KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like those, but can't find the size for the front.
  2. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camelion chain oiler transfered to Adv. Very clean and easy install. 1563200775171.jpg 1563200799025.jpg 1563200814726.jpg 1563200876369.jpg
  3. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used this to attach to the chain guide 1563200976299.jpg
  4. phixmup

phixmup возьми

Oddometer:
    What happened to the LIGHT weight ADV bike everyone was raving about, NOW FATTER, O'BOY!
    Venturer and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    The angle and welding of the sidestand and foot are different enough that not everything that works on one model works as well on the other.
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    the foot should always be flat to the pavement,(on level ground) regardless of what angles are taking place above. the foot should cross breeds.
  7. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Coober/wings combo here in Oz is expensive and doesn't give much in the way of hp gain, just corrects fuelling for the more open muffler (cat still fitted)

I'm looking at de-cat, wings and PCV, thought somebody here would have already done it.:hmmmmm

A Mate has this combo on his Duke with big gains.

I'm not necessarily looking for a lot more hp, but would like to get rid of cat, fit wings and have AFR's the best it can be.

Must start searching for de-cat/link pipes options - Any recommendations?? :ear(The Duke has an Austin racing link pipe)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  8. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    the arrow mid pipe looked like the most readily available gizmo.
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Anyone seen the post on the 790 Facebook page where a guy pulled apart the oem can and did some surgery? If there was a tutorial of sorts I might be game. I enjoy hearing my engine and stock the 790 is weak in that area unless I'm hard on it. Sometimes if the wind is just right and I turn my head I'm sure there's another bike coming up on me... Then I realize in just the right conditions my 790 CAN be heard, beyond its usual sewing machine hum...
    CaseyB likes this.
  10. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    The angles above influence the welding below, which causes some side stand foot enlargers to be model specific. Case in point: the Perun bearstand foot works on the R model and does not work for the standard model. I know this for a fact because I have the standard model and the foot does definitely not fit without Dremel action.

The Perun website agrees: „Due to sharper angle of OEM foot stand and hefty weld, doesn't fit on KTM 790 Adventure (non R), fits on R model.“

So, I would listen to what the manufacturers say or have a Dremel ready. :evil
  11. sailnbike

sailnbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Info. Could you go over what is involved in hooking up the heated grips. I want to do it at the same time as I install the Garmin as I assume that the grips connect into the harness in the headlight also. Does the dealer have to do anything in the setup to make the grips work? Thanks
  12. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dumped the bike a few times on a long weekend ride. The tank is very sturdy and the plastic guards prevent abrasion. I personally dont see the need for additional protection.
  13. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the other hand, the USA signal lights aren’t so durable. I’ll be looking for something more rugged/flexible.
    voyer and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. OzBooster

OzBooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BluetongueJack
    I have been looking for same, earlier mention of an Albury company with a link pipe to allow fit of a generic aftermarket pipe got me a number which i called , they make them, but again pretty expensive for what your getting so still waiting for more options to open up
    Looks to me like the mandrel bend decat do ok but the multi weld dont (no real surprise there )
    If you do get something and want to play i do have a dyno , personal use for my racebikes , not a business
    davorallyfan and Bluetonguejak like this.
  15. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    If you can’t find it, grind it!
  16. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a second request, I got a response back from the Fire Project Lead in charge of the spark arrester program at the USFS (Matt Von Bargen). He stated that the stock 790R muffler (635.05.082.000) is not a qualified spark arrester. He then stated "KTM is working on qualifying the 607.05.007.020 catalyst muffler as a spark arrester. Rules dictating the qualification of catalysts probably wont be out until 2020." I provided the P/N of the cat (641.05.050.000) with my original inquiry, so I don't where he got that P/N, or what bike the cat is used on.
  17. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I did a couple of things to improve the ability of the 790 to survive the desert trails here in Western Colorado. After having to pound out several large dents in the aluminum-foil skid plate, I added a layer of 2mm aluminum sheet down the middle of the stock skid plate. It's been great so far, with no more dents showing up.
    IMG_20190702_101251.jpg
    IMG_20190714_122826.jpg

I also drilled some vent holes for the exhaust system, especially for the nuclear-reactor catalytic converter.

The other concern I dealt with was the vulnerable sidestand switch, which is on the bottom of the sidestand, and doesn't look able to take much of a hit without breaking. In that case, you are pretty much stranded, so that had to be remedied. I removed the rear wheel, and pulled the chain away from the front sprocket, which allowed enough clearance to remove the sidestand switch from behind the swingarm chain guide.
    I then checked out the output voltages of the switch at it's 3 wires.

Yellow- Ground
    Red- 5V, reference voltage
    Pink-( output)- 3.6V with sidestand down, .4V with sidestand up.

I decided to do this the easy way for now, so rather than experimenting to find the right value resistor to bypass the switch and get the correct output voltage, I epoxied a small magnet to the switch, and verified it was sending the correct output signal.
    IMG_20190714_111428.jpg
    Just to make sure it stayed in place, I put some heat-shrink tubing around the unit, then stuffed it up under the fuel tank, and out of harm's way.
    IMG_20190714_120757.jpg

At 2500 miles, most of it off-road, this bike just keeps impressing. Places where the 950 was a handful are a breeze on the 790.
    IMG_20190715_100753.jpg
    ramirin, Dusty, MotoMinded and 9 others like this.
  18. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go with a Wings slip-on for my 2020 790 ADV R (when it hopefully arrives on schedule in November '19). US market Wings slip-ons come with spark arrestor screens attached to both of the DB killers included in the box.

Also planning on running the Arrow de-cat midpipe along with whatever aftermarket fueling correction hardware/firmware is available (to make things right with the Wings and d-cat) in November.

Catcons have no place on a motorcycle that's intended to be ridden off road. Too easy to accumulate dry grass/leaves/twigs/etc on/around/under the stock cat. I have NO desire to start any wildfires....
    ibgary and Fabricator like this.
  19. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While that’s been true for me in the past, on the 790, I only got one dB killer. Typically, I use the small dB killer, but on this bike, that’s not included so I’ve been running it without. It’s louder than I’d like, but not too bad, certainly quieter than husky701 without.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  20. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a true statement. My Wings did not arrive with 2 DB Killas.