KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you change the throttle tube on the 790? if so which one?
  2. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Smoothed off protrusions and slid the heated grip over it. One trick is to plug the heated grips in and get them HOT before trying to install them. They expand quite a bit and slide on easily when hot. You can use the supplied "super glue" or hair spray or traditional grip glue.

Rob
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess I am confused as usual...The grip on the throttle tube is bonded on and needs to be scraped off correct?
  4. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks all - went the foam tape route, b/c that's what I could get my hands on quickly, though the tough velcro route seems a better solution
  5. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Slit it with a razor and it peels right off. Smooth off the ribs, etc., so the heated grip has an even surface, heat up, slide on with a bit of glue of your choice. The KTM grips are way more convenient to install as they attach with screws. I didn't want the clunky separate controller. The Koso Apollo grips are reasonably priced as well at $119...

Rob
  6. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used this one. It works fine, but it not Quite the correct length.
  7. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    That would certainly simplify the operation, if you don't mind the toll...

Rob
  8. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those I am considering quite seriously, since I found last night that I can fit my normal travel duffel bag on the back of the bike. Its not waterproof, but a trash bag could solve that in a pinch.
  9. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used the same grips on mine and absolutely love them. I would have went ktm but didn't like the external controller. Wish I would have thought about heating them up because I fought to get them on the throttle tube!
  10. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strange, I slit my throttle grip (oem) and it was glued on solid, It didn't peel right off. 1 hour of shaving rubber and the plastic ribs. Then there is a large disc in near throttle housing I had to whittle away for my install. Left was simple.
  11. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ummmmmm...we are def a little confused by the Yamaha sticker :rofl but that bike looks sweet!!! Those S4s kind of just blend away--you hardly notice them, just see your bike. Well, your bike will not blend away any longer in traffic! Enjoy!

Your Denali Design Team
    www.DenaliElectronics.com
  12. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So after driving around with a simple duffle bag bungied to the stock bike, I started to wonder if I could get a cheap waterproof footlocker, drill some holes in the bottom, and mount it down, instead of spending the hundreds it would cost to get a top luggage rack. Is that something people do?
  13. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then it appears that 690/701 throttle tubes should fit 790, and they are available separately from the throttle assembly.

Funny enough, my 701 had the clutch side grip heavily glued on, but the throttle side one had no glue at all.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  14. jtriver

jtriver n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, so I just installed the SW Motech center stand on my 790R, after install I noticed that the rubber bumper/damper is pretty much useless as the steel tab on the right side pivot stops the stand from going back far/high enough. I have the SW Motech skid plate on and the cross bar of the center stand sits lower than the trailing edge or back tail of the skid plate. So I'm debating if it's worthwhile to shave off some of the steel tab in order to allow the center stand to tuck up higher, clearing the rear skid plate edge and allowing the rubber damper to touch the bottom of the swingarm... Has anyone done this? I do indeed have the correct center stand for the R model. Why would SW Motech encorporate a rubber damper if it doesn't get used?
    Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue.
    JT
  15. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:

the rubber damper can hit the swingarm when the bike comes off the ground .
  16. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perun, CaseyB and krussell like this.
  17. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think plenty of people adapt Pelican cases.
    EvilSteve and krussell like this.
  18. jtriver

jtriver n00b

Oddometer:
    just finished modifying the center stand. cut off approx. 10 degree wedge of steel from the tab. now it swings up high enough to clear the skid plate. i also had to weld on an extention for the rubber damper so it hits the swing-arm better. made a bungee from "thera-band" surgical tubing to further secure stand when stowed/riding (similar to my Husqy 300 kickstand bungee). only concerns now are a sloppy stretched out chain cutting into the cross support tube, preventative maintenance will hopefully avoid this :) and the left support leg/foot-pad comes really close to the swing-arm, hopefully a log or rock rub wont alter but im sure it will happen down the road ha!
    SEK_Nick likes this.
  19. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    krussell likes this.
  20. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a PITA. Think I'll skip the SWM center stand.
    ibgary and 1coolbanana like this.