KTM 690 Supermono race bike build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Bluetonguejak, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    A coupla years ago I thought it would be fun to race in the newly revived local Supermono series and the BEARS (British, European, American Racing and Supporters) series here in Victoria Australia.
    I had been racing my Husaberg FE570 in Supermotard, but it is a bit ‘lazy’ for full-circuit Racing and it doubles as my Rally race bike so I didn’t want to modify it too much.

In the BEARS Formula 5 there is a mix of Ducatis(up to 904cc) KTM Duke690/SMC690/RC390, Aprillia RS250/SXV450 and KTM/Husky 450 Supermoto bikes.
    The local state Supermono is mostly Supermotard 450’s.

I converted my old commuter ‘09 Duke690 (654cc) into a ‘race bike’ to get me out racing, but as a ‘big’ bloke, I really need to have a faired bike to reduce drag, especially on long tracks like Phillip Island.

Inspiration to build a ‘proper’ Supermono bike came from the following;

E412C9BF-44A4-4421-AB64-31BCBC96BC83.jpeg
    7AB9D033-333E-40FE-A818-4015E5153E60.jpeg
    A18FEFAD-2CA7-4031-86C0-A71FC24C3072.jpeg

So, like most projects I started with lots of enthusiasm and bough a stolen and recovered (a real piece of shit!) ‘13 Duke 690 as the donor bike.
    Sneeze Juice, mrsdnf, oic and 7 others like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Oh yeah! Fuck Yeah!
    villageidiot, AK650 and jamracing like this.
  3. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    KTM fan here..690 might be my next KTM...IN...

[​IMG]
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  4. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Didn't take any photos of the POS donor bike when i first got it as it was damaged and had been spray-painted various colours.

Threw it up on the bike bench and stripped it down to the basics to see what i was dealing with.

IMG_1106.jpg

After a good look, i formulated a bit of a scope for the project, being mindful that the budget was not unlimited

The basic idea was to make it as light as possible without going exotic or using unobtainable materials - basically remove all necessary bits and replace heavy stuff with better design/lighter materials;

Remove Sidestand (prohibited on race bikes.) and fit dongle for switch.
    Remove emissions hoses/cannister, etc.
    Remove all lights, indicators etc. and non-critical wiring from the loom (more to make it tidy than weight saving)
    Remove ABS Unit - This is where i want to mount a (lithium) battery (Just like on the 654.)
    Replace Cast Aluminium subframe - Fabricate a minimalistic ChroMo subframe to support race seat/tail unit and exhaust bracket.
    Replace Standard Airbox - Remove airbox and fit a pod filter, but use standard velocity stack.
    Replace Low footpegs - Fit racing rearsets
    Replace standard handlebars with clip-ons.
    Replace standard fuel tank with DIY aluminium fuel cell to accommodate clip-ons - about 8-10 litres for long races.

Other stuff in the scope to make it more race-worthy;

Replace non-adjustable suspension with the adjustable (standard) suspension from my 654
    Fit rally cam - needed for the top-end rev range
    Utilize POS race pipe/muffler that was on bike (already de-cat), but remove/redesign db killer (some tracks are really strict on noise limits)
    Make and/or rework a suitable race fairing, tank cover and seat/tail - Had no real direction, but as much as i like the Mototech and Kramer bikes, i wanted to use something as standard as possible and cost-effective to replace/reproduce.
    Fit PCV to get fuelling correct (especially AFR's) and best map for max hp/torque on dyno
    Fit Speed angle lap timer

First step was to strip the bike to the frame for a clean/paint and replace headstock/swing-arm bearings as necessary.

IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    mrsdnf, Old Smokey, oic and 5 others like this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Soooooo subscribed. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort with the pics and wordage..much appreciated.
  6. jamracing

jamracing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm digging the urban camo paint
    For the bodywork, I'm wondering if you can fit older 250 2 stroke twin skins on it.
    I've been wanting to build a bonkers street mono for years, might need to start looking now
    Bluetonguejak and Fast Idle like this.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I had early TZ250 bodywork on a four stroke Kawasaki EX500 race bike. I'll dig out pics.
  8. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    this looks like its gonna be good!

:lurk
    Fast Idle and AK650 like this.
  9. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Most of the build will be in retrospect, as i started the project, got injured, lost interest then restarted.

Digging-up old photos from various devices is a bit tricky as i had't intended to do a build thread, but i enjoy reading others, so i will do what i can to add as much content as i can and try and keep it interesting.

The original plan was to strip the paint off the frame, make necessary modifications (Fairing/belly pan mount points, etc.) prime and paint (hadn't worked-out a colour scheme yet), but once i started removing the ghetto paint, the original orange wasn't in bad condition and thought fuck it, that'll do for revision #1.

Please excuse the fuzzy pictures, old phone camera was shagged - picture quality will improve with those from new phone.

IMG_1275.JPG

Welded-on a minimalistic mounting plate on the head stem without really knowing what or how i would be mounting fairing.

IMG_1278.JPG
    Made a dolly and whacked-in a few new steering head bearings

IMG_1279.JPG
    Fast Idle and AK650 like this.
  10. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Post the pictures up mate, would love to see them.
  11. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    The Duke is quite a high bike and has long legs - most of the smaller bike fairings are way too short for this build.

Will get to the fairing choice process soon when i find some photos.:evil
  12. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Thanks for popping-in.

i followed your last build and really enjoyed your thread.:thumb
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    I initially looked for RC8 race fairings, but they were very hard to find or crazy expensive from O/S - none available here in Oz unfortunately, not enough demand.

The RC390 fairings and bodywork are way too small and most of the race fairings i looked at were made of ABS and not race-glass.

You did a great job of mounting those fairings, no easy feat when the bike's not designed for them.:beer
    Fast Idle, AK650 and DiggerD like this.
  14. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I cheated on this fairing. It was made for this 08 SuperDuke 990. Found it on E~Bay for $150USD. It's the only one like this that I have seen. Hot Bodies, CA. Race glass.
    Never mounted, fit was poor with belly pan dragging in corners. My fix, jig saw to belly pan. It's a street bike to me, no reason for belly pan to catch oil for track use. Tricky part in mounting was fitting the stock head light and fabing a bracket that holds the fairing in place along with the headlight.
    I used aluminum sheet that I bent, cut & pop rivited. Very solid mount.
    I know this bike well, replacing the frame with new. Sourcing parts far and wide. Fun bike and project. Logged 30,000 miles. A 08 SD 990R came up in the 'hood, so lusting over the "R" model for years,,,had to have the R so, this one will be up for graps in the spring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Cleaned-up the swing-arm/shock link and re-greased bearings.

IMG_1282.JPG

Measured the adjustable forks on the 654 to see what clip-ons were available - of course they were an odd diameter and hard to find.

Ended-up finding some after-market Buell clip-ons that would do the job,

IMG_1277.JPG
    mrsdnf and AK650 like this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Looking good.
    AK650 likes this.
  17. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
  18. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    I did look at the Ducati fairings, but I needed to be sure they were gunna fit- found a local bloke (Absolute Tweaker:nod) who made race fairings from his shed and had molds for a few common bikes and could leave them a bit longer to give me something to play with.

Might be interested in 999 fairings for my next (already started) project - 790 Duke for Formula 3 BEARS.:thumb
  19. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Before I took the 654 commuter to the track to get ready to go racing, I bought a blown-up 654 Duke race bike from one of the F5 BEARS guys to strip-off suspension, wheels (for wets) Vortex ecu and underbelly race pipe - just what I needed, another Duke!

I threw the Vortex and pipe on the commuter, and made some DIY rearsets and took it to a track day.

20171019_083655.jpg
    Old faithful

20180321_161137.jpg
    Spare parts bike (already removed adjustable suspension and fitted to project690.)

20180623_173945.jpg

There are a lot of differences between the '09/10 Dukes and the the '13 Duke, some that I was not aware of until I started pulling them apart.

690 vs 654
    ABS vs Non-ABS
    Twin spark vs single
    Different ecu's (can't use tune ecu or reflash on '13 model)
    Forks - Different length and diameter, non-adjustable vs adjustable.
    Triples - Different diameters to suit forks. Older model is beefier, has ignition barrel mount.
    Wheels - different front discs - Front Offset and mounting holes.
    Rear - different sprocket carrier.
    Frame - different to allow for fuel tanks, ignition, battery, ABS, seat, etc.

20170924_153954.jpg

DIY Rearsets for the 654
    mrsdnf, AK650, Roofchop and 1 other person like this.
  20. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Awesome rear sets!

A few hours of love went into them!:viking