are LeoVince One muffler, but it wasn't running right, so I've decided to put the stock muffler back on.
    For some reason the stock assembly doesn't line up with the two muffler mounting bolts at all. I replaced the gasket between the header pipe and muffler to prevent any exhaust leaks, but I'm unable to fix the muffler mounting bolts, when the muffler is correctly seated into the header pipe. To get the muffler bolts to line up I get a gap of about 1cm at the connection.
    It's almost like the header pipe and/or muffler is too short.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Cheers

IMG_8446.JPG IMG_8451.JPG
  9. blackSP

blackSP 46 59 59 46 46 21

Oddometer:
    As I'm planning my 2021 690 now, I'm looking at eliminatiing the nuclear fusion heat disposer. Did that with all my bikes to date.
    My nr. 1 important item is noise. Europe is getting very strict and I'm planning many long rides.

Looking at the powerparts Akra (about 1100 euros) and Remus (about 800 euros) I can also get a Wings here in the NL for 599.

Does anyone has experience with sound production of any of these exhausts? My fav is the Akra (not for the euros hahaha)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    I have the Wings and am very pleased on my 690. I ran the Leo Vince on my 990 previously and it worked well for 36,000 miles I had it. Producer of Wings used to work for Akrapovic, so they are very similar. Wings sell direct to consumer so that is most of the price difference.
  11. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what you can expect with your carbon fiber tip Akra or other exhaust if you're riding the bike like you should (or shouldn't :bluduh):

Akra CF Exhaust Tip.jpg

I'm planning on making a new one of better composite material, so if anyone has the Akrapovic can on 2012-? and have an interest, let me know.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  12. blackSP

blackSP 46 59 59 46 46 21

Oddometer:
    Thanks but my question is really to find out more about decibels. I know the Wings brand but I need to know which one is most quiet
  13. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    You’re supposed to keep the bike on the wheels :lol3
    There’s a metal end cap on the muffler, the cf cone is just covering it for good looks. If you want something that lasts make a cone of stainless steel :lol3
    ramjet likes this.