1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On knobbies its plenty of brake...plenty

The plate has a bunch of coverage...low weight...top shelf engineering... aluminum is dead hahahaha
  2. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
  3. benzhow

benzhow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I like them. Just the right size. I ordered some much larger ones and the pegs kept catching on my boot. Almost dropped the bike a couple of times before I put the Camel ADV pegs on.
    No-Fret likes this.
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone with the Vanasche GPS mount tell me if the leg and the base are separate pieces.
    I want to machine 10 mm from both mounting faces but havent got one yet.
    Havent decided if it my preferred option for keeping it in as close and low as possible using a 650T.

This and the SW are relatively easily available here in Australia.

[​IMG]
  5. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny, most of your other posts don't sound dumb...only that one. But really, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much. We all have brain farts once in a while.
  6. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I thought I would have a look at upgrading the ball bearings used in the steering head bearings on the 790 with a set of tapered roller bearings. I have a set of tapered rollers that fit just about every KTM ever made, but as it turns out, they are not the same size. The nearly universal tapered rollers have an ID of 29mm and an OD of 50mm, while the 790 ball bearings are 30/55 ID/OD. These new ball bearings are also used in the 1290/1090 Adventures, and seem to be a deliberate choice to maintain correct steering head bearing operation. I found this comment from someone who should be in the know:

KTM Australia’s Motorsport & Technical Services Manager, Rob Twyerould

There was a fair bit of talk at the launch about simplifying the serviceability of critical components on the 2017 bikes. What components, specifically?
    The steering head bearings are a classic example. With the previous tapered roller bearings that are traditionally used for the steering head, the tension ‘test’ was how easily the wheel flopped from side to side after you’d tightened it. But some guys like a little drag; others prefer it looser. And you needed to do up two nuts – one under the triple clamp, which required a special tool, and then your conventional nut on top of the triple clamp. So when there were reports of the bikes encountering a weaving or instability problem on the really high-speed autobahns, KTM’s design team traced the issue back to incorrectly tensioned steering head bearings. Therefore, the factory introduced all-new caged ball bearings to the top and bottom of the steering stem for 2017, which have a much smaller surface area against the race. And because the race is very deep, it creates a lot more stability in every plane. In addition to it offering a very smooth movement, the design also allowed the factory to come up with one torque setting for the steering head nut, and eliminate the secondary nut under the triple clamp altogether. Now, the top triple clamp sits straight on the dust seal, and the nut is tightened from the top to a torque setting of just 18Nm, after which you re-tighten the pinch bolt. It’s a far simpler and more reliable system, and it means no one will ever be at the mercy of the ‘feel’ used by a particular mechanic.
    ibgary, Perun, Fabricator and 7 others like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I call bullshit on KTM. Their bikes have always had the single nut, even with tapered rollers. I had Japanese bikes earlier in my life and the first time I took off the top triple and the front end fell apart, I couldn’t believe it because I expected the second nut under the triple.
    Salzig likes this.
  8. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Just to let you folks know, I'm keeping tabs on your Moto-repair-expertise...as I travel the country next week I know who's house to swing by JIC....
    braaap! likes this.
  9. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @1coolbanana - they are seperate pieces... 3No M5 cap screws underneath.
    vanasche gps mount.jpg
    1coolbanana and Bluetonguejak like this.
  10. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed mine today and really happy with it. Light pull with progressive engagement. Just feels better than the cable. Installation is pretty easy but you have to pull the tank to route the cable properly, and even worse you have to open the headlight support to connect the clutch switch sensor. IMO the mechanical cable is just a cost cutting thing because every other KTM I have owned used a hydraulic clutch cable-even my 500 EXC. Even my two bicycles use hydraulic brake cables for the disc brakes.
    offworlder, No-Fret and nibby like this.
  12. braaap!

Oddometer:
    @Velociraptor

Are you running Camel's actuator arm as well?... aaaand, how does the new clutch switch sensor differ to the oem?.. Had to pull the headlight off to install a new oem clutch switch cable and it is a complete PIT(fcukin)A task.
    Matt P likes this.
  13. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No I went with the OEM arm. Did not try it with the Camel arm. Might be too soft with the Camel arm. The switch is pretty much the same but the design to trigger it is different. Would be great if we could just bolt the OEM switch on the Magura lever but no go.
  14. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks. Do you have a picture of the new switch setup?
    The oem switch seems to be pretty fragile (cheap)... I had the grey wire break right where it enters the switch molding (hoping this is what has caused my CC to go AWOL).
    And wtf where KTM thinking selecting a switch that's mounted via 2 mini plastic screws with T5 heads? :loco
  15. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    I had an issue with the clutch switch as well, but it was self-inflicted when I was installing a different clutch lever, and found out the switch is fairly fragile when subjected to side loads.
    Anyway, I found a micro-switch on amazon that had the same mounting points, and successfully installed it, splicing it onto the stock wiring leads, so I didn't have to go into the headlight shell.
    A bag of 20 switches cost under $9- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N819HR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The outer 2 terminals are used, and the switch lever shortened-
    IMG_20191108_112602.jpg

The switch position works perfectly, no adjustment was needed, and if it does fail, I have 19 more ready to replace it. IMG_20191108_141908.jpg
  16. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Great thinking! NO switches will be easy to find locally from RS Components :thumbup
    KTM replacement switch cable is over $100 AUD (pesos) :augie
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I found a version of one these at my dealer yrs ago. Used it for all bikes but my HOG so far. For the 790 I just laid a few 1x6 pieces of wood across the top to
    I'm looking at moving to a more enduro-esque bar bend. @AdvRonski, what Taper bars are those?
  18. braaap!

Oddometer:
    PUI already TT? :beer

HNY!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    They are Pro Taper Evo Factory Suzuki/ KTM Stock bars.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have it from a reliable source that in order to meet (KTM's market research driven) price point - it was either a hydraulic clutch or awesome suspension. While I'm sure we all recognize that KTM made the right call re suspension (much more expensive to replace than a clutch) - IMO they should have just bumped the price up (~ $300) and saved themselves the egg on face of releasing a massively innovative product with inferior "technology" in one of the bike's most important places. :dunno

No bike is perfect out of the box, as there's just too much diversity in the product's customer base. On the 790, feels to me that there were a number of disparate teams working in isolation; the chassis/ engine/suspension teams killed it :wings, while some of the other teams designed what looked good on paper, but actually causes riders technical debt :baldy. For those of us that recognize it, we're crawling out from under by re-investing further time/money to resolve.
    :marc
    Velociraptor likes this.