KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DB00910E-15E2-4AF9-86E7-D4CDEAF57026.jpeg 019AE05B-63A6-43A2-88E0-AFE8FB75A9B2.jpeg Little Rottweiler love
  2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    if my 500 isnt ready, im bringing the 790 to noobs. cant wait to check iut your bike
    Nowwhat likes this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once she's all buttoned back down completely I'll pull it outside and snap a few. The rear looks like clean, and the bars have a distinct T-rex mini arms appeal lol. Very compact looking.

But before I tap the bar ends, I'm going to pull the G2 so I can grind down the outboard-most ridge so I can fully extend the foam grips. Nice thing about the foam over any other standard grip is that you can really play with their length. You can compress them into a small width if need be, or stretch them out fully. The throttle side I pulled on until the ridge. But I can easily grind the ridge off and inch worm them to their full length now that I have the G2 operational.

----stream of consciousness ahead :photog

I don't know if we all have a disease, but I never understood how anyone can buy a vehicle (car, boat, truck or bike) and not begin modding it insidiously. I think about running anything stock and my brain begins to hurt. I bet most of us were customizing their bicycles when we were youngsters; I know I was. So it started pretty young. There is a creativity which can't be denied; pure individualism. And boy does this internet thing exploit that drive eh?

Here's to all the awesome vendors we have busting their asses to bring us all these brilliant products! :beer
    thanosgp likes this.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring the 790.....there is a group of us....DV is 790 land
    thanosgp, TrailTrauma and Migolito like this.
  5. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    was going to bring 500 but may bring 790
    thanosgp, Nowwhat and Migolito like this.
  6. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are we going? :-D
    thanosgp likes this.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the good spots... let's ride
    thanosgp and ramirin like this.
  8. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Added the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze and low profile bar clamp. Super happy with it so far. I just did a two hour ride with lots of washboard and it didn't budge. It's holding a Moto G7, which is a very robust phone. I'm on my second Moto phone in the last couple years and they've been great. Water resistant as well. Currently running Gaia, Locus, or Google maps on the phone. I find even though I don't do much routing on the Zumo, I like having it up for an easy to read moving map and to control music from the phone. IMG_20200306_142652064_HDR.jpg IMG_20200306_142718532_HDR.jpg IMG_20200306_142739261_HDR.jpg
    kzeb likes this.
  9. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 3 speed Bannana seat sting ray with the shifter on the cross tube was my first true vehicle love. And I almost immediately had to clip an ace of spades to the rear stay with a clothes pin so it would hit the spokes to get that motorcycle sound as I rode around the neighborhood. Been modding every vehicle I've owned ever since.
    dano619 and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Are you kidding me? Where have you been. Lots of comments on here and more in the replacement windshield thread.

Bottom line is that it looks great, but mixed reviews in function. You might get lucky:deal
    Subaruvich likes this.
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I made a deal on a new 790 yesterday. I've had a 990 for the last 8 years. My 990 is fully decked for long trips and has all the off road accessories like Black Dog Skid plate, HDB hand guards, etc.

I'm going in today to write the check and pick out the accessories I want. I've decided to go minimal on the protective accessories like skid plates and nerf bars. Those things give protective from things I'm not likely to encounter on this bike, as I have a 500 and 300 KTM for the gnarly stuff.

I do want the cruise control. It's more to help when I'm passing thru towns and don't want to be focused on speed to avoid getting a performance award from Rosco P. Coltrane.

I'm also thinking of the heated grips. Has KTM improved the reliability here? The one on my 990 died within a year. It was a known problem with the throttle side.

I'm still debating luggage. I may want to go back and forth between soft and hard bags, depending on what I'm tackling.

A windscreen will be a likely addition. I absolutely love the Aeroflow on my 990, but they don't make one yet for the 790.
    dano619 likes this.
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats!

The stock skid plate is fine for graded roads and pavement just don't expect it to act as more than a splash guard. The tank is plenty tough and also protects the engine side cases.
    I was surprised how much I enjoy having cruise control on the 790, not just for keeping out of trouble but also for freedom of movement. It did feel very odd at first though (my first bike with cruise).
    I've used KTM OEM heated grips, Koso's and cheap Hothands on various bikes. I think the OEM heated grips are fine and installation is straight forward. Some really hate the separate controller though it doesn't bother me. Koso grips are nice too and the intergrated controller makes for a very neat install but will require more effort to get installed onto the KTM throttle tube. My maingripe with the Kosos was I found myself accidentally turning them off occasionally due to unintentionally bumping the control which is on the grip, which proved to be a bit of a nuisance.
    Luggage as always a personal choice. I run soft luggage but if the bike was for street use only I'd certainly consider hard luggage.
    The R windscreen in the low position isn't bad IMHO. It knocks wind off the chest. It's not an awesome, but it's workable.

Enjoy.
    Venturer and EvilSteve like this.
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    500 in DV is a waste, 701, 790 or 1290 perfect.
    Migolito likes this.
  16. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got only one response.. Would like to hear from more people.
    Did every one that installed a damper removed the oem one?
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did. Not because it would be harmful to leave it, it wouldn't be, you'd just still have back to center damping and want to run the damping lighter on the Scotts. I removed the OEM because it was unnecessary to leave it on and removing it clears more room for a radiator guard if desired. And when I eventually sell the bike I can put a nice fresh OEM damper back on and move the Scotts to the next bike.
    No-Fret, EvilSteve, ramirin and 2 others like this.
  18. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through 3 sets of KTM Stock heated grips (on the 990, but they do not appear to have changed), so recommend avoiding them.
    Best heated grips (that can take the beating, the wet, the falls and have proper grips) are AME, but we're still waiting for AME to make a version for ride by wire: https://www.amegrips.com/heat-off-road-full-waffle.html
  19. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve done 50.000km on my ‘09 990 SMT, 13.000km on a ‘12 1190 Adv, another 50.000km on a ‘13 1190 Adv R and now >30.000km on my ‘17 1290 SAR, all with a single pair of original KTM heated grips per bike.
    Never any issues.
    No-Fret and Venturer like this.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you decide to go with RG, there is one for sale in the flea market I believe.