KTM 690 Enduro tire recommendations?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dbrum, Nov 9, 2016.

1. dbrum

dbrum canuckInCali

Oddometer:
    Have a 2016 690 which came with MT-21's. It's time to change them. I was set on getting K60 Scout's but heard from another 690 owner that this was not recommended as these tires "weren't so great for lighter enduro bikes" like the 690. Being a relative newbie on Enduro's - my previous bikes were all the heavier 1200GS variety for a long time, I am not sure now what tire set to go with.

My riding is about 50/50 split... I use the bike for 30 miles round trip commuting to work along Bay Area roads. Weekends i'm up on the trails or goat roads and stuff like that. Have a few trips planned to DV etc this spring, but I am not riding hard core single-track on a regular basis.

What would you guys suggest and why? Advice appreciated.
  2. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    I have been using metzeler sahara III for about 4 years straight. Best true 50-50 tire IMO. I had a 690 as well, on which they lasted about 7.000 kms (rear).
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mitas E 07 rear and Conti TKC 80 front for me. Worked well on and off road on both my 990 and 690. Current rear right at 6000 miles. Good for another 2k. Heidi rear is a little less aggressive off road and wears a little better. Hard compound!
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Motoz Mountain Hybrid is my next rear tire for my TE630- Haven't settled on a front yet, but the MT21 gets good reviews, no?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  5. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Mitas E-07 rear, E-09 front. Great longevity, great all around 50/50 setup.

For more dirt bias, you can't beat the Michelin Desert Race tire
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. fseybert

fseybert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I commute 48 miles, one way, 17 of that forest service. I'm getting good results out of the MT-21 front, and the D908RR rear. Going 4000 miles on a set. Front could go further but gets the trailing edge wear from braking. I run a little bit of everything, interstate at 85 mph, two lanes, gravel, sand, a creek crossing, but not much mud. Pain the rear to mount, and pricey, but happy with the D908RR. I have 13,500 miles on my '15.
    RsZk likes this.
  7. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    I ran MT21 front E07 rear. Solid grip and wear is pretty good. You have to keep an eye on the tire pressures especially for the MT21 or it wears funny.....every 2nd knob gets shorter so the ride gets a bit vibie.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    MT21 front and the EO7 rear was going to be my suggestion for you.
    I haven't run the MT21 on my 690 yet but have done a lot of miles with one on my 1190R.

If you want to go more aggressive on the back just go the old 606. They are relatively cheap, get ok wear and a good all rounder.

Sorry to fseybert but I think the 908 is bloody terrible, especially for the money you pay. Never again.
  9. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Combo I've liked the best so far is E09 rear and 606 front. MT21 rear was good too.
    Off-topic Q @Night Falcon: Had same MT21 front knob issues. Is that from too low psi on pavement?
  10. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    It may seem like an expensive alternative, but get a set of SM wheels.
    That way you get two bikes in one.
    The 690 is ridiculous fun on the street with them, and then you can get some nice aggressive knobbies for the dirt and keep the wear on them to a minimum.
    Hotbrakes and Wiesbaden like this.
  11. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    My MT-21 front did that too, figured it was from knob flex during hard street braking. I like the T-63 front a lot for 50/50 on my second one.. The Mountain Hybrid is more fun on the street than the MT-21 rear but does not side-hill well on dirt.

Always a compromise for 50/50. I will never run an expensive tire on a bike like the 690 which eats tires.. Give me 2 $70 tires over any $160 tire any day..
  12. WillDieSoon

WillDieSoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also like the E-07 rear, but use the E-10 front for most of my riding.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have Vee Rubber 401s (essentially, big block tread); excellent performance, on and off road; would like more mileage from the rear tire.
  14. dbrum

dbrum canuckInCali

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. motnodgir

motnodgir Hah!

Oddometer:
    My current setup on my 2015 is MT21 up front Motoz Desert HT on the rear. So far this combo is working really well for me. I am running tubliss front and back so I air down when I hit the dirt and air up when back on the pavement.
    My riding consists of 60% fire road, single track and 40% pavement,hiway.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run Mt-21 front and normally rear. I put a Mitas E10 on the rear for a long (2800 mile) trip this summer. I want a full knobby for the riding I do. I was hoping this would be a 6000 mile tire, but I don't think it is going to make it. I have about 3000 on it and will ride it for short rides, but I don't think I could get another 2500 mile trip out of it.

Maybe the other Mitas tires get better mileage.
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am about to install my third set of tires on my 690. The set on it now is a Michelin T63 in front and a Michelin Desert Race in back. The back lasted about 3k miles. The front maybe 5k miles. They work well in mud and rocks and are better on tar than the MT21's were. But they are just as noisy after about half its life. I am pretty sure it is the rear that is so loud. I am going to try another T63 in front married to a Mefo Super Explorer in back. Mefo rear was terrific on my KTM twin but the front was terrible in the mud. They went 7200 miles though, so they last a long time. Very quiet like a street tire. It is considered a 50/50 tube tire.
    Wansfel likes this.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had terrible luck with MT-21's on my 640 for rock riding. They are way too soft for rocks. I got a ton of front pinch flats and the rears may as well have been made of smoke. The fronts also wore crazy from all the hard braking I did on rocky surfaces. They always did OK on my lighter bikes. But they sucked on my 640. The longest a rear went was 800 miles and maybe twice that for a front. The front on my 525 is already wearing crazy after only two rides on rock.

So I am not a MT-21 fan for heavy and/or powerful bikes. The magic front tire for rock riding on my 640 was Motoz HT. I went from a pinch flat almost every ride with MT-21's to zero flats. I hated them on my much lighter 525 because they are heavy and made it steer like a truck. But the 640 is already heavy and steered like a truck. So the trade off on flat prevention was worth it. If you ride rocks the MotoZ HT's are good at keeping air in your tire and wear like iron.

I put about 500 miles on a MotoZ Mountain Hybrid on my 525 this fall - a lot of it in wet, sloppy, rocks. I still don't know what to think. On rock they are like cheating and still somehow manage to grip well enough in sticky mud. Where they leave me cold is grip on loose stuff. I had a hell of a time on a steep trail of loose rock and sand. Then tried another bike on D606's and it walked right up. So it was definitely the tire. Still on the fence about the Mountain Hybrid.

I am probably going back to Pirelli XCMH mainly just because they work and don't cost much. I also like the Michelin Desert tires but they are too expensive for the way these bikes eat tires.
  19. K6BRY

K6BRY KTM 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    I get a speed wobble around 60 to 70 mph on my 690 on factory tires. Is it the factory tires thats doing that? Would any of these mentioned 50/50 tires have that wobble also?
  20. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer: