KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Hey, it seems that this thread is not really needed and can be closed.

No, you can't argue it - if it's said in youtube review it must be true. :lol3
    --https://youtu.be/kVgFbV_kB60?t=1000

Or below video @ 16:40 > 17:00

signifigant problems on linking yt video starting from certain point..
  2. Oscar

Oscar Curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously their idea of Adv Bike is radically different from mine.
    That bloated, expensive German war pig is simply not the best bike out of the four.
    And I own three BMWs.
    Toddv, scfrank, ramirin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure the radiator shrouds come with the graphics on them.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is so freaking awesome! 3D printing is really a game changer when it comes to CNC. You used to have to beg and plead for a CNC operator to to make a part for you and if you didn’t have enough volume the cost would be out of reach. Now with 3D printing an enterprising individual can design the part, test fit it and then send the file to the CNC operator!
    michaeldorian and Motopumps like this.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    You missed the point, I put it into mods thread since he says: "You don't need to put more money on 790 to feel comfortable to take it offroad and never be worried about damaging it" :jack
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the problem with selecting a "best of class" bike when the definition of the class is so wide ranging. It's not like lining up 4 supersports at a track and equipping all of them with identical rubber and see which one turns the hottest laps. There will always be a bias in the ADV class based on what the riders personal desires in an adventure bike are.

Lets see, we have the following (Plus all those who fall somewhere between)
    Street biased long range "ADV" rider who wants comfort above all.
    Street biased hooligan "ADV" rider who wants a Supermoto with longer legs.
    All terrain long range x-country "ADV" rider who wants a bike that balances pretty much everything.
    Dirt biased shorter range hooligan "ADV" rider who wants a dirt bike with longer legs.

No review is going to be agreed upon by everyone who says they are an Adventure rider because the class has no narrow definition. Any of the bikes *could* be the best one for a given rider, except the Honda of course... :)
    Salzig, ramirin and 1coolbanana like this.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That's just mean, Honda is a perfect bike for roughly 40% of adv.bike owners. It's a brilliant machine to keep in garage and never take it out for a ride :lol3

edit: note for those how cancelled their order on honda based on my expertise - never ridden one, but it must be bad as it lost to bmw on a review.
    Salzig and windblown101 like this.
  8. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 790 is best in class off road and can go shit load of miles on road as well, i think it is off road bias but very balanced as well. put it on 80-90mph lock in the cc and you are golden
    ok you might need a better screen or a spoiler and a better seat (even though i think the seat is great ) but never saw a bike that didnt need a better seat.

if by shorter range you mean the 701/690 ...well i agree but these are more DS bikes that can be used for adv
    ibgary and windblown101 like this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    You won't get much argument from me but that's because it sounds like your and my definition of adventure bike are pretty close. After my 8k mile spin around the US on my 790R I can say with certainty that I have not ridden a better bike for the mix of riding I did while on the trip. (But I haven't ridden a T7 yet....)
    1coolbanana and Migolito like this.
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was confused by their saying that to enjoy the bike you have to push it hard all the time. I ride it at all sorts of speeds on and off road and it is great. True that riding faster off road is more fun because the bike always surprises at how well it handles the speed, but it's fine going slower too.
    ibgary and 1coolbanana like this.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    IMHO motos that love to rev and suspensions tuned for bigger hits seem to be at their best when ridden hard, not to say they have to be though. Softer sprung bikes with more low end torque just seem to fall naturally into an easy going sedate pace. Either type can be ridden hard or not, but the motor characteristics and the suspension tune do have an impact. The 790R does a great job of being willing to play travel bike but at it's heart it seems to always want me to twist that throttle a little more. ;)
  12. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Well, it's times like these I am greatfull to be a mediocre rider. So far, I've kept, or more accurately the bike has kept me, in the middle of the bikes performance envelope. I've experienced flat out 80mph sustained highway speeds in the west Texas to New Mexico wind corridor, rain/snow and below freezing temps, long sandy desert washes, rocks, gravel, mountain twisties and the southern california communters hell spliting traffic, which BTW I have video evidence... all wanted to kill me. The bike just does it. No fuss, no mess. Just a well balanced, well rounded bike.
    KevinBB likes this.
  13. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you have a model number for the puig screen?

how are the vibrations or is the screen pretty solid?
  14. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'll look up the model. On the road, the screen is solid. No vibrations, and consistent will the wind. Off road, it do wiggle. But, not like it's going to break. Mind you, I'm adv riding off road with my luggage etc, so not blasting through the desert.
  15. Oscar

Oscar Curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, but I saw that video the other day on FB and wondered which planet it was from (possibly one with much lower gravity).
    There is no way a behemoth with a 19" front wheel and a curb weight of 591 pounds is a better Adv bike than a 790r, T7 or even an Africa Queen...
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Most photos of skid plates are pretty, and staged. I was looking at @Nowwhat 's photo and realized it's the best photo of the AXP plate out there in the wild. Why? Because it simply blends so well with the bike. Like it's not even there. I cropped it here...

AXP blend.jpeg
    ramirin, EvilSteve and Nowwhat like this.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    20200119_124524.jpg
    ramirin, HoreZ, nibby and 5 others like this.
  18. ChrisB Kiwi

ChrisB Kiwi Where does THIS go?

Oddometer:
    Santa mustn't have checked his list very well this year - because the MST kit turned up on the porch a couple of weeks ago....it was very easy to fit, I like it both on and off-road. In general I can ride about 20km/h faster before I feel the need to fully close my visor....and I dig the look. My only niggle is I need to find out what resistance to put in the headlight wiring plug to satisfy the ecu that a headlight is fitted...I get a HLU Failure message, but it all works well....and high beam is super bright!
  19. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simpleton thoughts, but I reckon if you ohm out the old headlight assembly then do so on the new one you should be able to find the difference between the two, then compensate accordingly. Probably easier said than done. Great looking bike! Hope the fires aren’t near ya. Cheers.
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hows the airflow, buffeting etc?