1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got your plate on and are pleased with it! These are great bikes and with a few touches you can make them hard as nails.

Thanks for choosing our plate and keep posting some photos of wherever it takes you!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
  2. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KevinBB, Motor7, vgreno2000 and 4 others like this.
  3. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Any one got a link to none oem parts for the lower plastic tank protector for the 790R
    Thanks
  4. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front light mask? What is the item clipped to the bottom hatch? Is it the antenna for the key?
  5. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Outside air temperature sensor.
    ibgary likes this.
  6. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a picture of a gutted OEM exhaust, can't recall where. Does anybody have a link or reference?
  7. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No smell at all that I've noticed so far. :thumbup
    justinope likes this.
  8. Dunarin

Dunarin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all

Just fitted an Antigravity ATZ-10 Re-start, battery voltage on display fluctuating between 13 & 16v, indicators flashing rapid when v spikes.

Anyone else fitted this? Any problems?

Cheers....
  9. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    5865E90C-C437-4FA1-A2E4-5DE3B1756419.jpeg
    It was on the 790 facebook group. Way back

i have the pic but no link

037536BF-37C6-4559-B910-635C56B4218B.jpeg
    Vargubau and kzeb like this.
  10. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    It does go thru with no baffle. Only a smaller exit opening. That is what that guy did is he welded in a larger exit pipe
  11. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the cat
    [​IMG]
    Vargubau likes this.
  12. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running with my latest round of mods. Some feedback here for those interested.

Doubletake mirrors, I fitted these as insurance against damage in drops. Despite some good reviews online, I find that the visibility these afford is much less than the standard mirrors. The smaller size has some impact but the main issue is that Vibrations affect these a lot. You end up with a very, very blurred view, even on road. I'm considering putting the originals back on and keeping these in case I do end up breaking one. Regret the purchase.

Fitted the Powerparts headlight protector, again as a bit of insurance. Seems like it will act well to guard against rock strikes and barely noticeable in terms of looks. Installation is super quick.

I've got the Garmin 680 Montana mounted using the Powerparts bracket. Some folks here have had issues with the Powerparts mount vibrating but mine is rock solid, even in the rough stuff. It's wired to the always on ACC connection as the Montana takes a while to boot and I don't want to go through that every time I stop for petrol, etc.

When standing, the GPS unit blocks the top of the tft display. For me, standing straight blocks to the bottom of the gear display. With knees a bit bent I can see everything. With GPS unit off and only the cradle, this isn't an issue.

KTM heated grips finally fitted - just in time for the warm spring weather. It'll be a while before I can test in real cold weather but they seem to get plenty hot. Work fine but really don't give any advantage over third party units. If I hadn't gotten a really good price from the dealer when I bought the bike, I would have been pretty pissed to end up waiting months for these.

Based on the feedback here, I rotated the Mosko rear bag 90 degrees and took off the side panels to provide the extra mounting points to accommodate this. I prefer this setup, weight distribution feels better and if you're opening up that side of the bag, you can more easily use the seat to pile stuff on.

Decided to use a Cobrra Nemo 2 chain oiler to minimize maintenance time. Really nicely built unit and prefer the idea of foolproof manual control over the more complex systems. The swingarm design of the 790 made mounting the output tube a little hard. It shifted when mounting with just zipties. I've put an additional spacer in (a repurposed irrigation hose connector) and it's held perfectly for the last couple of rides.

Quite happy with the build now, with most of my planned mods checked off. I'm waiting for Camel ADV to get their clutch mod back in stock. I'm also keeping an eye on bash plates as they come out. Still in two minds as to whether I go for aftermarket footpegs or not.

IMG_ktm1.jpg
    IMG_ktm2.jpg
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Couldn’t disagree more on the doubletake mirrors. Mine don’t seem to vibrate at all, and they are easy to adjust. I’m using the adventure style mirrors with the longish arms (the setup that Motominded sells as a kit).

Edit: I looked at your pictures. Looks like you have the round mirrors, which I don’t think really makes a difference (have debated switching to them). But it looks like maybe you have the short arms, and you have the mirrors pointed almost straight up. Try to point them more sideways and adjusting the angle of the mirror so that you can see where you want to see.
    PomInOz_, voyer, kubcat and 1 other person like this.
  14. BruceWayne

Oddometer:
    Mine are the round ones. It's possible the larger ADV mirrors help damp vibes a bit more due to weight. I've adjusted them a bit with no discernible impact on vibes. I'll try doing so with the aim to get them more sideways like you say and see if that helps. Thanks!
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  15. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mounted the EE Skid Plate and checked some weights:

[​IMG]
    For this...

[​IMG]

And this....

[​IMG]

For This.....

[​IMG]

The install was a little tricky...not exactly plug & play, but with a little patience it went on just fine. I've since removed/replaced it and it went a lot smoother.

[​IMG]
  16. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the 680 is like the 600 be warned that the Montana is always drawing some amount of power, probably to keep the battery charged. If you let your bike sit for any length of time (weeks?) be sure to disconnect the Montana. That might not be an issue if the battery is removed.

With the battery installed I had a choice every time I turned off the ignition. I could do nothing in which case the Montana would power off in 30 seconds or hit the button on the screen to keep the Montana on, drawing power from its battery.
    Knolff and BruceWayne like this.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Great info Thank you.....man I hate adding weight hahaha....Happy to see the stocker weighs 2lbs.....The AXP comes in at 7lbs but also replaces the tank sliders....so the gain should be under 4lbs.....
    alonad and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. BruceWayne

Oddometer:
    Good point. I take the Montana off at end of day, so at most it will be connected to the battery over a lunch break, with the unit off. It's more petrol stops, 5 min drink breaks and the like I'm leaving it up and running for.

As my bikes always sit on a battery tender, I had considered just leaving it connected all the time but erred on the side of caution. I was worried that even the minimal drain might affect the tender's float charge process. Anyone have any idea if that would be the case?
  19. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how do you plan to fix flats on the trail? I don’t think a trail stand will work with a urethane skid plate? Lay the bike on its side?
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having never been inside a muffler, can someone provide an explanation of how the pipes in the upper photo fit together inside the muffler, and now with the muffler pulled apart, and a larger hole drilled, what the owner intends to do when he puts (some of it) back together? Because if this is something a DIY'er can do for a nice rumble without the fear mongering of decat'ing then it might be a great winter project while I wait for Rottweiler to finish up their race tunes etc.