KTM 690 Enduro tire recommendations?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dbrum, Nov 9, 2016.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sure, but the 690 lays down alot of power for it's weight. If a E07 is always breaking traction even with moderate throttle then not ideal when the going gets rough.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the 140 size and don’t thinkI ever had outright spinning under acceleration on pavement. But I ride pretty easy. TheMitas uses a hard compound. That’s how it and other tires in this category get relatively high mileage with a fairly open tread pattern. I never felt that the Mitas rear was a handicap in the twisties But I’m not exactly a knee dragger. FWIW
    eakins and Bitingdog like this.
  3. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Well let’s see. 70ish HP in a 320 pound wannabe dirt bike. Wheel spin in the dirt seems like a real possibility, with any tire!
    eakins, Stephen and Anders- like this.
  4. Eresia

Eresia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I read good stuff on the E07, expecially the dakar variants... Guess i'll think about give them a try before trying to source more "exotic" solutions

As for Italy situation, right now is finger crossed and wait for the vaccine, right now in my area movement outside the cities of residence is restricted, so the beast can only do short rides ;)

I also heard good stuff about the shinko's 244 aka goldenboy and the goldentyre but they seems even harder to get by then the motoz...
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire size questions.

So for my front 90/90-21 size tires can I use either a 90/100-21 tube or 80/100-21 size tube? I see most dealer website show the 80/100-21 tube size.

I wish there was a easier way or website to remember all these tube size nomenclature.
  6. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Some brands, like Shinko, will offer a 90/90/21 also. If the 90/100 is the Fatty. Guess the 90/90 is the Chubby. I like the Chubby on the 690 as it is 1/2' or so shorter. The extra width of the 90 worked well for me on the 690. If you are really using the bike seriously off road, the 80 width might be a better choice for quick turning/single track responsiveness. But sand riders will like the 90 width. None of these differences are that pronounced. So probably not an absolutely wrong or right choice.

Just reread and realized you are asking about tubes. Any 21' tube will work in any of these 21' tire sizes. FWIW
    Bitingdog and GF-kam like this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way above my pay grade. But, good to now. I see a lot of websites show compatibility with either the 90/100-21 or 80/100-21 tube size for front wheel size. Thanks.
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    When I buy a 21" tube, it's usually (faintly) stamped with all of the various sizes. Tubes stretch and there's not massive size differences between those tire sizes. As long as you aren't way over-sized, you should be ok.
    GF-kam likes this.
  9. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still Googling. Anyone know the wheel width size for front and rear. I don't see it in Owner's Manual. I need to write this number down somewhere.
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    1.85" front, 2.5" rear
    GF-kam likes this.
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I look at buying tubes online, I see the number 2.75 / 3.0 associated ( stamped ) with front tire and 5.50/6.0 with the rear. I just assumed that was a width number.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    It is, but it's for the tire, not the wheel. You'd have to look up the conversion for that tire sizing.
    GF-kam likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about dirt traction & not just gravel grinding, but rougher trails at times.

Will a rear E07 spin (vs hook up) too easily that you end up having to constantly be thinking about it. It spins so often, it affects your enjoyment to ride as the rear is always flopping around back there.

I'm not talking about full throttle breaking traction, which any tire could, but breaking loose even with lower to medium throttle.

Just my concern with that high mileage hard rubber tire in this application?
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes probably.

I've been extremely happy with Bridgestone heavy duty 3mm thick tubes. Easy to mount, natural rubber, resist pinch flats when installing & during use, lasts forever, quality made in Japan, no stem failure issues, years of dual sport use by many with no issues.

I've run multiple BDR with them in other bikes plus goobles of paved miles.

They have a 21" front tube and then you use the 110-18 rear size. Guys at BS say they work well all the way to 150 rears, they have Africa Twins.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/bridgestone-heavy-duty-motorcycle-tube-p

Bridgestone has ultra HD ones at 4mm thick but that is really only for low pressure woods bikes. Too thick for dual sport.
  15. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Geez, give it a rest.
    Less time at the computer and more on the bike!
    eakins and renogeorge like this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to order a rear Motoz Tractionator Adventure to pair with my front one. I still have some tread life on my Mitas E07. Keep you posted on how that compares to my original MT21 and Mitas E07. After that I have set of Motoz RallZ to try out. I expect both tires to last many more thousands miles.

One thing I've noticed is that compared to the Mitas E07 front, the Motoz Tractionator Adventure has so much more solid rubber between the gravel and road. So the tire doesn't seem to mold around the gravel. Trying to think of a good analogy. Kind of like a thick leather soccer ball on gravel vs. a volleyball. This might explain the slightly more harshness I feel with the Motoz front tire.
    Eresia and eakins like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Snow on the ground here dude... it's suppose to snow 5 feet this weekend.

I get around otherwise. 5 moto tours this past Covid year, 2 trips to Mexico & 1 to the Keys too. Heading to DC in 2 days.

Just trying to vet some new tires....

Often my world looks like this this time of year in Colorado. Let's see yours!

20201025_173617.jpg
    NSFW, bikerjim2000, sharpie1 and 2 others like this.
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be the ADV photo of the year award. Nice ! I am humbled.
    eakins likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :-) thanks

It actually got worse after that.
    Heading up to Eisenhower tunnel and a semi jackknifed in front of us.

That's my buddy Juan from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico...he had alot of WTF moments on that trip.
    We were heading to do the CABDR this past fall.
    I wore out these tires on that one. Time to go back!
    GF-kam likes this.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update: My rear Motoz Trac. Adventure finally showed up. So I spent the day removing my Mitas E07 and mounting the Motoz. Even with my Rabaconda tire changer, took a little time. The carcas is very stiff. Also the tire comes so packed, the opening is barely open more than a 1" or 2" ( bead to bead ). I put some air in my heavy duty IRC tube and stuffed it into tire first like a moose. Then I used the Rabaconda to mount. I just have to be careful I don't snap the metal valve stem. Seems to balance well. I've only need 35 grams of wheel weight.

Probably best mounting this tire after leaving tire out in hot summer day to get it soft. Will keep you posted once I get some mileage on it.

14.5mm. rear treat depth and about 13mm. on front wheel.

IMG_3740 2.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg IMG_3778.jpeg