KTM 690 Fuel tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dandini, Sep 25, 2008.

1. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    We got 270 Miles out of this set up with a bit still left in the tanks. A combo Off-road ,backroads and freeway on a brand new bike less then 500 miles. :clap

Attached Files:

2. zmotomann

Oddometer:
    The other side!!!!

Attached Files:

3. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bad. How much was all the work, moving the exhaust and adding the tank. etc? $2500?

4. Komara

Komara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put a little better than 400 miles on the bike with the new systems on over the weekend. I love it! Frank from ZMW Adventures developed the new right side header pipe, the custom Skid Plate and the rear support bars that support the exhaust system and add needed support to the tail. He also developed a slick special billet aluminum plate that fits outside below the fuel pump for connecting the fuel cell to the main tank. The complete kit cost around $2,750 including the Meca Systems 7L (1.85 gal) fuel cell, the IXIL silencer and all fittings, hardware etc. The 5 gal total cap. is perfect imho and the weight distribution works extremely well.

The Lynx Fairing from Britannia Composites is also the perfect addition. Not that you'd want to spend hours at 80 mph but wind as no problem even at that speed.

Very pleased with the result :clap:clap
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you are saying you have 5 gal total so you got 54 mpg out of your bike if you ran it to fumes?
    I think that is a new record!!!!

:bow
  6. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the same setup on my 2015 690 and got 305 miles on one tank yesterday (fairly easy going and all tarmac) and the low fuel light did not come on - took 18.3 litres to fill so I reckon that means the range could be as much as 425 miles !
  7. zmotomann

Oddometer:
    I found this link below poking around for 690e mpg avg. lines up with what I have been getting.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/ktm/690_enduro

My goal was to get 250 miles out if it avg riding. I believe the fairing helps quite a bit with less drag for more mpg. As you can see the exhaust is pretty free flowing also and it runs cooler too. I will do a complete write up in it with all the specs etc.
    IMO THE 690e is the best do all adventure bike for real off road light weight back packer mentality type adventure riding.

I run wolfman E-12 bags, the small wm exp tank bag and when camping a 25l waterproof role bag that's over 50 l of space. I am well kitted and very cozy at night. And the 690 is still a blast to ride and it loves Sand!!!!:)

Can't wait for Baja this winter:)!!
  8. Reddydr

Reddydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did any one try out Aluminum tank from HotRodwelding which can be Modified to be fixed on to Rear luggage racks with capacity of 9.5 litres XL tank
    hidsrtktm likes this.
  9. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the X Tank on my old X Challenge. It worked great, was relatively inexpensive (compared to $2,700) and added lots of fuel range without messing up the handling of the bike. It went on the side of the bike opposite of the exhaust, so no re routing of the pipe. Why hasn't someone come up with a similar fix for the 690. I've been looking at all the different options. I think unless there's a simple X Tank type add on, I'll just go with rotopax. I think it'd be easier to take off a rotopax and dump it in the main tank, than to take off the seat and fill from there.. Just my opinion, and I'm a total noob with my, new to me 09 690R. Must not be room for an X Tank type solution. All I would need is a 200 mile range. I totally understand the extra range needed for those of you headed to really remote areas.
    hidsrtktm likes this.
  10. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    mrwwwhite likes this.
  11. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just looked back on my fuel usage - on one trip I managed 414 miles between fuel stops - bike took 25.5 litres to fill up so I reckon I had about a litre left !
  12. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tumbleweedadv.com makes the Gila tank which adds two gallons and looks to be relatively easy to install. It does not require moving the muffler, and the rack-based design adds strength and weight capacity. Haven't seen many reviews however ...
  13. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I am using this one - extra 5,5 liters... Not adding extra size to the bike...

[​IMG]

I have kicked out the airbox and inserted the tank and foam filter... K&N is an option too... Remaping no needed...

[​IMG]

cheers :-)
    ztrab likes this.
  14. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I need one of these tanks. Already removed the airbox, installed K and N and remapped. Very happy with performance. Still looking for a little more range with fuel placed in a way that doesn't hurt handling. Think I will move battery back to stock location, go to LiPo and get the tank.....hmmmm
  15. zmotomann

Oddometer:
    5 gal total with this setup !!!
    Works very well!!! Clean and easy filling.

Attached Files:

16. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:

I've been using this for about 4 years, 1.3 gallons, fuel is pulled into the main tank via the filler neck vent, simple.
  17. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm missing something. What's the downside with using this tank? Is it too small? Seems like the best solution. You don't have to take off the seat to fill it. You don't have to reroute the exhaust.. What's wrong here? I haven't seen this used.

I see one problem. It's not compatible with the KTM rear racks.
  18. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a problem, but the big deterrent for me was that it was going to add even more rear end weight to an already ass heavy bike. You have to use their tail rack as the upper mounting point and while I'm sure it's up to the task at hand, it's not my favorite designed rack. The Rade airbox tank and Perun tail rack that I have now ended up costing about the same as the RRP rear tank setup... except RRP does not include the fuel pump adapter so add ~$85 for that.

My setup holds a little more fuel, shifts the weight bias forward (getting closer to a "normal" bike), doesn't add any bulk (though hitting my heel on the lower RRP tank mount/footpeg would likely be my only gripe with bulk, no different than just running passenger pegs) and has a stouter rack.

The RRP would be more convenient at the gas station (no need to remove seat) and you would not have to get rid of the airbox.

Those are just some of the pros/cons I could think of, but I'd say they are both good options. If I ever decided that I needed even more range (unlikely) I'd probably consider adding the RRP rear tank along with my Rade tank as opposed to installing a pair of front tanks.
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Thx. I need to read more about the Rade air box tank. I'm not a super skill mechanic. How difficult is the install?
  20. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Install is very straight forward, having your stock fuel tank as close to empty as possible beforehand is a big help... wait till the fuel light comes on and go another 20 miles, or circle the block till she quits (not recommended!) You can leave the stock tank in place and just remove the lower mud flap to access the 4 bolts that retain the fuel pump housing. It's all just nuts and bolts!

Here's Rade's vendor thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-auxiliary-fuel-tank.974582/

and his website: http://www.radegarage.com/2014-07-07/ktm-690-auxilliary-tank/
    MizzouRider likes this.