KTM 690 rocker arm bearing replacement and valve clearance adjustment

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DeltaSierra, Jul 30, 2018.

1. DeltaSierra

DeltaSierra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahoy all, just thought I'd drop this video in here in case it's of use to anyone.
    The exhaust side rocker arm bearing went on my new-to-me 2013 690 Duke at 17,500km (I know I know, it's not technically an adventure bike but for the purposes of this exercise the differences to the Enduro are very minor). All pretty straight forward to replace really but I though someone out there might get some value out of me filming my awkward self performing the surgery.
    It took me a little bit of stuffing around to diagnose the issue initially, I had only bought the bike that week and was visiting a mate in Auckland to show off my new orange pride and joy when she just wouldn't start again. Bloody typical.
    Went through all the electrics, replaced the battery and pulled apart the starter all to no avail before deciding that maybe it was the auto decompression not working (well I was sort of right), apparently the little return spring can sometimes fail. Pulled the rocker cover off and what do you know, the exhaust side rocker arm was looser than a wizard's sleeve in downtown Bangkok. From what I hear anyway.
    Exhaust valve not opening = compression = noise and go-go makey thing no turny = sad KTM owner.