KTM 690 Fuel tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dandini, Sep 25, 2008.

1. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that. I thought it would be a hassle to fill it, which it is.. But, I too like the idea of not really changing up the basic looks of the bike. I wouldn't need it all the time, but when I do, it's there. Hmmm, might be the solution I'm looking for, plus I don't have to have exceptional wrenching skills to do the install.
    Thanks
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presumably there is some negative effect of removing the airbox though. I doubt it's there for purely noise control reasons. Otherwise apart for the hassle filling up, it looks a great solution.
  3. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how long these have been out. I'm going to watch for a review after a trip or two. I tried today to take the seat off, with my tank bag and tail bag in place. Pretty easy actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear from someone with a '14/15 that stock mapping works as good as with stock airbox. Anyone?
  5. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Assuming you are talking about with the Rade tank? Me too. Without being able to play with the maping, I'm wondering how it works as well.
  6. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of ways to plumb from either a horizontal or vertical mounted RotoPax 1 or 1.75 gallon container into either the main tank via the vent hose inlet or via the RallyRaid fuel pump adapter. My thought is to drain the main tank till the fill light comes on then to open a valve which would access the RotoPax. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. I had a Safari tank on my '08 690 and although it was great for range, it totally changed the bike. I'd rather place a small load on the luggage than a large load on the front of the bike. I've seen the Raid options and the Rally Raid adjunct tank but already have luggage racks which could mount the RotoPax.

Time to bring this thread back.....:D
  7. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)

This route is much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  8. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    You have definite points for inventiveness. I like the lower profile of the RotoPax and don't expect to need much more than a gallon with the newer mileage that the 15's offer. Does your auxiliary tank drain first or do you wait for your light to activate it.
  9. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Acerbis auxiliary tank holds 1.6 gallons. Mounts with four threaded inserts embedded in the bottom. Comes with its own petcock. Costs about $99.

[​IMG]

Mine is plumbed directly from the petcock to the breather barbed fitting on the CJ Designs filler neck which I installed to replace the over-engineered stock neck/cap:

[​IMG]

So the cap for the main tank is air tight. The two tanks act as one. The bike simply vents through the vent in the cap of the auxiliary tank. So the auxiliary tank drains first (after about the first 100 miles, given my usual 60-ish MPG), leaving very little weight on the rack when I get to any rough terrain to ride.

I start looking for gas at about 240 miles on the trip B meter, at which point the low fuel light has not yet come on. At fillup, I:

1. Remove both caps
    2. Fill the main tank
    3. Replace its cap
    4. Fill the auxiliary tank
    5. Replace its cap
    6. Push the Set button to reset the trip B meter to zero
    No futzing about with valves at all.

Before buying the 690, I had first done the same setup with the Acerbis auxiliary tank on my 990 SMT, even though its main tank is in the conventional location in front of the seat. The 990's stock cap breather was routed all the way back to a filter canister under the rear tail piece. I connected the auxiliary tank's line to the main tank's breather hose back there, with a quick disconnect fitting. It has worked so well, that I had already decided to do the same to the 690 before I bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JET
  10. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    That pretty much how all the aux tanks work on the BMW G650 x bikes. I'm running one now on the xCountry.

Some have had problems always getting the main tank to suck through fuel, but that's usually only when the seals in the main tank gas tap start to fail. That wouldn't be a problem on the KTM due to it's position.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might be the easiest solution. Easy to take for occasional extended trips. I'd take it off though when not on a long trip. When I got the 690 I thought there'd be lots of tank options, and there are, but none as easy as the X Tank, for the XChallenge.
    I may end up just adding rotopax, but they are a pain when you've got bags over them. I've got rear racks, and would prefer to keep keep them. Putting bags on the outside of rotopax would make the bike pretty wide, in my opinion.
    Thanks for posting Jet

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try the kriega system. It's 4 30l bags or three bags and a rotopax. Expensive but it looks good.
  13. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually considered that, too, when I fitted the first one to the 990 (thus the quick-connect fitting). It would be a simple matter of bolting an intermediate aluminum plate to the tank, and then fixing that to the rack with screw knobs, to allow quick removal / reinstallation without tools. But I soon found I had no reason to take it off.

I hate having to go to the gas station every other day. ;-)

JET
  14. JH4thgen

JH4thgen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing a fuel bladder someone had bought and used for extra range anyone remember the name or who made it?
  15. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Some searching resulted in several Adv threads and a good TT thread on fuel bladders. Consensus was that the heavy duty black MSR dromedary bags are not certified for fuel but used successfully. Also some mention of using Platypus canteens. During that search, I turned up a nice resource on plastic tanks that are used for smaller engines like lawnmowers. A 1 gallon tank is not expensive and looks like it could be fitted in several spots on the bike.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=104078&catid=578

You can look at an assortment of tanks in various sizes: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=104163&catid=0&clickid=popcorn

I'm now considering not bothering with the RotoPax. These are CARB certified.

Even more options when I searched for lawnmower gas tanks. There's huge selection of sizes and shapes available at prices that are not so spendy. By Jove, I think this should be relatively easy to do....I always thought my chain saw sounded like my 2-stroke moto....

https://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctwp~getitemclass~1001~1003~1~minor~00020~00165~Any

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a21c16/Lawn-Mower-Tank-Container-Parts
    Phi1osopher and JH4thgen like this.
  16. JH4thgen

JH4thgen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If our fuel cap wasn't right were it is I would already order a rotopax. But as aggressive as I ride and finding mounting options I like I am still undecided. A good bladder under $100 would help.
  17. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
  20. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not getting around so well these days, so this was my last bit of "progress":

[​IMG]

The electrical tape is just what I had in arms reach to hold the excess seat cover material out of the way so I could see what I was working with. I think I'll end up cutting the slot a little more "V" shaped (still rounded at the rear, just angled out more towards the front) as opposed to the above "U" shape, hopefully ending up a little closer to this:

[​IMG]

Still haven't figured out a clean way to hold the seat down, but I'm not opposed to bolting through the sides. I found some taller/flanged fillers that look to use the small Acerbis cap (female threads, same as most of us are using on the rear now) on evilbay, but that would really just be for cosmetics since the standard male threaded cap (plug) on the Rade tank is accesible with the 3" hole I cut out of the seat.