1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a Shoria in the last bike back in 2014. It is still working fine. Sold the bike to my neighbor back in July, but I got to take it for a ride today.
    I love the 790, but haven't changed the battery yet. I'm sure batteries are better today than they were in 14, but that 6 yr old Shorai battery is still cranking just fine.
    Venturer likes this.
  2. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got my bike back from the shop - had the 600 mile service done (yay! Now full capability is available) and also had them install the cruise control and heated grips.

By the time I made it home (bike was riding in the back of the truck) the heated grip button had already come off. It is just attached to the mount by adhesive. Not going to take it back, they will just replace with more crappy adhesive - so anyone already face this and come up with a more robust solution? I mean, I could always super glue the bastard on.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its the same as the 9XX HG, and Im waiting for mine on the 790. I used velcro, not the fuzzy type, the hard type, cant remember what its called.
    Never comes off unless you want it to.

EDIT: Just remembered, its called Dual Lock
  4. ZOL

ZOL Retired !!!

Oddometer:
    --------
    I just used a drop of super glue ! Holding fine after 3 months
    CalamariKid likes this.
  5. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better quality adhesive. I think I'm using something from Uglu. Clean both surfaces well before applying. I use alcohol swabs and let them fully dry. I'm betting the mechanic had greaser fingers.
    MeVoGTC, CalamariKid and windblown101 like this.
  6. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Two part Gorilla epoxy will work. However, can you mount (heavy duty Velcro) the button to a backer then mount the backer to the bike?
    CalamariKid likes this.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That and or did not clean the button and mount before installing. I've had three of these KTM units on different bikes. First one popped off after a couple of weeks. The next two I wiped the plastic with a rag dampened with brake cleaner before applying the double sided tape and they have never popped loose. 12k miles on the one on my 790 now. The tape has withstood freezing rain, 100 degree temps, and a lot of pressure washings so far.
    No-Fret, marchyman and CalamariKid like this.
  8. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    +1 on the 3M Dual Lock.
  9. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen a couple people mention enduristan bags, does anyone know if the tornado XL will fit on the back of the 790 adv R without getting a bigger rack? I have seen people use the medium, and that seems fine. But for 20 bucks more, you can get over double the storage with the XL, and that would be pretty great.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod I was editing my post to mention cleaning while you were posting :thumb
  11. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t the mechanic. I installed mine and had it surgically sterile. Fell off the next day before even riding. Really bummed me out more than it should have! Haha shit adhesive. Just needs some glue or velcro.
    ibgary likes this.
  12. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cleaned the bad adhesive off, and used 3m double sided foam tape (similar to stock) that I always have on hand. It has held just fine. Very cheap/easy solution.

BTW that foam double sided tape comes in a wide variety of adhesive strengths and tape thicknesses. The strong stuff is widely used to adhere external automotive plastics, so a quick trip to the big-box store will solve this and many other problems. Just buy the real thing (3M brand).
    Venturer and CalamariKid like this.
  13. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be out of line here, don't want to tell you how to pack.
    I went from the Wolfman Rocky Mountains (35 L per bag) to the Mosko Moto Scout 25s. The Wolfman Rockie Mountain is great, but the more room I have the more gear I take.
    The Scouts hold what I need but not much more.
    The Wolfman is for sale if interested send me a PM.
    Migolito and nibby like this.
  14. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it, but I am not super interested in buying luggage just yet, im only looking. I did consider Mosko, but they are too pricey for me. I am sure they are worth the cost, but I don't want to meet them there.
  15. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Tornado, but these make a perfect fit for the 790.....
  16. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2072248 Got the rade
    I did the exact same thing. Haven’t even thought about it since.
  17. Kiwi Pete

Kiwi Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a thin cable tie around it ;-) Why did they not just use the same HG's as the 1x90?! Surely it's just a bit of software and a cable off the loom.
    Motopumps likes this.
  18. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was surprised by that as well. External controllers suck. I installed Koso Apollo heated grips on mine because I prefer the way they integrate the controller into the left grip. They are quite hot as well.
    [​IMG]
    I have put them on my wife's VStrom, my AT and the 790, as well as two friend's bikes. Good stuff.
    Rob
  19. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Talking about "Lithium" batterys they are quite different but you always need high quality cells and BMS (Battery Management System) built in the battery
    for safety reasons to minimaze the risk of a thermal runaway and they need to have the right charger, Li-Ion ones, are quite dangerous if they heat up over 100°C
    they don't like vibrations either... Please don't burn your bikes or houses down because of a cheap battery :nono

1coolbanana and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer: