KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks hubilado. I sent them an email, will let everyone know if their KTM/Husqvarna "Emergency Side Stand Sensor Bypass Dongle" will work on the 790.

Update: I received a quick response from Andrew Vanasche; a dongle for the 790 is on their list for a winter project!
    SoilSampleDave and No-Fret like this.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mpg update

PCV and auto tune... 47t rear

Desert today... 2500 feet average elevation

39 mpg

Not bad...for sandy trails .
  3. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the Tourtech reinforcement make it strong enough to use a hydraulic bike lift under the skid plate to lift it for routine maintenance?

JET
  4. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    It uses a steel plate to spread the load between 4 rubber bushings, 2 tank points and the forward frame mounts. I'd say yes.
  5. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "TrailTrauma, post: 38799146, member: 224344"]I found a voltage divider formula online. I plugged in 80 kilohms & 7 kilohms and then the source voltage of 5vdc from what Ron said. That spits out 0.402 which might be close enough.

Okay, I don't won't to be THAT GUY but...
    WHAT THE HELL? Three wires on a kick stand switch? This is the first I have heard of this. Split Voltage!?

Did word get back to the Safety Nazi's (is it okay to say safety nazis now a days?) that people were removing the switch?

I took the one off my DRZ400SM because when I stood up my heel would move the kick stand just enough to cut the ignition. Never figured out why they had to make it THAT sensitive. Why does it only cut out when I stand up? Did they put a lawn mower seat cut out switch on this bike? Didn't take long to diagnose and fix the problem. And it didn't involve resisters. CONSARNIT.
  6. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    I have not looked at the 790 switch but on the 690 and many other bikes it is activated by a magnet on the stand. if it gets knocked out of place all you need to do is place the magnet back on it. So with that in mind if you want you can relocate the switch to a safer place and wrap the magnet in with it.
    windblown101 likes this.
  7. benzhow

benzhow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you plan to make the “molle aluminum grid” to attach the Wolfman 303 Rolie bags available for purchase? I’d like to buy them! Thanks!

I really like how those are mounted. I intend to put my tools on one side and Medkit on the other.

Wonger20 and ibgary like this.
  8. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Here's my heated grip solution:
    Symtec wraps over the stock grips, then grip puppies over top. This solves several things by putting them over grips vs. directly on the bars.
    - The grips are insulators so you don't have the aluminum bars as heat-syncs. This configuration transfers lots of heat through the foam grip puppies. Only downside, as there's not much thermal mass holding onto the heat, they cool down quicker than a regular setup with the elements right on the bars. They heat up again quickly though, so no biggie for me.
    - The heat through throttle and clutch side is the same, no more mismatch due to plastic throttle tube and aluminum bar on the clutch side. The newer Symtec kits use the same resistance elements on each side now, you need this for it to work. The older kits use more resistance on the throttle side to balance the heat output.
    - For me, the foam grip puppies are much better than rubber, give some vibration isolation and make the grip diameter larger.

To cap this off, I'm hooking them up to a PWM switch for infinite adjustability. It might seem like a small thing vs. a switch with a few levels of output to choose from, but I really like the fine level of adjustment. My temp solution this fall due to lack of time was a simple 3 level switch and it definitely gets the job done as well.

20190913_153742.jpg

20190913_154821.jpg

I've done this on several bikes in the past and have put about 4000km on the 790 with this setup. Works great !
  9. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you leave them that way year round? How does the larger diameter affect your hand comfort on day long dirt adventures?
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Someone else already posted a write up of the Koso Apollo heated grips; I bought those and think they are a very clean solution.
    gbx2001 likes this.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Book marked your post @Gaulin and saved the photos for when the time comes. Do you also have a shot of the heat level adjuster? I'm also interested, and always have been actually, in how diameter affects CTS, and comfort where grip fatigue in the hands comes into play. Also as you've increased the diameter of the grips, that likely changes the way the throttle rolls on. Fewer degrees movement with the same muscle memory'd motion. (When I switched to offroad ThR it drove, and continues to drive, me nuts because I always feel like I have to regrip to move higher in the revs as I ride and then from that new position it's not as simple as rolling my wrist forward to kill the throttle on emergency stops etc. Whereas with the Rally ThR so much power is on tap that I could move through what seemed like a great RPM range, while also being able to easily snap my wrist forward to shut off the throttle that I never had to 're-grip' the tube to go higher etc.

Anyone else sense that change going to an easier ThR from Rally ThR?
  12. Gaulin

Oddometer:
    Yes, leave them like this year round. I think grips are right up there in personal preference as seats, windshields, bars, etc. For me they're great in all situations and riding conditions. I have average sized hands I'd say - Held glove 9 - but for me the larger diameter is much more comfortable for long hauls, on and off road. Increasing diameter of the grip obviously reduces how much you have to wrap your hand around it which reduces fatigue for me. As my hand is slightly less flexed I find I don't grip as tight as well, helps reduce that bad safety reflex.
    For $20-ish they're a worthwhile experiment.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. Gaulin

Oddometer:
    Here's what I've used in the past:
    https://www.warmnsafe.com/collectio.../single-handgrip-seat-heat-troller-relay-fuse

For the 790 I'm using a solid state fuse panel that has PWM built in, a Motobrain. So the switch is a simple rheostat hooked to the Motobrain. Motobrain seems to be a dead project so I won't get your hopes up and post a link. I'm going to mount the rheostat on the top clamp of my HDB handguards to keep the install nice and clean avoiding bar clutter.
    gbx2001 and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Second the warm-n-safe heat-troller. Very rugged.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Nice, shoot us some photos when the install is complete. May Art can add your installation notes into his FAQ as well.
  16. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Years ago I had those and I remember you had to order the right set for a motorcycle. Some guys were getting the Snowmobile/Quad ones and roasting their throttle hand since they don't use a throttle tube.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    To be honest I don't see too much benefits in heated grips. Usually they make grips thicker and that's a total no-go. 'HB bags' are much better and keep all parts of hand equally warm/cold - heated grips end up with thumbs freezing & fingers that are used for clutch and front brake. Bags also keep gloves dry which grips only help on one side and inside bags you can use 'normal' thin gloves for optimum feeling and enable normal use of nagigation etc. Thick gloves you need to remove to operate navigation and end up with even colder hands > bad contact with thick hb > make mistakes > not enjoying active riding > end up just cruising in shoulder lock to keep warm > :vardy

If there was actually robust solution for heated grips I would go with very low powered heat + hb bags. I'm also thinking of solution to put heat elements in bags so summer without extra wires getting cut and 5 minutes setup for cold rides. Feel free to copy the idea and post pictures so I can copy the solution :-)
    TrailTrauma and ibgary like this.
  18. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i find heated grips alone a great when its not really cold but 50's when it gets really cold the combo of heated gloves and grips works great
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes
    Wonger20 likes this.
  20. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Started fiddling with my new led lights today and found out that this is over my head a bit... :confused

First of I did connect all OEM lights and stuff and found out my DRL lights where on even though it was in the off position in the menu,
    I never started the bike so maybe thats why ? (the bike is in pieces right now so I can't fire it up to check.

I would be greatefull if someone could confirm if this is the normal behavour of the DRL's.

Now to the fun part :hmmmmm

Black cable is 0 (zero) volt negative...(when taking the reading between Green/Red - Black)
    Green cable is 12 volt positive with constant power (without ignition on)
    White/Blue cable is dead all the time

If anyone have some elecrical knowledge about this please feel free to chime in because I don't get it... :dunno

connector.jpg