1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's strange. On their website, they still state that the mufflers come with the large DB killer installed, plus the small DB killer in the box. Maybe you just got stiffed. Did you contact Wings when it arrived with only the large DB killer?

http://wings.si/ver4/index.html?page=design
  2. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:

HA! "Not a true statement". Like as if I'm a Wings rep, making some statement for you to challenge. I only went by what's (still) on their website. At least ya didn't post "WRONG!!!" like many of the impolite web warriors do.

Common courtesy isn't so common anymore. See coloktmGS's post for the adult way to communicate.

I also ask you now................did you contact Wings about the missing 2nd DB killer?
    comradecasey likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The heated grips come with their own controller so no dealer activation required. The grip harness comes with spade connectors that will plug straight into the accy wires that are tucked inside the headlight housing.

I wired my Garmin to the always hot accy connectors and the grips to the switched acct connectors.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  4. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Here’s the response from Gorazd:
    That’s correct, with 790ADV is only one insert and it’s already installed and the smaller one is not available because it’s not needed.
    Best regards,
    Gorazd
    The_Eccentric and Oceandiving954 like this.
  5. sailnbike

sailnbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I needed to know. I am intending to use the ACC wires the same way and am picking up my grips today. Thank you
  6. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Look how the header pipe routes. A HDPE skid plate of the same or similar shape to the oem will get roasted.
  7. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can I run both my Garmin Montana and KTM heated grips on ACC2? I like a keyed “on” solution for these things.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I don't see why not. The Garmin and grips combined should not overload the circuit. To test; First drain the Garmins battery down a bit so that it will be both running and charging the internal battery when you plug it onto the mount. Turn it on and set the grips on high before you button things up. As I recall the Garmin might pull 1.5 amps or so when operating and charging. The grips likely pull less than 6.5 amps on high. Should be a 10amp fuse so you should be fine.
    ibgary and Venturer like this.
  9. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone posted a sound clip with the Wings slip-on yet?
  10. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs: i just confirmed with BD that they are currently NOT working on any Plug and Play lighting systems for the 790 Adv.
    Oceandiving954 and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. goldneox

goldneox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. jm65

jm65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Looks pretty bomb proof but heavy... I'm starting to suspect that all the folks designing aftermarket skid plates for the 790 are discovering that in order to get a stout enough mounting system to not cause problems they have to incorporate the outer slider tank mounts into the equation which if true would explain why all of them include wings surrounding the tanks even though that is not an area that appears to desperately need additional protection. If true, that's unfortunate but not the end of the world. I'm still holding out for now to see what other designs appear before jumping in. I want something better than the OEM splash guard, but would rather crush the stock splash guard than have a sturdy bash plate with a poor mounting system crush the case or exhaust.
    ibgary, Venturer and The_Eccentric like this.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I suspect that most if not all of the after market options are going to incorporate that front crush zone bracket that attaches to the case in one form or another. Without it there is simply nothing to attach too without building an entire engine cradle.
  15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuck, that’s ugly.
  16. jm65

jm65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the better fixation , in frame is this one , but maybe a anvil

https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/product/ktm-790-r-s-adventure-protection-combo/

Touratech opt for my solution :D , I should have filed a patent :jack

https://touratech-usa.com/store/OEM-Skid-Plate-Reinforcement-Kit-KTM-790-Adventure-R
  17. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    That solves it. Gorazd should update his website to reflect that some of the slip-ons come with a second DD killer, depending on the application. Clarification minimizes confusion.

Did yours have an SA screen? That was the main point of my original post (that the US market Wings DB killers included SA screens, and that's why I am choosing the Wings slip-on)...
    ibgary likes this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Seen the outback one and it certainly does look... stout.

Hadn't seen the touratech one before. I'm not sure theirs does much more than one could accomplish by sandwiching two OEM splash plates together but it actually surprises me they came out with a lightweight option. Maybe they did steal your design! ;)
  19. goldneox

goldneox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech option is not stupid ! If you find some Kevlar/carbon tank protection with it, it should be enough for "adventure"
    Brilloman likes this.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    SW MOTECH CRASH BARS:
    I like SWM stuff. They are generally affordable, the quality is good(welds, powdercoating, fit) and the designs are generally well thought out. I had a set of SWM Crashbars on my CB500X and the fit, finish and quality was good. They didn't rattle, rust or move for thousands of miles inluding riding in rain, street salts, mud. I had a set of highway pegs mounted to them AND a set of Daylight Running lights. Thats why I put crashbars on my Adventure bikes. Crash Bars allow me to add some basic layover protection, mount lights and add pegs for long distance ergodynamics. I understand many folks intend to race the Dakar on their 790, I do not. It's not my single track desert racing dakar bike (nor am I that good of a rider as it turns out).
    Below is a set of SWM Crash Bars that I mounted today. The welds are perfect, the Powedercoat is flawless, the design...lets get to that in a minute.
    INSTALL: Mounting SWM is always fun. SWM instructions suck as a general rule. However, even I can figure HOW to install these because they are a simple design with simple attachements. From begining to end it took me about 30 minutes to install. Use Blue loctite on every screw you install.
    Design: As you can see the Crash Bars are not real tight to the fuel tank. IMO, SWM did this to allow some flex/crush zone. In street riding they will not interfer with lane spliting, and they sit high enough to allow laying the bike over in a corner without a chance of contact. Obviously, on tight dirt single track they will interfer-Again, these are not meant for heavy off road riding. The bends in the bars are a strong suit for SWM. SWM uses bends to shape the bars instead of cuts and welds as some other manufacturers do. This makes for a much stronger joint. Also, these do have very thick walled barstock, but, are pretty light due to the basic design.
    Mounts: The mounts are attached to the engine. This is a weaker mount system than if attaching the mount using the frame. When the bike falls and takes a hit, all the energy is transfered to the mounts and then to the engine. However, for tip over or slow speed falls, I really don't see this as a practical problem. For at speed layovers/falls-DO NOT count on this mount system. For me that means no sIngle track dirt. Please post up IF you have personally seen where a SWM mount system has caused an issue breaking the engine.
    Cost: I paid about $250-
    Conclusions: I'll ride with these and evaluate as I go. At this point I'm really liking them for what they are intended for. IF I find myself doing more dirt that needs better protection...I'll keep looking.

Attached Files:

CaseyB likes this.