KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by El Ponkin, Dec 6, 2014.

1. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Calco 88 added pics of throttle body gears and info on cheap replacement regulator/Rectifier.
    Andy
  2. james928

james928 oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer:
    Excellent work. Some of you blokes amaze me with the time, research and effort you put into these threads. Great job Andy
  3. slidefighter

slidefighter Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer:
    +1 Nice work, thanks for the effort.
  4. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Updated Fault Table H adding more info on Regulator Rectifier and also the Stator Connector.
    Andy
  5. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Updated Fault Table H adding a static test of the Regulator Rectifier and also better detail on the stator test.
    Andy
  6. incudie

incudie DVNO

Oddometer:
    El Ponkin,

Wow! What a comprehensive and extremely useful thread.

Thank you sir for taking the time to put this troubleshooting info together =D. I'm tempted to print this out and stick in my toolkit.
  7. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positive vibes suggest you Just copy it to your smart phone as a doc or pdf !

Andy
  8. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    El ponkin, youre nothing short of a 690 funk & wagnells ol mate :lol3. Although Ive gone retro & carby'd mine up, I do enjoy reading your stuff thats for sure, well done & keep it coming :clap
    outbacktm likes this.
  9. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Have followed your mod closely with interest great work mate.
    Andy
  10. Torkild73

Torkild73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2012 690 SMCR recently that started but with no response on the throttle.
    I charged the battery and checked the most "visible" connections.
    Checked the fault errors after buying a cable and used Tune ECU, but the P2119-throttle position fault didnt go away. So I bought a new APS sensor(right side of the throttle body), cause I heared about a similar problem that was solved by changing this. The pot that was on the bike come up with "normal" values when I was asjusting it, so I was starting to think that it was something else. This also because I have a friend with an identical bike and the values there was the same as on mine. But after a while after a lot of testing, remapping etc I changed it and did the throttle reset, and then the error dissapered. But then the bike didnt start, so I got a new battery and changed it. When I then pressed the start button, sparks exploded out from the right side of the bike. At first I thought the starter exploded :rofl. But that was when I saw the "hidden" earth connection on the right inside of the frame. :freaky And yes, it was very loose.:clap
    I removed the paint and got a tight connection. And after that I could start the bike and turn the throttle :D Just need a new calibration of the Aps and Tps :freaky Tomorrow I will hit the road!! :)
  11. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
  12. sergeuk

sergeuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I would appreciate any help with the fault I have with my 690r KTM, I have owned it for 4 years and have had this recurring issue with it, It generally shows itself after it has been running about forty minutes, It generally occurs when it is being ridden hard, under acceleration. This Sunday I was riding off road in Wales, and was about 15 miles in to the trail with the bike running lovely, I was going uphill and the throttle was fully open when then engine went sick coughing spluttering no power from the running engine, I stopped and turned the ignition off then restarted the engine, it continued to run poorly with the Fi lamp blinking, so I limped back to my trailer with no real power when the throttle was opened up and it would not idle. I loaded my bike up and noticed that the exhaust rear silencer had discolored with heat which suggests fuel starvation ?? and headed home, this week I will take it to the local KTM dealer but before I do that I was hoping someone might of experienced this before

Here is a video of the codes and the bike back at my garage.

The codes showing are
    F light
    1st set 6 short: Input signal from throttle valvesensor too low/high
    2nd set 8 short: Input signal from throttle gripsensor too low/high
    3rd set, 9 short: Input signal from pressure sensor of induction manifold too low/high
    4th set 1 x Long 4 short: Input signal from ambient air sensor

So the codes suggest TPS sensor , which could be correct but it seems odd to get four codes all in one go.

Parts replaced
    Wiring loom ( wires to fuel pump were chaffed)
    Fuel Pump ( original KTM)
    Fuel injector
    Coil
    Spark plug
    Roll over sensor
    Air box sensor
    SLS Valve
    All electrical sensors cleaned with contact cleaner

Normally the codes clear after the bike has sat a while but this time they have remained which will make diagnosis easier, here is the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_u1J3K-jBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/N_u1J3K-jBY
  13. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would also post this in the main wunderfest thread.

Do you have Tuneecu to clear down all the codes and look at the TPS info. I'm in the West Mids if your local and need Tuneecu.
    You could check the spark plug cap. The 5ohm resistor comes loose.
    Also the reg/rec can cause spurious electrical probs. Using a voltmeter to see any voltage spikes can help the diagnosis.
    Fitting an aditional earth from the coil to one of the earth points is also a good idea.
    How long has the fuel pump been in? I would replace it with a CA Cycleworks pump from John at Rally Raid.
    Does it happen more in wet conditions? There are several connectors that suffer water ingress and corrosion.

Good luck.

Nick.
  14. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    To get multiple codes I would suggest a power supply issue:

Remove battery and tray check for chafed wires under there as well as terminal connections to the bottom of relays in this area etc
    Check Regulator Rectifier and output of stator to ensure you are getting good voltage. (Checks in my guide for this if you cannot run the bike).
    If you take it to the dealer they should have access to a "Break out" test box for checking the whole loom first before jumping at changing the throttle body or ECUs. They may have to loan the test set from another dealer but it is worth waiting as your multiple FI warnings would indicate that it is not one single component but more likely power supply or power supply relay.
    Tuneecu would help identify if your TPS voltages are in spec with battery power only and then you can see the affect when trying to start it.

Good luck
    Andy
  15. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Had same problem with my 2009. Codes all over the place. I would look at the plastic gear in the throttle body. Open throttle but coughing and stalling- says open but mechanical gear stripped and you get failure codes. In 2012, KTM switched gear for a metal one. I had KTM replace the gear and she ran perfect afterwards. There's threads about this exact problem including a detailed visual of the problem.
  16. sergeuk

sergeuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, my plan of action will be

, i have ordered a tuneecu cable, to monitor the codes and clear them down, I am confident the wiring loom is routed so the battery box cannot chafe the cable for the fuel pump, the wiring loom and relay are less than 12 months old, So I will investigate the throttle body gears as that sounds quite hopeful, Thanks again for taking time to reply, you have given me hope again! Much appreciated
    I will post the outcome, if you have a link to other posts on here about the throttle body can you post the link below
  17. haus1

haus1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I have a question about repair KTM 690Enduro 2008, that indicator to flash Fi bad throttle position (9x long) and falls into safe driving mode.
    I put the bike in for service KTM where to set the correct values flaps but unfortunately did it not help.
    Step by step they were recorded another map, replaced CDI and ECU control unit, changed the whole throttle valve with gas, replaced all the sensors that are on the bike and checked the wiring installation. All original parts on the bike technically looks OK, the fault is still the same ( with new equipment ). I was recommended replacing the wiring installation, but that considering the price I'm not willing for it. Is not certainly, it is uncertain if it would help.
    Have somebody similar experience or know where could be problem or what to even look for?
    Into the safe driving mode motorcycle fall only when heated to working temperature. Off and switching on the ignition key a few km / hundred meters are working OK, but then again safe mode.
    For all the ideas and directions thanks !!
  18. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    El Ponkin, excellent work, again. I want to suggest that an additional test for the fuel pump is to make a simple pressure tester with a gauge on a piece of pipe that simply plugs into the quick disconnect next to the air box (in my case in front of an external filter). It will be downstream from the regulator, so will not directly reflect the pump's pressure output, but that's fine. I marked the output of my pump on the gauge's glass, so I don't have to remember what the previous output was. If you suspect the pump of dirty play, simply check the pressure before tearing into the pump assembly.
  19. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Updated Fault Table B - EFI – FI Light Flashes with additional NOTE re standard fuel pump failure scenario.
  20. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Updated Fault Table J –- Fuel with suggested Fuel Pump install modifications.