KTM 790 Across the Simpson Desert

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by El Fidde, Feb 14, 2020.

1. El Fidde

El Fidde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone taken their 790 across the Simpson Desert (Australia)? I'm interested in what ride modes and T/C settings you used and how the bike went in general.
    Anyone from other parts of the world done much dune riding on their 790? The biggest dune in the Simpson is about 40m (130ft) and that's on the eastern side of the desert. There are a further 1100 dunes slowly decreasing in size heading West after that... That's the kind of experience I'm interested in.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    According to Simpson desert videos I've seen on this side of the world, feel free to leave your traction control home for this trip. TC disabled is the only way to flow on top of sand.
  3. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Traction control off. Also I'd seriously consider the Scotts steering damper kit, the stock one is next to useless on sand.
  4. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:

n.b. these are also not my videos :-)
    DRglidarn, braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. El Fidde

El Fidde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TC off... roger that. Gonna get the big girl out on stockton dunes for some testing. I was gonna take my WR250R but now I have the 790 it seems like it will be a more capable machine in the sand. WR feels underpowered for the sand when I've had it on Stockton.
    TrailTrauma likes this.