KTM 690 Fuel tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dandini, Sep 25, 2008.

1. dandini

dandini Dan

Oddometer:
    http://www.rvaqualine.com.au/page.php?sId=12

Got a quick reply back from them yesterday - excellent news!

"Yes we are making a larger tank for the 690 but we only just got a bike here
    yesterday to start work on so I do not yet have a lot of information I can
    give you. If you want to get in touch with us again in a few weeks I should
    be able to give you a bit of an idea on what size the tank will be and when
    it will be available"
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    a) which 690?
    b) If for the Enduro, it going to be like the 690 Baja tank where it completely replaces the underseat tank? Or more like what was done for the Xchallenge where it's a secondary tank.

I heard there were some reasons why the race Baja tank wouldn't work on the Enduro, airbox or something but I forget.

Of course I'm sure what they'll end up making will be another 30l special, just like for the SE ;-)
  3. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:

Yes that is good news...:clap
  4. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If at all possible , please consider locating the fuel filler in another location . PITA , where it is if you have a tail pack or rear rack.
  5. dandini

dandini Dan

Oddometer:
    690 Enduro. It will have to be a secondary tank I guess - there's a lot of high tech involved with the main tank - and I wouldn't want to buy a non- OEM version of that in any case...X Challenge type gets my vote, but I don;t know any more than you. Will post back when I get news.
  6. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have read reports that KTM is working on a 4.8 gal baja-style tank.
  7. dandini

dandini Dan

Oddometer:
  8. Ferrisian

Ferrisian Blast if I have to...

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest from R & V Aqualine;

"The tank for the 690 Enduro is well underway, it will be around 16 litres and available in February 2009."
  9. dandini

dandini Dan

Oddometer:
    Is that an auxillary/saddle tank?
  10. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    You'd have to guess that it would be auxiliary wouldn't you? 16+12=28 - that's about what an adventurer would want. Seems like alot of trouble to go to to only increase capacity by 4 litres. I am guessing on the front like the beemer. Hope so anyway. Time will tell.
  11. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    The fuel range is the thing that has been hanging me up about this bike.
    Depending on the price, design, it may be a good option. I have a feeling they may go with the similar design as the
    950SE

[​IMG]

Has anyone checked with Clark or IMS?

(Sent of emails this morning, will update once a response is received)
  12. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Reply from Clarke Manufacturing <sales@clarkemfg.com></sales@clarkemfg.com>

13. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Reply from IMS Products <info@imsproducts.com>

14. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    I seem to be a barer of bad news.
    Sorry about that.

Now, since both seem to say the same thing.
    I'm inclined to ask, 'What would it take to get either of them to produce a tank for the 690?'

Mass e-mail , letter writing, phone calls campaign?
  15. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    I suspect for a company like Clarke or IMS to make a tank they have to justify their design, fabrication, and production costs. All they would have to do is to look at the quantity of 690's being produced and figure that some percentage of those owners would buy a tank. I suspect the overall number of 690's produced it pretty low...thus the cost of each tank for them would be very high resulting in a high expense for us the customers. When they make a tank for a DRZ 400 it also fits a Kawasaki 400...there are a ton of those bikes out there...etc.

Also factor in that the 690 is a complex machine when compared to a carburated bike with a gravity feed gas line. Attempting to make a high quality rear tank for a low production numbers bike is not an inviting prospect for a volume manufacturer. I suspect if you rounded up 100 - 500 690 owners who each paid a $300 deposit you might get them to proceed.
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chicken/egg. Want to see what they produce before putting down a deposit.

Did Acerbis make the stock 690e tank for KTM? Wonder if they'll produce something.
  17. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Seth S:
    I can see your point, yet can't hurt to ask......

So, I did in an email to both companies as well as cc'ing KTMUSA.

We'll see what they have to say, if anything at all.
  18. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    On a side note as an example....but for a slightly different object....a group of 10 of us Saab 99/900 owners got together about a year ago and had a place in England called "Gripper" build us Limited Slip Differentials. These units were clutch pack LSD's with both gravel and tarmac setting and some were set to be used in both 4 and 5 speed Saab transmissions. The whole deal took about 6 months to complete and we each paid about $1000 total which included the diff + Shipping + import fees. This was quite a deal considering the only other unit available costs about $2000 from Sweden.

Point being that there may be a smaller fabricator out there who has the capability to make a batch of semi custom tanks at a reasonable price given enough interest.
  19. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to be pedantic but it's not exactly the same example.

Selecting a fabricator and working with them on a design implies a degree of fabricator/purchasing-group collaboration.

I don't see that in the earlier IMS example. There you're just agreeing to be a customer of whatever IMS decides to produce. Maybe they'll show you a prototype but it's not the same kind of collaboration. My guess is that IMS has their own distinct ideas and these will be paramount throught their design.

Of course a group of 200 AdvRider inmates might be hard to coallesce iinto a coherant design, so maybe it's easier to just "trust" IMS :evil

Myself -- I'd not -- as my IMS tank for my EXC doesn't work with the factory radiator fan, a really unfortunate oversight IMO. One the mould is made and production has begun, it's hard to fix such oversights.
  20. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    agreed. I was just trying to say that the custom route may work out better for this bike unless a big company steps up and wows us all. Or we can wait to see what KTM comes up with.