KTM 690 Enduro tire recommendations?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dbrum, Nov 9, 2016.

1. LazerDanger

LazerDanger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, no arrow on mine.
    GF-kam likes this.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK. I have some update to my Motoz Tractionator Adventure. Just took the front off after 3K miles. The front knobs cup like crazy at 22 - 24 psi. I have a mix of 50% pavement to get to gravel roads. Aside from cupping, horrible handling and feeling. Compounds too hard. Ruined my week of riding sections of MABDR near Bath County , VA. Couldn't wait to get them off. The front is so unevenly cupped that when I roll the bike around garage, I can feel the front hop. Nightmare on deep gravel.

I don't mind changing tires every 3-5K as long as they have proper handling and characteristics. I am back on Pirelli Rallycross MT21 in front. I'll keep the rear Motoz and see how it handles now.

IMG_4326.jpeg IMG_4327.jpeg IMG_4328.jpeg IMG_4329.jpeg

Rear is wearing evenly. However, if the handling doesn't improve with Pirelli in front, it too will be coming off and head for the boneyard. I just did a MAJOR 12K mile tune up. So I am done for while.
    IMG_4333.jpeg
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not uncommon with some tires. The Pirelli MT-21 front cups in an odd pattern, but it has no impact on handling as far as I can tell.
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same experience with my stock Pirelli Rallycross. I never had any complaints with handling or behavior with the MT21 regardless of tread wear or cupping.

Love my Wera tool kit. Thanks for introducing them while back. I managed to do almost all my 12K mile tune up with the set; less torque wrenches.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best tire I ever ran on my 690 was goldentyre gt723. Sadly, can't get them anymore.

I switched a couple years ago to rocky mountain d-sport tires. Gotta say, they're so fine I keep buying them. Not great. They do everything fine. They're dirt cheap. Easy to mount. Last long enough. No issues. For the price, I like them.

Oh yeah, and happy to hear @sprouty115 turned others onto wera tools. Amazing. I love that little kit
    ebbanflood and sprouty115 like this.
  6. Kthursto

Kthursto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That front is a disaster.
    If that was a passenger car or truck I would say your shocks are shot. I don’t understand how a tire could cup that bad?
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low tire pressure I strongly suspect. I normally keep pressure at 22 psi. Most knoby will cup in front at this pressure on tarmac.
    Kthursto likes this.
  8. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those tusk dsports ARE dirt cheap. $117 for a set of tires, wow! I'll have to try them. Thanks!

I searched and found lots of recommendations in different threads for wera tools (never heard of them before now) but didn't see a "kit" recommendation. Found a lot of wera kits on Amazon but hoping there is some preferred "mini/moto" travel kit. Which one was recommended?
    levain likes this.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like the updated version. I bought mine 5 years or so ago.
    @sprouty115 ???
    Honda Rider likes this.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good price. Worth every penny. Well designed and though out. Like if you use the 1/4" drive bit with the special holder/extension, you won't accidentally drop the bit in the engine while removing the rocker arm bolts ;-) Other stuff like the swivel extension. Everything locks so it doesn't fall down a rabbit hole. I added a Wera T handle to my kit so I can use the long extension as a T handle. The kit itself is nice in that you know you have inventory of all your parts when you're done with project.

The T handle that fits with the Wera 1/4" Drive kit. Also on Amazon for $13. The Drive on the T handle does slide up and down. Fits in kit:

https://palmac.net/wera-8789-a-zykl...BjldlFgxxtNBOU3O5pWif8jZp_5vqK64aAlWjEALw_wcB
    Honda Rider and sprouty115 like this.
  12. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New 2020 701 Enduro owner and it has TKC80s on it. They are very squirrely on gravel. I've seen similar comments in this thread and others about the TKC80s.

Lots of options here but I ride mostly country gravel roads and forest roads.

I've had good luck in the past with d606 on my xrr. From reading this thread, it looks like the tusk dsport and mt21s are similar to the dunlops. I could always go d606 on the front but I'd love a matching tire on the rear in the 140/80-18 size.

For those of you that ride a lot of gravel roads what is your recommendation?
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunlop 606s are noticeably better off road than the Pirelli MT 21. I've never run the Tusk DS. But looks like it would be in between. I like the 606s on heavier bikes like the 690. Cant beat a full knobby for off road. Other choices out there if pavement is more of a part of your riding....
    Honda Rider likes this.
  14. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pirelli MT21 Rallycross in front. Update.

So happy to be back on the stock Pirelli MT21 in front. As posted earlier, I switched my front back to Pirelli MT21 Rallycross. Still have the Motoz Tractionator Adventure on rear. I did a 175 miles loop. About 30 on gravel. In my opinion, huge improvement in front. I kept the front at 28 psi and rear around 26 psi. I normally ride 22 - 24 psi in both front and rear. Even at 28 psi in front, I was so impressed with front ride. The softer compound felt plush compared to previous tire. In fact, my front fork SKF travel ring was 2X higher after my ride. In other words the tires are so soft and light even at 28 psi compared to my previous setup at 20 psi that I am not using my normal fork travel. I have 6cm. vs. usual 3cm. left.

In my opinion the tire will greatly complement your steering, traction, and suspension. Big observation for me. Especially on the suspension front. Once I wear the rear tread, I'll be installing a Pirelli MT21 on rear.

IMG_4355.jpeg
    Honda Rider likes this.
  15. LazerDanger

Oddometer:
    What happened to the RallZ? Did you decide not to try them?
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I decided to immediately go back to the Pirelli MT21 Rallycross for couple of reasons. At the time I installed the Motoz, I had my front forks serviced for seals. When I got the forks back on with Motoz, the shocks felt harsh. I couldn't get them to feel soft and plush like with the stock MT21 before I serviced my forks. So, now I have definite proof that issues wasn't with the forks or settings.
  17. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm Tusk DSport fan here. Almost 900 miles of mixed road and trail driving. Very little wear.
    LiquidSA likes this.
  18. LazerDanger

Oddometer:
    If I lived closer to you I'd happily buy the RallZ. I really liked that tire, but it is a harsh ride. The MT21 made it 1200 miles for me, and that's wet spring weather, I expect full on summer it'd be a lot less. It was a really good tire, though. I'm going to give the MotoZ Enduro IT a try next.
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt the Motoz tread, compound, bias, and other attributes is more of a long mileage tire. Good for those long trips with good mix of tarmac. I just have a lowered suspension which makes my suspension stiff.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip. 1,500 miles of pavement. I currently have Pirelli MT21 Rallycross on front and Motoz Tractionator Adventure in rear. My concern is switching the current 21" MT21 to something more roadworthy. Something in the 60 road / 40 off-road on even 70/30. Spur of moment thing. I'll keep the Motoz in rea since it looks like it could go another 5K; already has at least 4K on it. Cannot kill the tire. So any suggestion for front?