ktm 690 overheating

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by casteater, Jul 28, 2012.

1. casteater

casteater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't keep my ktm 690 endure r from overheating, I have exhaust on the way as well as the new fan switch. I just removed the thermostat and I was wondering if anybody else has done this before and if it helps or hurts. I am open to anything else to keep it from over heating if there are any other proven methods. Thanks
  2. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did some very technical riding in warm temps, 20 deg Celcius, and found the fan came on a lot. The bike has never boiled over but my concern is what happens in hot weather. So, I bought a lower temp sensor, turns fan on sooner, and will be replacing the coolant with Engine Ice. I presume this will keep the temps down.

Garrett
  3. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    I had an 08. IMO the 690 is not a great tight single track bike, too much motor and heat. I never had any issues other than tight, slow single track though.
  4. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    What makes you think it overheats ???

You can laways use this. http://www.engineice.com/ It's propylene Glycol. Compatible with water (in case of emergency) but not compatible with ethylene glycol coolant (Prestone). You will need to flush you cooling circuitry. But otherwise, it will lower your temperature by around 50 degrees F.

In extreme cases, you can also use waterless propylene glycol : http://www.evanscooling.com/ You will not be able to mis it with water in case of emergency.

Paul Jr
  5. yowcapt

yowcapt Roaming earth...

Oddometer:
  6. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue. Here’s how I fixed it:

Flush the coolant
    Add Engine Ice
    Swap out the fan switch for a 1993 Geo Metro LSi fan switch. It is PN TFS596 at Advance Auto. This drops the fan on temp from 102C to 93-98C and eliminated my overheating situation.
    Dao1 likes this.