KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    davyjones and KTMforget like this.
  2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I cant open your photo. However, i think i know what your looking for. In the mean time try what i did on my ktm500. Its a hack but. I eppxied a piece of rubber to the bottom of the stand. It keeps in from sinking. Try a piece of tire...
    Requiem84 likes this.
  3. RocketSnake

RocketSnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was made aware of this on my first ride as well, had a stick poke the radiator. No significant damage though.
    20190403_185100.jpg
  4. RocketSnake

RocketSnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already posted some pics in the KTM 790 adventure thread, but these might be better suited here:

20190420_183353.jpg
    3D-printed phone mount (KTM logo might be a little too much?).

20190420_214848.jpg
    Exhaust guard.

Sorry for double post.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I have one of these new bikes guess I'll be moving to this thread! :clap

Changes and additions I've made so far...
    Installed the OEM heated grips yesterday along with KTM branded Cyra handguards. I had to tweak the handguards a bit to add some more bend to them as the 790 bars have more sweep than their off-road bars do. I'm 2nd guessing that decision a little now... They fit fine but the sweep of the stock bars make them feel a bit narrow because the hand position tend to bring my elbows in a bit even though the bars are 31.5" wide. I suspect I'll be swapping out the bars for something with a bit less sweep.

On the list....
    CRG mirrors mounted on Rottweiler handguard mounts that I took off my 690 Enduro will be the next bit of bling to install once I decide whether to cut down the stock levers or find some after market ones. I've found the CRGs to be extremely durable and prefer them over the double-takes and the like because they hold position and don't vibrate, yet they click out of harms way when the bike decides to auger into the ground. This will be the third bike I've had this set of CRGs installed on and they have hit the ground brush, and tree limbs countless times without breaking.

Protecting the radiator since the grill looks questionable and closing up the hole in front of the skid plate enough to at least keep big rocks and mud clods from flying into the gap. I may fashion something out of expanded metal or plastic gutter guard (same look as expended metal) and then see what solutions appear over time.

Ergos: I have the tall seat (+20mm) on order to flatten and raise the seating a bit (34" inseam). I have a set of -20mm pegs from Bosley that were on the 690 Enduro. These will be added only if I feel I really need them.

Quick shifter+ - The bike came with it activated but no way to turn it on and off. I haven't made up my mind quite yet whether I will have the dealer disable it or pay for the ability to switch it on and off. It does work well but I ride multiple bikes and it's a bit annoying when I go to preload the shifter out of habit and the QS cuts the ignition thinking I'm going to complete a shift right then.

Not much else on the immediate horizon in the way of changes. A bit nicer exhaust note would be nice and the drop in weight a bonus but I'll hold off to let some additional solutions appear on the aftermarket. Still need to fit my Mosko Reckless 80 before too long to see how that goes. Oh, and still considering blacking the bike out.

Will be watching this thread to see what cool things other inmates are up to with their new rides.
  6. mudder

mudder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made a mount for the Touratech GPS mount.
    [​IMG]

Welded and painted.
    [​IMG]

Mounted.
    [​IMG]

I made it adjustable so I can see the GPS while sitting ...
    [​IMG]
    .... and standing ....
    [​IMG]
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mucking around investigating a mount solution for a 276Cx... There are 3 screws which hold the TFT display... 2 up top and one down below.
    Loosen the top 2, remove the bottom and...

2.jpg

The Screen will rotate up from 25 degrees off vertical thru to 45 degrees :)
    More better reading when standing? Will need to test further.
    1.jpg

I hate stooping to read when riding.

OEM position...
    [​IMG]

Rotated up after lower screw removal.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      393.7 KB
      Views:
  8. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no problem reading my screen standing up at its current angle. The issue you're going to have with a 276CX is that it is so big it will cover most of it while standing up, and no amount of rotation is going to correct this. With a smaller Montana I can read the tachometer standing up, but I can't see the top of the screen, like the current gear. And I tucked the montana as far back I could: as it is right now I rotated it up until it barely clears the windshield.
    IMG_5678.jpg IMG_5679.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    PSA - Accessing the two sets of 12V accy terminals in headlight mask;

KTM engineers have been nice enough to include a set of 12v switched and 12v constant on accy wires in the headlight mask of there bikes for several years.

Due to the complexity of the 790 adventures headlight mask the engineers designed a very handy access hatch to get to the wiring loom where they are stored. All one has to do on the 790R is remove the front fender. Pull out two button fasteners holding the access plate and the wires can be reached. Awesome design!

Sadly the folks on the assembly line didn't get the memo...

Here's a shot looking up at the bottom of the mask with the easy access panel removed.
    20190602_193245.jpg

Sadly the accy wires are no where to be found at the bottom of the loom. So Prepare to muddle thru pulling all this off to search for them.
    20190602_203051.jpg

20190602_203152.jpg

Ah... there they are. Just to the right of my thumb in the photo. Completely inaccessible from the access plate until I moved them.
    20190602_203331.jpg
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished up hooking up the GPS and heated grips tonight and got things buttoned back up. Eveything works! :)

I used the KTM GPS mount from the 790 Duke as it fits the Adventure as well. I like the positioning of it and it's not getting too easily stolen unless someone has at least one tool (the mount key for the powered cradle) or a lot of time and some wrenches. The KTM mount is secured by the handlebar clamps and the powered cradle is bolted to the mount.

GPS1.jpg GPS2.jpg
  11. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @[Art]
    Agree the 276 is same face print almost to the TFT screen... But I will not be broken :)
    Have now spent considerable time mocking up, measuring and drafting... Reckon I’m close :)

More soon!
  12. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, I never noticed this access hatch! Thanks for the info. I've updated the FAQ. Let me know if something is incorrect.
    ADVweekend and windblown101 like this.
  13. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sw Motech nav mount 79D78ED7-39A3-48D3-8516-B3AE250FA67F.jpeg
    davyjones likes this.
  15. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F2B5DC97-1219-4A8B-8355-F116C87A0AE7.jpeg
    davyjones likes this.
  16. Noneking

Noneking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved some stuff from my 1090 R to the 790 R

Airtime Adventure footpegs

IMG_4931.jpg

SW Motech luggage rack

IMG_4932.jpg

Touratech sidestand enlarger

IMG_4013.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Noneking

Oddometer:
    Stealth decat link pipe

IMG_5374.jpg
    The_Eccentric and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. Noneking

Oddometer:
    Custom sticker kit, to be applied next week

IMG_5303.jpg
  19. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Rodooo thanks for the photos. I've been looking for the best way to mount my Garmin Montana on the 790. I'd been moving towards the SW Motech but, based on your photos, looks like the Montana might block the view to the bike's dash when standing. Can you let us know if this is an issue or just the angle of the photo makes it look like that? Want to try and make sure whatever path I take will allow dash and GPS to be seen sitting and standing.