KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to your page first, and saw your notation about removing the ridge, but I think you mean the first ridge - the one which might not allow some grips to slide all the way on? I bought the foam 786 grips which I was easily able to confine to the space I had up to that ridge. I didn't want to remove that particular ridge yet in case the foam grips impinged on the rotation of the tube. haha. Jokes on me eh? I'll crack this nut eventually.
  2. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As did mine. I used the Apollo heated grips and the throttle tube mounted with only a little "assistance", but required a small spacer at the end of the bar to prevent the hand guard from impinging on the grip. It all works quite smoothly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work at a small Repair shop, also a Royal Enfield dealer. When I was getting ready to install the heated grips on mine, I asked my boss, the head mechanic, his opinion about modifying the stock tube or getting an aluminum tube (ie the G2). He said stick with the plastic. Just about every aluminum tube he’s dealt with will bind up. So to the Dremel tool I went. I managed to peel off 3/4 of the grip before I went to a sanding wheel. Took me about 20ish minutes to mod the stock tube. Just my two cents......hope it was helpful.....

:hide[/QUOTE]
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    If I could compare my throttle assembly with someone else's it might tell me if this metal tab is the culprit. I don't know if this is an error in manufacturing or if it's assembled this way for a reason.

20200304_094404.jpg
  5. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    That photo illustrates your question perfectly. Given that, I would think your question, along with that pic, is best asked of the Throttle Tamer/G2 engineers.
  6. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    That asymmetry does seem congruent with the weird angle/bit of effort to get the G2 into the throttle assembly. I emailed G2 Ergonomics and they were no help. Bupkis. But perhaps a KTM mech could look at that photo, and say 'that's defective .. it should be perfectly symmetrical'. That imperfection in that tab gets absorbed by the slop in the OEM tube, but with the G2 tolerances are simply too close for that BS.
  7. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can look when I get home tonight. I definitely have to give it a little extra push to fully seat. You can see me give it the extra nudge in video.

I also tried not pushing it in all the way, which looks similar to the photo @hubilado posted (3 posts above this)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  8. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe just use the OEM tube? Idk why you're insisting on using this thing when it doesn't do anything better...
  9. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Pit Bull. Made in America and they will outlast you and your bike. It's a cry-once purchase.

Find a set of swingarm spools so you can lift the rear and you're set.
    SCPancho likes this.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Hey, according to manual you probably need to begin installation by removing the main silencer and disconnect battery. I had mine already off - maybe that causes the binding problem :jack
    kzeb, SoilSampleDave and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    The stock tube has far too much slop. In technical terrain that becomes a fatiguing factor. So with my normal neurological deficits I chose to do whatever I can to prolong my rides, and my enjoyment. Pretty simple really..
    offworlder likes this.
  12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Rally mode, level 9, constant WFO! There is a short rocky climb not too far from where I live that I tried a TC experiment on. First, time I left rally mode in level 3 like I normally do. Pinned the throttle going up and when the rear hit a rock or a ledge (not sure) it kicked me sideways and had I not chopped the throttle with a little help from the level 3 mode, I would have launched sideways into the next county, because I had traction. I turned it up to level 9 and repeated. I looked like Graham F’ing Jarvis going up the hill. Ridiculous.
    Brilloman, BobcatSig and CaseyB like this.
  13. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I've got stuck everytime (both times) I tried to use tc on uphill - it didn't give me the explode I needed and run out of speed.. need to experiment more next summer
    PomInOz_ likes this.
  14. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    We may need a convention on 'pinned the throttle'. :rofl
    ramirin and SoilSampleDave like this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I was already moving along at a decent clip when the little uphill comes up, so that may be the difference. If I am going slow enough to even think about using the clutch, it think TC would be bad. I still remember the first dirt ride on my 1190R. Came up to maybe a 2ft high rise with maybe a 45 degree angle. Gave it some gas as the front wheel got close and it felt like someone turned my ignition switch off. They’ve come a long way since then.
    gbx2001 and ramirin like this.
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can breathe

IMG_8168.jpg
    koekeroe, EvilSteve, No-Fret and 8 others like this.
  17. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your details are lacking....:dirtdog
  18. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Is he making a new map or are you rockin the autotune module?
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    G2 binding issue solved. Caution - blunt force trauma ahead...

So, remember the throttle assembly, and that asymmetrical metal tab? I ground it down till damn near uniform with the rest of the circumference which slides onto the bar. Then on the lid of the assembly there is a very small tab which also serves to index the assemblies position. I ground that down as well .. scratch that .. I snapped it off ;) ***NOT completely off! Then you wouldn't have much of anything to retain the G2. I was gently trying to pull the little tab outward so it wouldn't rub on the G2 but it snapped off just cheap white metal so if you go this route I suggest just grinding it down slowly. With all of this I worked in small increments, and tested repeatedly, and then continued to remove more material. It progressively got better, and once most of the small tab was gone things got much better.

Moves like butter now, all buttoned up!

If my throttle assembly were Mark Wahlberg, my past 24 hrs would go something like this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanosgp, JP4, tshansen and 3 others like this.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Autotune.....not that it will need it....