1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the perceived advantage to a center stand on a bike this light that warrants all the trouble to get it to even come close to working?
    SEK_Nick, BobcatSig and Subaruvich like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Rhetorical:

(of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information. :)
    Nowwhat and kzeb like this.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Nowwhat likes this.
  4. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Caribou Cases (https://cariboucases.com/ktm-790r/, https://cariboucases.com/ktm-790-adventure/) has various lockable options for side and top cases using Pelican or Storm cases, including DIY options for Harbor Freight or other cases. Also, the Altrider and Perun rear racks are pre-drilled for the hole pattern for mounting.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I guess it comes along the idea to have separate (big and heavy) crashbars..
    kzeb, Brilloman and Nowwhat like this.
  8. JCARTER

JCARTER Chillin

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma-
    I am not quite getting the plastic skid plate! Besides weight why would it be better then Aluminum? I am looking at the SW-Motech skid plate. Why would AXP be better?

I understand this from the MFR info:
    AXP Racing's Poly Skid Plate for the KTM 790 Adventure features a tough, thick 8mm poly plate that's designed to protect your Engine, Fuel Tanks & your Rear Shock Linkage. AXP's design utilizes aluminum mounting brackets which mount to existing skid plate mounts and frame points, unlike other skid plates that utilize engine mounting points. HDPE is a great material for skid plates because it's lightweight, durable, flexes on impact and slides over obstacles. Unlike Aluminum plates which are heavy, bend and more times than not cause annoying vibration noise caused by metal on metal contact at the mount.

Features:
    Thick 8mm HDPE Material is incredibly tough and protective
    Design protects Engine and Lower Fuel Tank
    Much lighter than Aluminum Plates
    Slides off obstacles
    Resilient HDPE material flexes instead of denting and distorting
    Includes Debris Shield
    All necessary mounting hardware included

What I am worried about is fatigue cracks of plastic over time around the bolts.
    And will a hard rock hit cause a split in the plastic... or crack it... Has this type of protection been proven and tested over time somewhere I don't know about?

Please Advise.

Thanks,
    JC
    Migolito likes this.
  9. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Me too
  10. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thick plastic plates have been in use on enduro bikes for many years and hold up quite well as long as the attachment points are secure. They're preferred by a lot of riders encountering lots of logs during hare scrambles and technical enduro races because their slippery surfaces let you slide over more readily. They also resist mud caking better than metal. That said, enduro bikes have more narrow frame gaps than the 790 and often riders mount a plastic protector over a modest aluminum guard for more force distribution. I haven't decided which direction I'll go on mine yet, but I don't plan to bash it against things as often as my Beta either.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Composite skid plates have long been used on dirt bikes. They are lighter, quieter, resist getting deformed, and arguably slide over stuff a bit easier. They do tend to gouge up a bit over time when ridden in rocks.

As for long term durability they seem to hold up well. However, on heavy bikes I suspect they might deflect enough to cause damage to mounts over time. Moreso than aluminum? I couldn't say with certainty. I went with an Enduro Engineering Aluminum because I feel it will likely hold up as long as a composite plate and costs half as much. I view skidplates as a eventually disposable, if you abuse them enough you may have to replace them.
    JCARTER likes this.
  12. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Here ya go. Please excuse the mess, I threw the camera back in just for perspective. It's solid as hell and does not vibrate. Easy to remove and I have a charger inside. All told, about $19.00.

EDIT: Dear Motominded, and other fabricators. Just a thought; make a universal slide rail that would allow this type of 'plastic box' to slide on and off the rear tail bracket and lock simply from the inside with a simple push/pull pin. Or, take a look at the Mosko Moto 'puck' system for thier luggage. Two plates that mate and a pin. It's universal and bomb proof. There ya go, send the first one to me and I'll review.

Attached Files:

Perun and kzeb like this.
  13. Migolito

Oddometer:
    The whole 'skidplate' thing is a wee bit overwhelwing. My bike will never do terrain where I need to slide over rocks, logs and small children. I have a 500exc that does that to the best of my feable ability. Right now, I have a SW Mo crash bar set up that is working out extremely well for the street. It holds my lights, allows foot placement on those long slabs, and does offer excellent lay down pro (however, I do not like the engine attachements). It's also top quality! However, it's use precludes the bootom pro ive seen so far.
    Having said that, the bike will be doing dirt starting this year...lotsa dirt. BDR dirt, death valley dirt, mountain dirt...but, hopefully no single track dirt. SOOOO, ya, I'd like bottom pro for those things that fly up to meet my soft underbelly, and some lay over pro, and some pro for the crap thats tossed up from the front wheel. When WE started this mod's for our new bike, there wasnt anything available. Now, some of the best and the brightest have stepped up...big time. So, in the next couple of months I'll be prepping the bike (still need to name her) for the dirt...ADV dirt, not racing dirt. It will start with Rallz tires, and Cycra handguards. I also just recieved the Unifilter from AUS. the only major Mod that is up in the air for me is the bottom pro. It appears that none of the bottom pro will allow the SW Mo crash bars, so, along with the Bottom Pro, Ill be looking at new light brackets.
    JCARTER likes this.
  14. JCARTER

JCARTER Chillin

Oddometer:
    Thanks gents for your replies! Helps a lot! Its 70 dollars cheaper for the Poly... SW-Motech is $389.00....so I will give AXP a shot. I do ride on straight aways that have large pool ball size rocks that beat my 1090 skid plate pretty well at a fast pace. So was worried about the poly. I ride through those areas a lot to get to my destination.

I will be buying my 790 soon...
    Thanks again,

JC
    Migolito likes this.
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. jtriver

jtriver n00b

Oddometer:
    it provides a nice level platform for a pancake griddle...
    Nowwhat likes this.
  17. HeliCycle

HeliCycle Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my MotoPumps GPS mount installed today. Great instructions and hardware. I did find that the socket head screws used to mate my Garmin Zumo 595 GPS cradle to the MotoPumps mount were too long for my gear. A quick trip to McMaster-Carr.com had the right length screws in hand.

Photos below show the supplied socket head screws sticking out too far (preventing full tilt of the cradle), the replacement screws compared to supplied screws, and a couple of angles of the mount, plus the view from the pilot's seat (sitting and standing).

All in, I think this well work great for my needs. And, the kit and instructions are top notch. I don't hold the screw length against the kit. There are a lot of variations out there, and it would be impossible to supply hardware for every contingency. I do, however, really appreciate Rob's instructions including the specs of all the hardware. Knowing that the included screws were M4x0.7x25 saved me having to dig out my pitch gauges and potentially getting the wrong size. I just measured how much stick-out I had originally, then found the right size at McMaster's. Easy-peasy.

Also, Rob is super-helpful. I emailed him several times with questions and he always got back to me really quickly. IMG_20200125_124854.jpg IMG_20200125_125008.jpg IMG_20200125_125222.jpg IMG_20200125_132210.jpg IMG_20200125_132622.jpg IMG_20200125_132643.jpg
    TrailTrauma, krussell, CaseyB and 2 others like this.
  18. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. You have it mounted further back than I expected. However, I think If I got a similar case, I could make a backrest for the wife, which is the main goal of a hard top case in the first place.
  19. Migolito

Oddometer:
    When I go Adv riding I mount my Mosko Moto side bags AND a 40L duffle on top. The duffle fits between the little case and me, thereby creating a really nice back rest. I'm really hoping someone creates a 'slider' type mount for small/medium pelican type case like this. IF they used a rail system the box could me easily slide forward or backward to fit specific needs.
    I definately could see mounting a larger 'pelican' type box and adding a back rest...super easy.

Maybe this: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/shop/Enclosed-Trailer-Accessories/Airline-Straps-Hardware

and this:https://www.uscargocontrol.com/L-Track-Double-Lug-Threaded-Stud-Fitting
  20. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    . Like the BRE slider system?