KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was looking at the KTM My Ride app for phone the reviews turned me off. Lots of reports of connection errors and intermittent operation. I decided I can do without it.
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard the same, I just wanted to have a play with it and found it disabled.
    Ill probably end up frustrated with it and not use it anyway but want to have a fiddle since Ive got so much time on my hands at the moment?
  3. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    And besides that, mine wants to pair with my phone every time I turn the key on. I uninstalled the app from my phone but can't figure out a way to stop the bike from wanting to pair with it.
  4. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can navigate to KTM My Ride pairing menu in the TFT and then you will see an option to delete pairing!
    sluagh and 1coolbanana like this.
  5. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I must have overlooked that.
  6. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can simply turn off Bluetooth in the bikes menu. I leave mine on because I let it connect to my phone and helmet com set. That way I can control my music through the handlebar switch. I don’t have my comms set and phone paired.
    I don’t use the navigation often but have found that if you turn the bike on and let it connect to your phone first and then turn on the comms set it works fine.
  7. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    TT, I think you've suggested the Booster Plug before for the problem I have so I'm hoping you are knowledgeable about the Booster Plug. My 790 surges/stumbles when just coasting with a low load on the engine when it's running from 3.5k to 5k rpm, like it's starved for fuel. It only does it when the ambient temp is >65f and the engine is completely warmed up. It idles fine and accelerates smoothly always. I looked at the Booster Plug website and if I understand the explanation correctly it doesn't seem like it will help this situation for a closed loop fueling system (which I assume the 790 has). According to the explanation, in a closed loop system the ECU uses the lambda sensor feedback to change the A/F ratio back to the target value if it senses a variation so the booster only works in a transient condition, like accelerating. So, if you're operating at a fixed throttle position and steady rpm, the booster will try to fool the ECU into increasing the A/F ratio but it will respond to the lambda feedback and drive the A/F back to a lean condition.

I suppose that the first step probably should be to take it to the dealer but the only one around here I had any confidence in (See See KTM) closed up "for remodeling" and didn't reopen when they said they would March 1 and now with the virus thing who knows if they will ever reopen. So, I'm hoping for a modestly priced solution to at least try before I let somebody of questionable competence try to fix it.

I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the Booster Plug as possible fix, given the discussion above.

thanks.
  8. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm warming up to the idea of using this plate as a prefilter. It's dead easy to get to the main filter on this bike but the intakes are in a bad spot for sucking in airborne dirt and a prefilter as Rottwieller has done it looks to be less hassle than squeezing prefilters into the intake tubes and likely breathes a bit better as well. Not ready to make the jump yet but certainly intrigued.
    BobcatSig and nibby like this.
  10. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here. I'm liking the idea, should keep things a bit cleaner and added bonus of a bit more storage under the seat.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and no on the underseat storage. You gain some behind the seat latch brace but loose the deeper space in front of it since that will have to be left open to avoid blocking or damaging the prefilter. In my case I'm not sure the alarm pictured on the stock intake lid will fit in the space behind the seat latch.

20200328_083825.jpg
    nibby likes this.
  12. Beeners

Beeners Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. blackSP

blackSP Love the Pussy Wagon

Oddometer:
    Look what finally arrived, after 3 months of waiting! Plus a super nice Vanasche front sprocket protector. Stuff to do tomorrow ;}

IMG_20200328_165752.jpg
    BobcatSig, EvilSteve and Beeners like this.
  14. matrix17

matrix17 n00b

Oddometer:
    hey.....after looking through 250+ pages here, i have been given an amazing amount of insight on my bike - thanks! i am still, however, trying to figure out what skid plate Bamboo Baby (pg 205) has on his bike. Can anyone comment?[​IMG]
  15. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I already ordered one. I'm buying it because I want to protect my motor not because I want to gain under seat storage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  16. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I hate to break it to you but See See KTM is no more, at least as we know it. Despite their notice of 'remodeling' was really a guise for their sale. Word is that they've sold to Beaverton Honda Yamaha, and they are looking for a new location. A bummer because the idiots at Beaverton can go pound sand. When I bought my Beta, it was easily the worst bike purchase experience.

Your option for service is Gresham KTM, Motorsport Hillsboro or Power Motorsports down in Sublimit.
  17. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a
    TrTec Rugged 790 Adventure Bashplate
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I was impressed by Nathan at Gresham. He seemed very knowledgeable and did good work. Even cleaned my bike!
    krussell and BobcatSig like this.
  19. Lill-Erik

Lill-Erik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so this is my final version of the improved rear mudguard.
    I still use the mudguard from the old lc4 models part nr 54606010000.
    But instead of making a bracket to mount it to where the passenger pegs usualy mounts i used rivet nuts to bolt it straight to the airbox. The rivnuts are still outside of the filter so noting should get in from there, i will still put some sealant on it just to make shure.
    I have this idea that someone with good contact with Rottweiler Performance could have them integrate this mounting solution into the airbox they are developing, would be realy sweet.

IMG_20200329_151030.jpg IMG_20200329_151015.jpg IMG_20200329_151005.jpg
    leaf001, 990s, ramirin and 6 others like this.
  20. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool mod, just keep an eye out for wear marks on the swingarm. I have a Beta 350RR and the mudguard on Beta's 4Ts tend to wear away the coating into the swingarm's metal, so one trick is to lash a large zip tie around the center of the "yoke" to move the wear spot to the smooth zip tie surface.
    ramirin and EvilSteve like this.